Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with puzzling BSOD

I could use some advice as to how to identify what is causing a puzzling BSOD I have a dual boot Windows 7 (my main Desktop) and Windows 10 in a test configuration. About 2 weeks ago I started to see BSOD many times per day, randomly in Windows 7. Some days, it is infrequent. Usually the message is BAD POOL CALLER. Crash dump analysis often refers to TCPIP.SYS.
    I could not figure out that anything had changed other than a new version of BitDefender. I did an image restore of a backup I took weeks before when the system was stable and the restored image also started to BSOD regularly!
    I had not booted into Windows 10 for a few weeks. When I did so yesterday it also crashed with BAD POOL CALLER on the same hardware. It is too coincidental to think there is a driver problem on 2 different OS's without obvious updates but both have Malwarebytes and BitDefender as common.
    I suspected memory and ran Memtest overnight with zero errors.
    I am guessing it is a hardware issue but have no idea how to find it. I have an older ASUS Motherboard GA-EP45-UDR3.

Any advice on how I identify what is bad? For anyone who asks, I attach Minidumps.
    Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    could try this hot fix
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2832829

it relates to users win7 sp1 installed displaying error 0x00000019 (BAD POOL CALLER)

dumps relate to caused by tcpip.sys+8cd26
    address ntoskrnl.exe+73c00

as said in the link "Not all "Stop 0x00000019" errors are caused by this issue".
    sometimes for tcpip.sys the first thing I would do is update the NIC (network card) and/or WiFi
    (wireless) drivers. Check with the System Maker (Motherboard Maker for custom
    systems) if on-board and with the actual device makers' sites.
    Last edited by cpwilson; 2016-04-15 at 16:21.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gigabyte MB not ASUS.

Realtek 8111C Gigabit LAN chip in both MB revisions

Update drivers for Win7 and Win10 is first step:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

041416-14554-01.dmp 4/14/2016 3:40:32 PM BAD_POOL_HEADER
    0x00000019
    00000000`00000020
    fffffa80`0ae33330
    fffffa80`0ae33350
    00000000`0402000d
    tcpip.sys
    tcpip.sys+8cd26 x64
    ntoskrnl.exe+73c00

041416-14445-01.dmp 4/14/2016 4:06:00 PM BAD_POOL_HEADER
    0x00000019
    00000000`00000020
    fffffa80`0c0b60e0
    fffffa80`0c0b6100
    00000000`04020004
    tcpip.sys
    tcpip.sys+8cd26 x64
    ntoskrnl.exe+73c00

BAD_POOL_HEADER error 19, NMI (nonmaskable Interrupt) error occurred both times involving tcpip.sys

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2921#sp
    Hopefully your BIOS is up to date (F12, 18JAN2010) running Win10.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-5abea875c738
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-04-15 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Uninstall both MBAM and BitDefender, following the instructions here.

Once uninstalled, MBAM can be reinstalled and reconfigured. BitDefender should also work correctly but, as the BD Firewall driver, bdfwfpf.sys (version 7.00.16), seems to be the cause, you might need to configure BD to trust MBAM.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know how you can't get good help anymore? Well your BAD POOL CALLER refers to an unsatisfactory pool cleaning service. If you call around I'm sure you can find a better one!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, thanks everybody. To provide answers, I did most of that.

1. Sorry about the Asus typo! I have updated the NIC Realtek drivers and I use BIOS F12. I have no wifi installed on this machine.
    2. MBAM does trust BD and vice versa per the instructions. Disabling MBAM does not help.
    3. The issue happens in Windows 10 and Windows 7 SP1 on the same hardware.
    4. I will try the MS fix. Thanks for the tip. Occasionally the crash is an IRQL error in tcpip.sys. Maybe a bad NIC chip on the mobo?

and the kicker:

Today I bought Easeus Todo backup and burnt their WinPE standalone boot program in compatibility mode under Windows 10. i.e. no drivers taken from my system. That standalone boot fails with a BAD Pool Caller error when trying to take a backup. Memtest runs clean. It is very puzzling! I bet on hardware, but if not memory then what? A bad mobo?
    Brian

Thanks
    Did you do exactly as I suggested in #4?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Did you do exactly as I suggested in #4?
    Not exactly, but i think you are on the right track. What threw me was the fact that a WINPE disk also had the error. I have a lot of customization and exclusions in the products and neither allows settings to be saved so I wanted to not uninstall until I knew I needed to.
    I first renamed both BD and Malwarebytes directories so neither would run. I had no BSOD crashes for 24 hours. I then reactivated BD and I have run a further 24 hours without BSOD. So it appears to be related to MB which did do an automatic upgrade a few weeks ago.
    So now my next step will be to uninstall and reinstall MB. I am hoping not to have to uninstall BD.
    Many thanks for your help!
    Brian

Thanks
    Ensure that you have the latest versions of both software to install to begin with. It's possible there's *something else* in the mix, so if clean software installs + exclusions doesn't fix it, try the 2015 BD version + the latest MBAM.

I've also been wondering about the native Windows firewall status, some 3rd party firewalls/suites use parts of the built-in firewall, you could try activating the Windows firewall to see if that (it might offer to unblock... ?) helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mwac.sys the offending module.

I bought a new Windows 10 PC. Believe it or not I started get badpool caller errors! Only this time, it clearly identified the module as mwac.sys. That must have been the previous problem as well. Malwarebytes support says they have an issue with BitDefender and are working to prove it to BD so they can fix it.
    Many complaints on other boards.
    These 2 products are currently not compatible. And yes, mwac.sys is excluded in BD. Makes no difference. I have turned off BD. I can't live with all the crashes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrener For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-06)

Thanks
    Not being a BD fan, I'd uninstall it completely, like with Revo Uninstaller, and activate Windows Defender, at least for troubleshooting purposes.

Malware Bytes is NOT an Anti-Virus program, as such, so should be supplemented by a true AV program (like, Windows Defender) and a good Anti-Spyware program as well, like, "Super Anti-Spyware, FREE" which will get rid of both PUP's and Tracking Cookies, a very real security hazard.

Try it.... at this point you've nothing to loose. Eh?

Cheers mate, and good luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Not being a BD fan, I'd uninstall it completely, like with Revo Uninstaller, and activate Windows Defender, at least for troubleshooting purposes.

Malware Bytes is NOT an Anti-Virus program, as such, so should be supplemented by a true AV program (like, Windows Defender) and a good Anti-Spyware program as well, like, "Super Anti-Spyware, FREE" which will get rid of both PUP's and Tracking Cookies, a very real security hazard.

Try it.... at this point you've nothing to loose. Eh?

Cheers mate, and good luck!
    The Doctor
    Thanks was not familiar with that program. MB and BD have been my combination for a long time. BD is always rated in the comparatives as one of the best. Kaspersky screwed up my machine and I did not like it. I have paid for licenses. So not sure why is BD a not a 'True" AV program?
    Are you suggesting MB and Super anti spyware BOTH be installed? Tracking cookies are deleted by Better Privacy in FireFox.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I heard back from Malwarebytes support. There is a known issue with BD causing thsi issue. They state that they are attempting to get bitdefender to fix the issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and install the free utility called 'who crashed'. After a crash in safe mode open the program to identify the program causing the crash. in my case it was, incredibly, Windows Defender -which once eliminated and swapped for another AV cleared my problem completely.
    Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlZeimer View Post
    Download and install the free utility called 'who crashed'. After a crash in safe mode open the program to identify the program causing the crash. in my case it was, incredibly, Windows Defender -which once eliminated and swapped for another AV cleared my problem completely.
    Dave
    I believe I mentioned earlier that it is mwac.sys. Malwarebytes have proved to Bitdefender that it is a BD issue and have given them scripts to recreate the issue. Hopefully BD will fix it.I have had to disable Malwarebytes although they are not the culprit.