2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Upgrade stuck on "Preparing to Install..."

Windows 10 Upgrade stuck on "Preparing toInstall..."

I intentionally waited for a while in the hope that Windows10 installation problems might be resolved before I tried it. Unfortunately, apparently, no such luck.

I'm trying to upgrade a Lenovo G500s with Windows 8.1 (x64 -build 9600) to Windows 10. After a verylong download time, the Windows 10 "Preparing for Installation..."message has appeared with a green progress bar that hasn't moved for an hour.The internet is filled with this problem, butit's unclear to me what the best course of action is, and I am dismayed thatthis problem has still apparently not been fixed by Microsoft.

In any event, what should I do? Does Microsoft actually have a fix?Is there any standard procedure to completethe Windows 10 installation?Or is itall trial and error until something works?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a hidden folder on your C-drive called $Windows.~BT. In it there is a Sources folder. Open it. Scroll down, and you will find a file named install.esd. Copy this file elsewhere to a known location. then follow instructions here. All you need do is download the esd decrypter software, place install.esd in that folder, and run command prompt as administrator.
    Code:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/instructions-create-a-bootable-iso-file-using-esd/d2768b51-221a-436e-af4e-d3b9118a8864?page=1&auth=1
    After you have created the iso, reboot to cancel any Windows Updates actions, mount ISO, and run setup. Your computer will be updated.
    Last edited by geochemster; 2016-04-14 at 15:01.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, geochemster, for your response. It turns out I was too impatient. After about 11 hours, Windows 10 DID finally come up, preserving my desktop, WiFi connection, and networked printer. Microsoft messages said it would only take 90 minutes, so that's why I thought something was wrong. In any event, here is a brief chronology of my experience:

After several days of attempting to download Windows 10, I took the PC home, attached it to my home Wifi, and let it run all night. Here's a few benchmark times with MS messages in quotation marks:
    3 am - "Downloading Windows 10; 2,887.7 MB total 17% complete"
    7 am: "38% complete "
    10 am: "95 % complete "
    10:20 am: "Preparing for Installation" with green progress bar about 30 % complete
    11:36 am: same as above - no apparent progress
    1 pm: "Starting Upgrade"
    1:10 pm: "Configuring Update for Windows 10 - 25% complete"
    1:12 pm: "100% Complete - restarting"
    1:15 pm: "Upgrading Windows - Copying files 2%"
    1:25 pm: "Upgrading Windows - Copying files 48%"
    1:54 pm: "Configuring Settings - 35%"
    2:04 pm: "Welcome to Windows 10"
    2:08 pm: "We updated your PC"
    2:47 pm: Desktop appears, with icons in place; Windows 10 apparently functioning properly

Elapsed time: about 12 hours from when I started keeping track.

So thanks again !!!