iNET Interactive
    Thanks

What you need to know about Windows 10 accounts

Windows 10

What you need to know about Windows 10 accounts

By Dennis O'Reilly

Few things in Windows are simple, and that includes the various types of user accounts.

As with Win7, Windows 10 creates three types of accounts by default. But it also includes other account options such as Microsoft vs. local. Here's what you need to know.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-accounts/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2016-04-20 at 19:35.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post
    To change an account, click Start/Accounts
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post
    To limit guests to a single application, see the WonderHowTo article, “How to restrict guest users to on app in Windows 10;”
    it describes Win10’s Assigned Access feature, also known as Kiosk Mode.
    But not available on Windows 10 Home.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-04-20 at 22:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not clear in the article, and hence my question: What are the disadvantages and operational effects or repercussions of using a local account as the main account?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure that this article is accurate with respect to guest accounts. I have followed all the steps to activate such an account (in Win10 Pro) and, although I see Guest listed when I click on my username at Start, it only returns me to the sign-in page, with my username selected, and no option to select Guest. I even tried other ways that I found on the net to activate the account (i.e. using Computer Management / Users and Groups) but this didn't help. I also assigned a password to the guest account in netplwiz. The guest account doesn't appear anywhere - not in Settings /Other Accounts nor in Control Panel /User Accounts/Manage Accounts.

I haven't tested this but the reference in the How-To article describing the Kiosk account also suggests that it only works for one application, and that has to be a Windows Store account. How useless is that!?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use the Win10 account, nor Cortana. Because, if you read the TOS when you use that account, Microsoft will track everything you do using Edge, IE any of its processes - it essentially gives them remote access to your pc and everything you do on it. I will NEVER do that, just never. So I used Fred's advice and have, and use, only local accounts. What Cortana can do any search engine can too. And probably better, though that may not be fair because I've never used it. When I started to sign up for it, I read the TOS and just thought, no freaking way am I going to agree to all that.