Thanks

No longer able to run ESET's on-line scanner. (Is proxy configured?)

It's been a while since I last run the scanner (in Windows 8.1). Now, when I try to run it I get the message " Security Alert. Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?"

Selected Yes, and they accepted the Terms of Use.

Soon after the scanner starts Initialisation I get the message "Can not get update. Is proxy configured?"

I have no idea what this means, but, as far as I know, I don't have one.

I had the same message when trying to use F-Secure's on-line scanner.

Can someone explain please?
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Thanks
    I had the same experience 2 days ago. Try again using Safe Mode with Networking.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-04-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That Revocation info message has been popping up for quite a few now and clicking on Yes and proceeding, so far hasn't had any adverse effects.

In IE - Tools - Internet options - Connections - LAN settings - ensure just the top auto box is checked and not the one for the Proxy server.

MiniToolBox will reset any Proxies http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...nitoolbox.html and it may also be worth running AdwCleaner.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

EDIT - Forgot about this cmd - if the previous suggestions don't resolve, run a cmd prompt as an administrator and enter netsh winhttp reset proxy

Normally that would return Direct access - no proxy but ESET seems to be finding something on your computer.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-04-11 at 18:56.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-04-11)

Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies.

Before I went to safe mode I ran Adwcleaner. It found and deleted uk.ask.com from Chrome (this is discovered and deleted every time I run Adwcleaner), and another Chrome entry C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Deleted : pdabfienifkbhoihedcgeogidfmibmhp whatever that is.

I then went to Safe Mode and ESET's scanner worked fine, finding and deleting C:\Users\David\Desktop\New folder\FoxitReader.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.AFO.gen potentially unwanted application

However I still can't run ESET in normal mode, still getting the message "Can not get update. Is proxy configured?" and I can't run F-secure's scanner either.

Oh yes, I ran the command too. It just confirms that there is no proxy.
    Last edited by Syncopator; 2016-04-11 at 20:13.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it works in Safe Mode with Networking, then see if it will work in a clean boot.

If it does, that will be easier to diagnose by adding back Startup menu items and non-MS services.

In Safe Mode with Networking your AV program will be isolated and depending upon what your AV program is, it may or not be isolated in a clean boot, but prior to running the ESET scan, it advises to disable the AV program.

I've never been one for advising disabling an AV program in normal mode, but sometimes it's necessary to troubleshoot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-04-12)

Thanks
    Thank you Sudo15, I will check later when I have more time.

Thanks
    That's been done Sudo15.

I had Blue Coats' K9 web protection installed (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) and it opened up with some message (which I forget) when I tried to scan after a clean boot. Internet Explorer wouldn't start.

I uninstalled it and went through the disabling and re-enabling palaver and I could scan with both ESET and F-Secure. So it seems to have been K9 ... which will now remain uninstalled.

Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's good news.

Safe Mode with Networking is a bit of a blanket approach in that only minimal services are loaded which tells you nothing about what could be causing the problem - so in future if something only works in that mode, see if it also works in a clean boot.