Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No April updates

It seems I am in trouble?!I have Win 7(32),with GWX panel active for some time,but so far I never had problem getting the monthly updates.Today I read Ms.Susan's detailed article and realize that I do not and it seems can not receive the April updates(maybe others too).My setting has always been receive updates and me deciding when to download them(for many years now).I had been running check for updates for a long time(over hours)and other than an optional one I had last time un-downloaded,there is NO NOTIFICATION,no trace of the many April important updates.My question is:what am I to do?Can I ignore this and wait for next month,or stop having any updates from MS(sounds really dangerous).I do have Avast Pro,Malwarebytes Pro,Windows Defender,Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free,but I always had these before with no problems.I always wait for Susan's last words and downloaded all that was safe and necessary according to her views.Now what?Please help if possible.Thank you!P.S.I run virus scan by Avast,Win.Defender and Malwareb.once a week regularly.(Showing all clear)

Thanks
    Have you tried settings>control panel>windows updates and click on "Check for updates"?
    It takes an extremely long time to find the updates and then it takes an extremely long time for them to download and install.
    I just did my Girlfriends W7 x64 and it took 1 1/2 hrs. to find them and another 40 minutes to start D/L'ing them and install.
    MS is punishing us for not upgrading to W10.
    Can I ignore this and wait for next month
    I wouldn't recommend that course of action.
    I do have Avast Pro,Malwarebytes Pro,Windows Defender,Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free,but I always had these before with no problems
    Those are fine but they won't replace security updates.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-04-14 at 19:03. Reason: add info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-04-14)

Thanks
    The time delay is extremely variable. Today, 4/14/2016 at 2:15pm EDT, I downloaded and installed 15 updates (8 at first then 7 more) in about 10 minutes. This is for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

It looks like the download time is just the luck of the load at the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-04-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've been troubleshooting this Win 7 laptop by factory resetting it then restoring it with a system image and when I went to check if any updates were being offered, was told to Check for updates.

I had to run that overnight for it to find them and it took about 4 hrs to download and install the 19 I vetted from the 26 Important and 3 Optional.

My other laptop, I got them in two batches - the first one was a mix of Important and Optional of which I installed 4 Important - 9.3MB in total which didn't show any progress on the Downloading for a couple of hours and then suddenly prompted me to restart.

Not long after I got a notification for 26 more of which I installed 18 and it was the best part of 2 hours downloading before any progress in KBs was shown.

The first batch didn't include the MSRT update which came in the second.

I don't know if MS has done things this way to ease the load on their servers, but it seemed very ad hoc.

You could wait to see if they come on their own or just leave it checking for updates as it definitely seems to be a waiting game for Win 7 now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-04-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I OWE ALL OF YOU A BIG APOLOGY.Because this has never happened to me so far,I thought there was a failure to load the new updates,and of course,there was no notification from MS.So after about an hour or running check for updates without any result,I gave up.Today,I had to leave my home for about 4 hrs and I decided to run the check for updates as a final try.Sure enough,by the time I got back,there were 18 updates,that took the usual several hours to download and install.SO FINALLY I GOT THE APRIL UPDATES.But the moral of this story-if you allow me-that there is no end to what MS produces to annoy the poor mortals using Windows.I have a desktop with XP-useless,I had an HP laptop with Vista,that one day started showing a message of physical dump which scared me to take the computer to Geek squad.When I got it back,it was TOTALLY USELESS,and didn't even resemble the usual desktop,etc.so it ended at the local recycling,and now I have my last Win 7(32)netbook,that works well(when MS doesn't invent something new like now happened),and I have GWX to scare Win 10 away.But I already bought an iPad,and am looking at Apple,because I am sick of MS always improving(?)what works well,and here I understand my XP system too!That will be the end of my Windows computing,which is started in Feb.2004.I am 78,so I don't have time for all the garbage that MS decides to unload all the time.And to end,the FREE Win 10 is questionable.If there is one thing one learns is,that NOTHING IS FREE in this life.Thank you all,and apologies for this and for this issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macko1944 For This Useful Post:

dohmixer (2016-04-20)

Thanks
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out and I can certainly understand your frustration.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-04-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I clean installed Win7 on my brother's PC which was crawling something terrible by swapping an SSD boot drive for the HDD.

I installed 64-bit Win7 Pro w/SP1 and then 10.6.1 of WSUSOffline and then the latest drivers from the chip makers. Then I connected it to the Internet and started Windows Update. Quit after over 3 hours and no update list yet appeared.

Went searching online that evening found Woody Leonard and Ed Bott on this problem with Win7. Found this offered as a solution and within 3 min of installing it a list appeared with 151 updates and 62 optionals.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

With people choosing to not install Windows Update updates due to the unrelenting pressure via that mechanism to upgrade to Win10, I'm guessing I am not the only one who missed this one.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-04-15),Sudo15 (2016-04-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think I probably hid that update along with another Update Agent update MS are pushing to ease the upgrade from Win 7 and 8 to Win 10.

These days I treat all updates with suspicion that relate to the Update Agent but may just install that one.

Thanks
    Found this offered as a solution and within 3 min of installing it a list appeared with 151 updates and 62 optionals.
    Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I've had that KB installed since Feb. and it hasn't helped whatsoever. There was another KB3138612 offered in "optional updates" in the april batch so I downloaded it also, will have to wait and see if it makes a difference next month. Maybe it's a revised KB as MS has done a lot of in the past.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    April has been interesting Windows updatewise for me on my main Windows machine. I received update notifications on the 10th, the 12th (Defender), the 13th and today on the 15th (Defender). I suppose one of the benefits of Win10 and the new update 'unschedule' policy may be timelier updates for everyone (Win7).

Thanks
    same problem on an older laptop.
    I read this page in my search for a solution:
    https://blog.krissmilne.tech/windows...ng-for-updates

Following suggestion #2 and updating the Windows Update client for Windows 7 sorted out my problem. Download the latest client for your version of Windows (32 or 64 bit) here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135445

Quote:
    Note: You will need to stop windows from checking for updates before installing the update.

similar applies here with the microsoft fixes. some have installed two 3MB hotfixes in sequence, KB3102810 and KB3135445, after which Windows Update only takes a few minutes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got 15 important updates waiting (only 13 have checked boxes) and Woody is saying it's not a good time to let the updates loose on your computers. Even the Office updates are suspect. So as I have for many years, I'm waiting until he gives the go-ahead.

Thanks
    My W7 64 bit computers updated on WU day albeit slow to find the updates but 2 days ago I tried updating my old W7 32 bit computer and after 6/7 hrs. a day, it can't find the updates. I tried most of cpwilson's fixes but nothing works.
    It must be a message from GOD ( MicroSoft ) to get a new computer with W10, LOL. Look's like I will have 1 less computer online.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had a strange experience this afternoon.

I had to restore my other laptop back to the 4th April to rectify a Task Scheduler corruption and left it checking for updates for a couple of hours.

Came back to find it still checking for updates but with a notification in the system tray that there were updates.

Stopped the checking for updates in Task Manager - closed then reopened the Windows Update window and no sign of them.

Restarted and then went back into Windows Update to find 16 waiting - after hiding one, it has been at 0 KB total for the last half hour or so - but at least they are there

@ lumpy95 - following a system image restore on this laptop (as well), I left it checking for updates overnight after giving up on a day time search and they were waiting for me in the morning.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-04-17 at 11:44.

Thanks
    @ lumpy95 - following a system image restore on this laptop (as well), I left it checking for updates overnight after giving up on a day time search and they were waiting for me in the morning.
    Hmmm, guess they should call them "Night Owl" Updates then? At least you are making more progress than I am I started early this morning ( PST ) and nothing so far today either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast