Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 - what am I missing?

I have at last succumbed to MS nags and upgraded to Windows 10. Apart from the PC working faster I cannot see any other difference. Well, the taskbar has more information. But all my previous program icons are there on the same coloured desktop and the 'Start' button produces the same Win7-look menu. No tiles or confusing boxes, or strange pop-up notifications.

That, I guess, is down to the Start8 app I installed on my Win 8.1 machine - although I thought I read some months back that Start8 would not work on Win10. Obviously does.....

I'm posting this in the General Windows forum as it may reassure some others still hesitant about upgrading - that you can still have the Win7 experience with Win10 and its under-the-hood benefits.

However, I really wonder whether in limiting myself to the old ways by using Start8 that I'm missing out on what the new way has to offer. Any thoughts?
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    some months back
    That usually is a 'lifetime' in respect to software programmers. I saw the same thing with the Classic Shell program but after Win10 started being installed there has been a couple or more updates to their program.

Thanks
    However, I really wonder whether in limiting myself to the old ways by using Start8 that I'm missing out on what the new way has to offer. Any thoughts?
    I was a Classic Shell User with Windows 8.1 because I didn't care for the Start Screen. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I decide to try the native Gui and found I really liked it and no longer use Classic Shell. Window 10 has a Start Menu that is a combination of the Widows 8 Start Screen and the Window 7 menu. I pin my most frequently used apps to the Task bar and a secondary tier is pinned to Start. I unpinned from Start the apps I don't use. My advice would be to disable Start 8 and try the new GUI for awhile and see how you like it. You can always go back to Start 8 if you prefer.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to remember in using Pin to Start that the icon ends at the bottom of the list of Tiles so I find it and drag to the top.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    I have at last succumbed to MS nags and upgraded to Windows 10. Apart from the PC working faster I cannot see any other difference.
    I'm assuming that you know this already but if someday your computer slows to a crawl, or Microsoft decides that your Graphics Card needs new drivers or whatever, you'll know why most people are reluctant to go with Win 10 - Mandatory Windows Updates. Good luck!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I believe you can disable automatic driver updates by right clicking "This PC" in File Explorer, select "Properties", click on the "Advanced system settings", click on the Hardware tab, click "Device Installation Settings" button, select the option you want.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Different to Start8? If so, how?

Thanks for all replies. I will have a go disabling Start8 - or will I have to uninstall it?
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Different to Start8? If so, how?

Thanks for all replies. I will have a go disabling Start8 - or will I have to uninstall it?
    Right-click the Start button, might have an Exit or Close on the list. Classic Start has an Exit and doesn't come back until restarting/rebooting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Right-click the Start button, might have an Exit or Close on the list. Classic Start has an Exit and doesn't come back until restarting/rebooting.
    Right-clicking only gives Configure, Run, Close Down.
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right-clicking only gives Configure, Run, Close Down.
    Does the Close Down shut the program off or turn the computer off? If it only shuts down the program you should get the normal Start menu.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Does the Close Down shut the program off or turn the computer off? If it only shuts down the program you should get the normal Start menu.
    It shuts down the computer. I'm attempting to download Start10, but having problems with Stardock recognising my account. Will report back.
    Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I believe you can disable automatic driver updates by right clicking "This PC" in File Explorer, select "Properties", click on the "Advanced system settings", click on the Hardware tab, click "Device Installation Settings" button, select the option you want.
    That references Apps and Icons for hardware, but no mention of drivers that I can find.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Bruce, Joe's procedure used to have an option for preventing driver updates. One of the build updates must have changed that to what you now see. Another alternative from the How To Geek is:
    Prevent a Driver or Update From Being Installed from Windows Update
    Just uninstalling drivers or updates won’t prevent them from being installed again. There’s no way to “hide” an update or block updates from within Windows itself, but Microsoft provides a downloadable tool to do this. It’s intended for temporarily hiding buggy or otherwise problematic while they don’t work properly on your system.
    Download and run the “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter for Windows 10 from Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...source=twitter) .

When you run this troubleshooter, it will search for available updates and allow you to “hide” them, preventing Windows from automatically installing them. In the future, you can run this troubleshooter again and unhide the updates when you want to install them.

If you want to temporarily prevent Windows from automatically downloading and installing any updates, you can do it without using the above tool to block updates. Just set your current Internet connection as “metered” and Windows won’t download updates while connected to it — at least until you tell Windows the connection isn’t metered anymore.
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Yeah, some build changed the dialog. I don't know if that means the functionality was changed. I wish for sure that I knew of a device which would get a driver update from WU. I'd change the setting and try it.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast