2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

advice on selecting DDR4 to match mobo requirements

I want to build a new rig on the ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula mobo. I found and downloaded the manual for it. I am concerned that, if I buy RAM that is not on their approved list, it will fail and they will tell me I didn't follow their instructions. I have seen such replies when reading user reviews concerning ASUS. There is a long list of RAM in the manual, but I can't find any of it. When I find DDR4 at Newegg or Amazon, I look and don't see it in the manual. If I had a choice, I would install 2 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX (or something from G. Skill). ASUS lists lots of Corsair, but no LPX. The listed RAM is XMP.

Advice? Should I take a chance and buy the RAM I want, or keep looking for approved RAM? This is not an obstacle I expected. It should be simple.

Thanks
    Check Amazon. See the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MAXIMUS-V.../dp/B019U0VWKW

Thanks
    Here's what I would do in your case:

1. If/when you find the correct RAM, write down very detailed notes as to what you bought, so you won't have to do the research again, should you ever have to buy RAM again.

2. Buy used RAM on Ebay. It's usually really cheap, and so if you happen to get the wrong RAM, you didn't lose much.

I've bought RAM that didn't work. I spent a long time going over every possible requirement, until I was sure I had the correct RAM. But it didn't work. I contacted the vendor, who asked me, "Do you have an AMD processor?" "No, an Intel". "Reread the description I put on Ebay - it's only for AMD processors!" I looked again, and he was right - that's what it said on his Ebay listing. It was more trouble to exchange it for something else than to lose the $15 I paid for it, so I ate the $15.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    See the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section
    That always looks like advertising to me because the items rarely relate to each other.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. The reading I did this morning (specs for RAM) showed some of them listed for Z170 boards, which is what the ASUS board uses. I don't have a need for fast RAM, so I will probably shop for something towards the lower end of the speeds supported. I am thinking that a 2666 or 2400 would be adequate and less expensive than the really fast ones.

I have also considered waiting until I buy the board, then calling ASUS to ask them for help. I have heard mixed stories about how helpful they have been to other builders.

Thanks
    Assuming you mean the latest ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA (Z170 chipset) http://www2.corsair.com/configurator...sc=&id=6110289 I don't see the FORMULA version specifically listed on G.Skill's configurator but memory listed for the other MAXIMUS VIII versions should work fine.

DDR3 and 4 are less fussy than the older versions but you have to be cautious when it comes to filling all the memory slots, especially to max out the full amount of RAM, that's where things can become tricky.

LP, LPX, LoVo, Green, ECO usually refer to the same thing, low voltage (1.25 - 1.35v) memory, 'standard' memory can be up to ~1.65v, though the LP versions can normally manage the higher voltages just as well.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Approved RAM is not really needed. The chips are made by a handful of makers. The stick layout is pretty standardized. It is rare for memory not to work these days. DDR4 seems to have been a painless introduction. Unless you push the envelope in speed, timings or voltage there rarely is an issue. Further, since DDR2 days and the extraordinary algorithms governing the CPU's L2 cache, RAM speed is rather unimportant.

Sure would have been nice if you posted the link to what you were contemplating, but I am confident it will work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2016-04-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And XMP is just Intel's standard for holding the stick's specified memory timings (several settings) for the CPU to detect and use automatically without having to set it in BIOS (UEFI).

Another standard to do the same thing is JEDEC's SPD and EPP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2016-04-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, thanks for the comments.

FN - the link to the mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-265-_-Product

I am pleased to learn that the RAM speed spec is not a big deal. I have assumed that in the past and not gone for the high end, faster RAM. I don't intend to play games with it, I just want to play with the computer on its own merits and use it for the usual daily tasks. This mobo is overkill for most applications, but that gives me more hardware for experimenting.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just try it

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    ... Advice? Should I take a chance ...
    IMHO definitely.

By something really cheap with minimum requirements met from ebay to just get the rig going.

Then head over to the Crucial web site and let their memory configuration tool make it's recommendation(s). Very recently I went this way to upgrade memory on an older Dell rig and could not be happier.

If I understood it correctly Crucial gives you a full refund if it does not work after you go this way!

And on top of it the memory from Crucial was even a few bucks less than from Newegg!
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The memory controller on all of the Skylake CPUs supports DDR4 1.2V 2,133MHz speeds so I see no performance enhancement point in exceeding that speed despite the MB allowing it. There is very minimal gain for the reasons I have stated. You can select CAS14-16 timings. CAS14 will give about a 5% performance boost to video rendering---only significant if rendering long or high resolution videos. CAS 15 seems pretty standard (common) right now for the best performance for the dollar. Some 2,400MHz DDR4 (which is a JEDEC specification unlike the higher speeds) is coming in at the same price range as the 2,133MHz...so grab the cheapest. It all should have a lifetime warranty. As was said, Crucial guarantees their RAM will work if using their Adviser or money back.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/memor...ort=a10&page=1
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-04-18 at 00:18.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-18),CLiNT (2016-04-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FN - Thanks for the partpicker.com link. It looks like an excellent source of information while designing a build.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just call Crucial's support number and they will always tell me just what I need.

I check it out on their website's ram finder and make sure it will run on the mb I want.

Then I order it. It has always worked but if it doesn't they have a compatibility guarantee. If it doesn't work on your system you can return it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BorisBadinoff For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The latest approved memory list on the ASUS support site for your motherboard is dated 2016/04/12. It lists the following Corsair memory as approved, and Newegg has it in stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-857-_-Product

There are several others that may be at Newegg (or Amazon). I wasn't sure if you had checked the latest ASUS approved list.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrewerx For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-25)