Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 UPDATE Stalls (Update, not Upgrade)

I have a fairly old Acer PC that was originally W7 - successfully upgraded to W10 a few months back. I do not use this machine much for anything except video recording and editing, and everything has run fine since the W10 upgrade.

My problem is that the monthly W10 Updates always stall on that one machine at 86% - During the normal update process the machine does restart one or more times, and then when the bottom status shows that it is configuring settings 46% and the entire update status hits 86%, it simply stops. I have let it sit for days, and nothing further ever happens. When I finally force power down and re-boot, it rolls back the updates and works fine again until the next monthly update, when the problems happens all over again.

Any idea how I can fix this, or at least find out what is causing the problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I have not tried that yet, but will give it a shot today. Thanx.

Thanks

Check the Windows Error Logs

Quote Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post

Any idea how I can fix this, or at least find out what is causing the problem?
    Might be a permissions issue.

Have you looked at the Windows Error Logs? That might give you a clue. Alternatively, you can look at the Windows Update log files if you've got lots of time.