iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Aprilís shower of updates for Windows and Office

Patch Watch

Aprilís shower of updates for Windows and Office

By Susan Bradley

An Adobe Flash Player update is critical ó a Samba exploit: not so much.

Aprilís security updating includes keeping our browsers current, fixing Windows components, and protecting ourselves from ransomware.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/aprils-shower-of-updates-for-windows-and-office/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks as always, Susan.

KB3146706 has been causing BSOD problems (possibly limited to Chinese users) and is now showing as unchecked in the list of updates. It may therefore be replaced or removed by Microsoft and should be avoided if not already installed, and uninstalled if already installed and causing problems.

http://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-se...sing-problems/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Added last two words.

Windows Update is always a puzzle. This week it showed 40 critical patches, only 14 of which were listed in Susanís column. This leaves 26 untouched and presumably carried forward. Occasionally, I try reading through the KB articles, but itís slow process, and not being a geek, doesnít often clarify whether Ineed a patch or not.

Sometimes I install everything to clear the backlog, except for any specifically listed as causing problems, and wonder whether I should make that my standard practice. Any suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ideally you shouldn't have a backlog, when one month's updates come out you should have the previous month's updates either installed or hidden.

If you have a current backlog - as I assume to be the case - then you should check back through previous Patch Watch reports, but we can't comment on which to install and which to hide without knowing which ones you have outstanding. I'd be wary of just installing the lot, however, as there might be some rogue ones among them. I certainly wouldn't install any unchecked ones.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Windows Update is always a puzzle. This week it showed 40 critical patches, only 14 of which were listed in Susanís column. This leaves 26 untouched and presumably carried forward. Occasionally, I try reading through the KB articles, but itís slow process, and not being a geek, doesnít often clarify whether Ineed a patch or not.

Sometimes I install everything to clear the backlog, except for any specifically listed as causing problems, and wonder whether I should make that my standard practice. Any suggestions?
    Unfortunately some patches/or parts of patches(not to be confused with Cumulative Patches), come with several identities an KB's, which seems perfectly logical in MS's omnipotence. For us mere mortals, Susan being one, as well as the rest of us, it is extremely confusing. If you dig around you will see how what you have very, very often cross references to the numbers that Susan is using and therefore one can follow her advice, BUT who has that kind of time?

The Patch system is EXTREMELY BROKEN. Try setting up a test partition to test out all of your patches before you install them in your main production partition.

Windows Update and Patches are the worse in Windows 7(for this and many other reasons) but Windows 8.1 still has plenty of problems too. That is one reason why MS started introducing CU(Cumulative Updates), for IE and then went fully the CU way in Windows 10. However, if one tries tracking down a problem in W 10 and/or IE, one soon finds numerous KB's/numbers for wholes and parts of patches, so the end result is very, very granular. One ends up wading through lists of changed DLL's, Exe's, etc, etc.

Disregarding the Desktop GUI changes(which I too dislike in W 8) each new version on Windows progresses under the hood, in this area, with better and better tools to deal with these problem. One just needs to learn about them.

Has anybody realized that with MS and Windows, one needs to become there own IT Pro??? Well every good IT Pros need to become a student of there subjects and have a good lab of test beds. This should include a test partition(for bare metal testing), maybe a VM and/or test computer.

This is why we LOVE Susan so much, even if as she is, as calls herself, Crusty and an ole fuddy duddy(I am tooo ). She reduces some of the pain of all of this BUT there is still always plenty of studying and testing left for us to do.

Best Regards,

Crysta