2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't make my SATA controllers work with my drives

In preparation for a new build, I moved the guts of my old computer to a different case, to free up the better case. Now, my mobo will only allow me to use 6 total drives. Before I moved it, I had 6 SATA HDs (one is a SSD), 1 SATA BluRay R/W and one SATA DVD ROM attached. Everything (8 SATA devices) worked fine for 3 years, with various versions of Windows. I did not move the two optical drives, since there is a DVD R/W in the destination case.

The problem:
    Now I can only use 6 total drives. Naturally, I would like to use the 6 HDs and the 1 optical. If I connect them all, the mobo drops the SSD and will not boot. I can disconnect the optical and boot fine. I can disconnect a different drive and also boot. So, the question is how to make the mobo use the 7 drives?

mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
    Win 10
    Haswell i7
    16GB RAM

The SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro

Intel Z87 -- 6 ports supported -- connected to the 6 HDs
    Marvell 88SE9230 -- 4 ports supported -- connected to the optical drive.

Any ideas? I have struggled with the BIOS/UEFI for several hours and have run out of ideas.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you also move the power supply?
    Or, do the two power supplies have the same ratings?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RockE - Thanks for the reply.

I didn't move the power supply. Both are rated above 600 watts, which is high for a system that does not use a GPU. Both power supplies are PC Power and Cooling models.

While trying to get all drives going, I later found that disconnecting any one HD was not enough to make it boot. Sometimes, one was enough and sometimes it was not. I am inclined to believe that the problem lies with the way the controllers are connected. I only tried moving a HD to the Marvell controller once. It didn't solve the problem, but I may have picked the wrong one.

The six drives: 3TB Seagate; 2TB Samsung; 3TB WD; 750GB WD; 1.5TB Hitachi; and the Windows drive - Samsung 840 SSD (around 250GB).

Would it matter, if I moved the older WD drive to the Marvell controller?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My money is on the power supply.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I would try various attempts, but I don't particularly care for your choice of the Z87 chipset motherboard.
    I think the X99 would have been a better choice with it's abundance of SATA lanes, which are specifically suited for
    running many high capacity drives...like a server.

It works flawlessly for my 9 drives, including 1 DVD/CD ROM and an M.2 main OS drive.
    No more reliance on PCIe drives and controllers, which I always thought were buggy at best.

Sorry, not much help.

Of course a beefy PSU is needed, I use a 1000W 100% modular.
    But I don't think your PSU is the issue.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-04-21 at 13:10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT -- There is not much I can do about the Z87 at this point, since that Gigabyte board will soon be my "old" computer board. I had absolutely no problems with it for the 3 years before I recently swapped cases. It was runnint 6 HDs and 2 opticals. My new board will have a Z170 chipset, which I presume will work fine. I want to put Win10 on a Samsung M.2.

I discovered that two of my drive letters got swapped, which was easy to fix, but I had trouble with messed up sharing and some passwords, so I did an image restore from March. Before and after restoring the image, I was experiencing very long boot times. I have no idea if that relates to the disk problems or not.

I seriously doubt that the power supply could be a problem. I think it is way larger than necessary. There is also no indication that it is defective. I suppose one way to proceed is to ignore the optical drive while I am building the new computer, then, after getting the drives into the new machine, I could do a bare metal re-install of Win 10 on the Gigabyte machine.

Curiously, my older machine (Sandy Bridge i7, Win10) has run perfectly, as I have swapped drives, case, and PSU. It still boots quickly and runs well.

Thanks
    If everything is the same except for the power supply, but the power supplies are equivalent, then it could be that you have the various devices plugged into different SATA ports now than before. If you remember where stuff was plugged into before, I would try to plug things into where they were plugged in before. I would even connect the two optical drives from the other case and not connect the one DVD drive from this case, so that you can get things connected exactly as they were.

Not sure if this is what is causing the issue, but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-04-22 at 14:04.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what jim said: PSU is the only new part, all SATA connections double checked, and also be broken SATA cables (they are supposedly sensitive though I have never had one fail on me after moving it around). I would disconnect all of them except for the boot drive. Then between boots add one drive back at a time and make sure it is set to the drive letter you want and on the controller you want. Put ODDs (optical drives) to the back of the bus (ie SATA 4, 5, 8, 9) and put them on last.

Intel SATA for drives 0-5; Marvell SATA for drives 6-9. At least figure out if the issue is on one controller or the other. The Marvell controller likely does not have a driver for Win10. May want to stick the ODDs on it, unless you are JBOD RAIDing with it and that could be an issue with Win10 and the embedded function on the 9230 chip.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4483#ov

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-04-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies (mr & FN). The optical drive (DVD R/W) in the new case is not one used in the old case. The old case had a DVD ROM and a BluRay R/W. The drive in the new case was working fine with the mobo I removed (ASROCK), just before the transfer. I have a second optical (DVD R/W) that is less than a week old, that I installed on the ASROCK board. It worked. I swapped it with the one on the Gigabyte board and it did not work. I know the hardware is not broken.

The Gigabyte board was running Windows 10 before and after the case change. I had no problems with the two controllers before the move. That tells me that both controllers work with Win 10.

The power supply I am using for the Gigabyte board was previously running the ASROCK without problems. Both power supplies are top of the line PC Power and Cooling PSUs, rated over 600 watts each.

Yesterday I moved all of the non-6 GB/s HDs to the Marvell controller (there are 2) and connected the optical to the Marvell. It behaved the same, not finding the system drive. I have not tried attaching the optical drive to the Intel controller, so I should give it a try. Because of the obvious time and work, I have not yet tried adding one drive at a time to see if there is a problem that shows up that way. My expectation is that it will work perfectly, until the 6th HD is added. With 2 controllers, 7 total drives, and 10 ports, the number of combinations is obviously very high. :-(

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another step I took this morning... I went to the Gigabyte customer support page and asked them the question. If you have ever used this option, you know that it is tedious to fill out their question form, since you need the detailed information about your BIOS, graphics, and memory. I understand that these data are reasonable, they just require a lot of searching with system information software, or rebooting to the BIOS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED -- AT LAST!

I suspected that whatever was causing the optical drive to not work was related to the controllers. This morning, I decided to give it one more try, so I moved the SATA connection to the optical drive from the Marvell controller to the Intel controller. It worked! I previously connected the optical drive to the Marvell controller because I assumed it was the slower one and that the optical drive would not be fast. It didn't occur to me that there might be a glitch in the Marvell that would render it incompatible with the optical drive.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.