Thanks

New Computer - Can't Sign in with Microsoft Account

I have two desktop machines running Windows 10. I can sign into them easily using my Microsoft account's name and password.

I just bought a used laptop that was running Windows 7. I upgraded it to Windows 10, and can sign into it using the previous owner's local account name. There doesn't seem to be a password associated with it, so I just press Enter in the password field when signing in. Everything works fine, but I'd like to replace the previous user's local account with my own Microsoft account.

I'm trying to add my Microsoft account to the laptop, but it won't let me do it. When I try to add the account, I enter its name and password. Then I get this notice on the screen:
    Capture1.PNG

I don't know what a "Windows password" is, and as far as I know I've never had one. If I "leave the box blank and select Next" as instructed, I get an error message saying "Oops, something went wrong. Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."

The same thing happens if I enter previous passwords for my Microsoft account.

What is going on here?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-04-13 at 21:49. Reason: Specify error message
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try setting up local accounts on your two other machines. You can delete them later no problem. Sign into those local accounts on those machines, then try the Microsoft account on the Win7 upgrade machine. If it works, and you can create the MSA on that machine, then you can sign back into the MS Accounts you already have set up on the other machines, and delete the local accounts. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to geochemster For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-04-15)

Thanks
    I believe its looking for your local account password.

Jerry

Thanks
    I seem to have fixed it, but it was a bit clunky. I signed out of my Microsoft accounts on the other two machines, then entered the email address and password of my Microsoft account into the new laptop. After some huffing and chugging, I was signed into the new laptop with my Microsoft account.

One thing that isn't very clear is that to sign out of an account, you have to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then choose "Sign out" from the menu that appears on the screen. The Search box doesn't deliver any useful information when you ask to find 'sign out'. All it gives you is a bunch of internet search results and on 'this device', an option to Change the way currency is displayed. Very strange, IMHO.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-04-14 at 12:40. Reason: Copyedit
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    jwitalka: If it was, it's in trouble, since the local account has no password. When I just pressed Enter, I got the error message.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    One thing that isn't very clear is that to sign out of an account, you have to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then choose "Sign out" from the menu that appears on the screen. The Search box doesn't deliver any useful information when you ask to find 'sign out'. All it gives you is a bunch of internet search results and on 'this device', an option to Change the way currency is displayed. Very strange, IMHO.
    Another way to sign out is to click on the Start icon and then click on the account as shown at the top of the Start Menu. I agree neither method is intuitive.

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-04-15)

Thanks
    I'm catching on to this Windows 10 stuff. I read the Windows 10 All-in-One For Dummies book, pretty much from cover to cover, and found it very helpful. The Windows 10 Search feature can be helpful, too, but of course it doesn't seem to help with signing out.

I'm still waiting to see what actually syncs between my three Windows 10 machine, though.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA