Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 upgrades on "older" PCs

I have asked this type of question before, but wondered with Win10 being out for some time whether people's experiences with upgrading to Win10 will help me and others.

I have 3 PCs in the house:
    1. Late 2010 desktop running Win7
    2. Laptop running Win8.1 and Classic Shell
    3. 2014 desktop running Win8.1 also with Classic Shell

I am going to upgrade the Win8.1 PCs to Win10 soon.

As the desktop (#1) above is in its 6th year (and my main use PC)...I wonder whether it is really worth upgrading to Win10. Maybe it has 2 years of life left? After that, I may just buy a decent laptop to replace it (or use the one I already have) and plug in a large monitor. This desktop currently runs two Viewsonic VP191s (the old 4 * 3 format screens). I'm just not convinced that it is worth upgrading a 5.x year old desktop to Win10.

What do others think?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks
    It totally depends on whether or not you want Windows 10.

I have a really low-end Vista computer that I upgraded to 7, then to 8, then to 8.1. It worked just fine with 7 (what I have on it now) and 8 (with StartIsBack); but not so well with 8.1. I was able to get inexpensive copies of 7 and 8 through my job, so it didn't cost much to experiment.

I prefer 7, so that is what I am staying with.

Sometimes a clean install of whatever is currently on the computer (where the drive is completely wiped in the process) is all you need to get your computer running like new again.

Do a complete system backup before upgrading or reinstalling. In that way, you can try it to see if you like it, and revert back to what you had before if you don't like it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-04-13 at 11:09.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

kevmeist (2016-04-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I have Win10 running on an almost 10 year old core 2 duo dell 9200 just fine. Originally came with XP which was updated within a few months to Vista, then Win7, then Win8, then Win8.1, then Win10.

Joe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-15),kevmeist (2016-04-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, I have Macrium Reflect, so would always do a full backup first.

I'm certainly leaning to NOT upgrading the "older" Win7 system. Don't really need Win10 on that PC and it's what I use for most of my computing.

K

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're running Windows 7 on the "old" PC from 2010, and you also have Macrium Reflect, then why hesitate? Image the older system and then upgrade to Windows 10 so you can try it out for a few weeks. Install Classic Shell on it (like you did on 8.1) for familiarization and comparison.
    If you absolutely don't like 10 on the old hardware, then restore your image of 7.
    I've found that even some old Vista PCs (dual core CPUs) work amazingly well with Windows 10 (I had to pay for the licenses of course).
    You may discover that you still like your old system even when it runs 10.

RockE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

kevmeist (2016-04-14)

Thanks
    Since you're definitely going to upgrade the other two PCs to Windows 10, why not try out Windows 10 on those two PCs, to see what you think about Windows 10? If you like Windows 10, then go for it on the older PC. If you don't, then stay with Windows 7.

With a good backup in hand, you can always revert back with no problem, if you have upgraded and you change your mind.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a bad idea.....I'm going to do the laptop first once the current teaching semester is over. Then, the wife's desktop (8.1). Then, I'll re-evaluate whether I convert the Win7 desktop of mine.

Have you found anything that didn't work after upgrading from Win to Win10? Anything that you have to go fix in settings etc?

Thanks,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Since you're definitely going to upgrade the other two PCs to Windows 10, why not try out Windows 10 on those two PCs, to see what you think about Windows 10? If you like Windows 10, then go for it on the older PC. If you don't, then stay with Windows 7.

With a good backup in hand, you can always revert back with no problem, if you have upgraded and you change your mind.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Have you found anything that didn't work after upgrading from Win to Win10? Anything that you have to go fix in settings etc?
    Oops! I've been found out! I haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10.

My point in saying what I did was that you can try it out to see. I'll bet my old PC was not on the Windows 8 compatibility list, yet it worked very well with Windows 8. I'll bet it would work pretty well with Windows 10, but I don't know that for sure. What I need to do is try it, to see.

My guess is that yours will, as well; but I have no way of knowing that for sure. I know you were looking for more info than that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 2010 HP desktop which came with and has been running Windows 7. I decided maybe I'd like to try Windows 10 on this PC to familiarize myself with it rather than possibly having to eventually swallow it in one big gulp with a new PC.

I wasn't willing to risk my running Windows 7 however, so I took the probably unnecessary step of buying a new Windows 7 (Home) license for $60 dollars. I then installed Windows 7 fresh using that license and upgraded the result to Windows 10 "for free" which worked fine. I wanted to then do a clean install, but the one issue I've been unable to solve is that a clean install won't complete on this PC. I don't remember anymore exactly what the error was, but the bottom line was that the installation wouldn't complete, so I used "Reset This PC" from within the successful upgrade to get an "almost clean install" and then proceeded to install things as if it were a clean install.

I can't comment on what would have been my experience if I had decided to upgrade and use my working Windows 7, but I've been satisfied with the Windows 10 I ended up with. I don't know that it does anything I want that the Windows 7 didn't, but it runs just as well as Windows 7 on the PC.

I actually now have a dual boot system with both my original Windows 7 and Windows 10, but use Windows 10 almost exclusively.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are going to have all three PC running, taking advantage of the upgrade all to Win10 makes good sense to me, especially if you are pleased by Win8.1. There is no particular greater hardware requirement for Win10 than Win7 so in most cases it should run just fine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What about peripherals? If you have a five year old machine, then it's likely that any attached devices (e.g. printer, scanner) will be of a similar age. Will these work with Win10? Are suitable drivers available? If the answer to that is "No", then although Win10 is free, you would need to buy new devices to work with it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-16),kevmeist (2016-04-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most devices are USB attached except my Brother AIO printer (less than a year old and ethernet attached), so drivers should not be a problem. I still get updates for my video card, so that is current also.

It's answers like this that had me ask the question in the first place.

I respect all the folks in this group, so thanks for all the answers.

Just got back from your neck of the woods Bundaburra (visiting Melbourne, Merimbula and Sydney as well as a tour of the NZ south island). Great vacation.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    What about peripherals? If you have a five year old machine, then it's likely that any attached devices (e.g. printer, scanner) will be of a similar age. Will these work with Win10? Are suitable drivers available? If the answer to that is "No", then although Win10 is free, you would need to buy new devices to work with it.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-04-15 at 11:55.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    Yes, good point which initially concerned me. In my case, I found Win 10 compatible drivers for my 7-year old Epson printer and 5-year old Epson scanner, both of which work fine.

Thanks
    I'm amazed the amount of old hardware that works on Windows 10 (example, a 16 year old Laserjet attached to no name PCIE lpt adapter) and the relatively new devices that don't work (had to replace a relatively new video card that worked fine on Windows 8.1). Bottom line is you just have try it and see.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I upgraded (one system only so far), it was a laptop. The fingerprint reader system still doesn't work, at all. The video driver works but is suboptimal. It wouldn't be good enough for a modern FPS game I don't think.

The interesting thing is that despite it all, the laptop is "good enough". My client is happy and all the most important core functions work well. We'll keep digging away at the 2 remaining issues and getting them fully up and running would be nice. However even if the remaining items never get any better we judge the upgrade to be a success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast