New Lounger
    Thanks

problem upgrading to Win 10

I have a HP Pavilion a6530f running Win 7. I have the Win 10 notification in the system tray.
    I clic on the Win 10 notification & the page that pops up states that win 10 cannot install
    Because the on board video is not compatible so I purchase a Video Card install then go to
    Device manager, disable the on board video under display adapter then under CMOS I
    Change primary video adapter to the pci express card on the advanced page, save & exit.
    I reboot & clic on the Win 10 & still it will not install because it is still is showing the old
    Settings for the on board video, but device mgr & CMOS still shows the new settings [pci Card].
    P.S. I was told by an IT guy that you disable the on board video in CMOS but after Thoroughly
    Looking thru Cmos I find nothing. Thank you

Thanks
    In the BIOS there should be a setting for Primary Video Adapter, possibly with choices of PCI, PCI-x1, PCI-x16 and Onboard. You need to change from Onboard to whatever connector your replacement video adapter uses. You may need to change this a couple of times if the settings don't save properly. If the settings cannot be saved then there should be a setting to revert to BIOS defaults. Choose this to refresh the BIOS then try changing the Primary Video Adapter settings again. If you still cannot get the settings to 'stick', check whether there's a newer BIOS version available.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-04-11 at 19:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rbl (2016-04-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download the Media Creation Tool and use that to upgrade to W10.
    Don't forget to make an image backup to external disk first.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Media creation tool takes me to the notification page in the Sys Tray that tells me what I have been getting[not compatible].
    Thanks And I also changed the Video Adapter to pci express the day I changed the Card.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have clicked on F5, bios default in CMOS, so now I get a different page when I open notification in sys tray.
    It states "thank you for reserving your free upgrade, your notification to upgrade could come in a few days or weeks"
    But I was notified weeks ago hence the notification in the sys tray???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbl
    I have clicked on F5, bios default in CMOS, so now I get a different page when I open notification in sys tray.
    It states "thank you for reserving your free upgrade, your notification to upgrade could come in a few days or weeks"
    But I was notified weeks ago hence the notification in the sys tray???
    After resetting the BIOS to its defaults, you then need to change and save the setting for Primary Video Adapter from Onboard to PCI-Express again (either PCI-x1 or PCI-x16 depending on the replacement video adapter you installed).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, Tried this twice, not working. I still get the win 10 reserved page' Thank you

Thanks
    Was your HP Pavilion A6530F originally supplied with Windows Vista?

What make/model is the replacement video adapter?

Is it working OK/as expected in Win 7?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rbl (2016-04-14)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbl View Post
    Rick, Tried this twice, not working. I still get the win 10 reserved page' Thank you
    It may be that Win 10 won't install if the on-board adaptor is incompatible, regardless of whether you add a compatible card. You can use the GWX control panel to get rid of everything to do with the Win 10 upgrade: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Rbl (2016-04-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Vista was original OS, Nvidia GE Force G210, And I installed Win 7 about six months before was working fine.
    Paul, It shows Card as being installed & working & of course I would like to upgrade to Win 10. THank you all.

Thanks
    It looks like your Pavilion A6530F came out mid-2009 and the HP Support website shows only Windows Vista drivers. However, if it's running Windows 7 OK and the Windows 10 upgrade only complains about the onboard graphics then you may be OK carrying up a manual install of Windows 10. (See step 9 in particular for more info about upgrading from manually downloaded media rather than using the GWX upgrade process.)

The Nvidia GeForce 210 was also released in 2009 but I was able to find Windows 10 drivers for it. (I made a guees that you're going to be installing the 64-bit version and live in the US.)

geforce.png
    Click to enlarge

If you manage to get Windows 10 installed then you should also be able to install the Win 10 drivers for the GeForce 210.

Make sure you take an image backup (using Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper, etc.) before trying the manual install, just in case you need to revert to Windows 7... in which case all you've lost is time.

Hope this helps...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Rbl (2016-04-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven’t been able to get back on for a while but a Friend & I reinstalled Win 7. I have several Computers & there was nothing much on this one that I could not replace using my cd’s,I also installed the Driver for the GE Force Video Card from the Disc. I now have Win 10 installed. I would like to thank all who replied & especially you Mr. Corbett. I know you put some time in on this & for that I will be forever grateful, Thank You.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you've now got Win 10 up and running. Thanks for letting us know.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For future use for anyone with a MB used a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. Uninstall the original video driver.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...?page=1&auth=1