New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting default internet email to Gmail in Windows 8.1

In Control Panel, Windows 8.1 does not give Gmail as an option for default mail to program? How do I set default internet email to Gmail? I have FireFox set to use Gmail, but it will not work until I change Windows 8.1 default. Do I have to pick Gmail as an app from the Windows app store?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I gave up and set internet email to Windows Live Mail so I could get something that will work. I will be going to Windows 10 just before the deadline, so maybe it will give me more choices.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't think W10 is any better at setting your browser as the default email program.

cheers, Paul

p.s. Make an image backup of your PC and upgrade now. If you wait until the last minute you will join the very large queue of people doing a last minute upgrade.

Thanks
    And, maybe the large group of people saying, "dang it, Windows 10 just ate all my data files!".

There is a fairly new email handler that mimics the old and very popular "Outlook Express" and it's free.
    It's called "Classic O.E." and it's FREE and all it needs to set up a Gmail account is your email name and password.
    It will set up all the ports, etc., by itself. You just need to have Gmail set up to use a POP3 email program.

Windows Mail is ten times better than Windows Live Mail, but even after you get it re-activated and working, a MS update can disable it again. I use Windows Mail myself, so I know of which I speak.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!