iNET Interactive
    Thanks

A follow-up on online-storage services

Field Notes

A follow-up on online-storage services

By Tracey Capen

July's security updates get the best of a Windows expert.

Also, a review of ADrive.com, a reader-recommended cloud-storage service.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-followup-on-online-storage-services/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pluses and minuses

Indeed this is a great alternative at $25/ year if you don't want to use (and pay for larger storage) Dropbox.
    It can sync, which is great .. only (expected) drawbacks, cannot give a link for others to download or access folders (you need the business account), only you can access. Also it is a bit slow to upload, although it does appear instantaneous if using virtual attached drive rather than FTP or other alternative.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-04-19 at 12:44.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post
    Google Drive is $24 per year for 100MB; Box.com, on the other hand, is $120 per year for the same storage.
    GigaBytes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

drbb01 (2016-04-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems ADrive has changed. A friend of mine uses it and got the space free. That may be why someone recommended it.

I share your reticence with ODrive. If it doesn't have native sign-in, I'm not going to touch it. Sites like Facebook encourage to use their login all over but thats not for your convenience - it's for theirs. What better way to track you?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The field of Online/Offsite/Cloud storage is quite confusing and this article points out what I find to be the most confusing aspect of it - access to the data. Part of the confusion with ADrive for Tracey is ODrive, which appears to be a separate product that acts as an intermediary for accessing cloud storage. He says you don't need to use ODrive, however, he fails to mention in the article about how you might access your ADrive storage without it.

I used DropBox for quite some time as a way to access certain data from all of my devices (computers, phone, tablet). It only had 2GB with the free account but that was more than adequate for my needs. I could still use that account, but Microsoft has more or less forced me into using OneDrive (long story) and seduced my with 30GB of free storage (even longer story).

I also have "free" accounts with varying amounts of storage from Google, Amazon, Asus, and Apple - none of which I actually use to any degree. Each of them has tried to force me or trick me (a recurring theme) into using them, and each has succeeded in doing so to some degree. They have done this by defaulting certain things to their own storage and making it difficult (or impossible) for me to use any other cloud storage for the same purpose.

What I find in all of these things is a common problem - data access. Most commonly, these services work by syncing local data to cloud storage. IOW, if I have 20GB of data in OneDrive cloud storage then I will also have the same 20GB of data on each computer I have that uses that OneDrive account - not a problem for a desktop but might be for a Windows tablet. There are ways to put data into cloud storage and not have it download to attached computers, but it's not straight forward and access is awkward at best.

Traceys short description of ODrive seems similar to Microsoft's old SkyDrive, in that data in cloud storage was represented locally as placeholders. To me, cloud storage should be something like a NAS - the data resides separate from my computers but can be accessed by them and moved locally to work on. Large files, like videos, could be streamed to local devices. I have not spent enough time looking at all options but this would seem to be something that few if any services offer.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention DriveHQ. I have a small account with them that I use for business. I use FTP with this account and have automatic jobs that transfer data between my computer and client servers at night. There are probably other ways to do this but FTP requires no installed software and I can set up separate folders for separate clients to use.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update taking forever - Win7Pro April - possible future solution?

I and others in our organization have seen this extraordinary delay on multiple machines this past week - longer than 8 hours on multiple machines. Patience worked, but wow it was hard. I'm sorry I just read this work around regarding doing KB 3145739 first :-) Thank you for the tip Susan Bradley. (Easily 50% of the reason I subscribe to WindowsSecrets)

I wanted to suggest another possible solution for this problem - one that might work all the time - this is not based on extensive testing, only an observation while testing Powershell's capabilities at managing the Windows Update process on one machine. I used a powershell script library Windows Update Powershell Modules recommended at "The Scripting Guy" blog Use a PowerShell Module to Run Windows Update. I can only say that in my first test the process was remarkably fast. Note that control of KB installation order may not be as easy with this method. For Windows 7 you will probably need to install the Windows Management Framework 4.0 which updates Powershell to version 4.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-04-20 at 12:08.

Thanks
    I am an ADrive user - paid the $25 yearly fee. I thought 100GB was enough for my purposes which is to share image files with others. However, in the last few days, when I try to access ADrive, I am getting a security error on Chrome AND Firefox. Both say that the site is unsafe and I haven't a clue why. Today, I wrote customer technical support to find out what is happening. I thought you would like to know this is happening so your readers aren't scratching their heads. Like I said above, it is a recent development. Even logging into my account, I had to click on the "details" link in the Chrome warning and log in anyway. If and when I hear from ADrive, I will provide a further update.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have no issues at this site: https://www.adrive.com/login

Maybe you have not updated the root certificates on your PC - this should be automatic.
    See this page for details on checking the log for update information. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/....aspx#BKMK_How

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody Leonhard also wrote about this. Interestingly, he reported that the one fix Susan suggested was not always sufficient. He reported that two fixes were needed to speed up Windows Update on Windows 7. What a mess.
    Woody's two fixes worked for me on a computer missing over 100 patches. For more:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ully-slow.html

and

http://www.infoworld.com/article/305...r-updates.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have both of those patches installed and have the same problem. Updates still take me two or three tries and several hours.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)