3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

lost network printer

In upgrading my main pc from Win 7 to Win 10 I found some programs (e.g., the browsers) no longer worked. After many attempts, it appeared that the disk drive was faulty. The drive was replaced, and I am laboriously rebuilding my system

With Win 7 I was using an old-but-excellent network printer, an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn. As I recall, I had to install it using an unrecognized local network address (when I was on Win 7 - it carried over to Win 10 with the upgrade). However, it is not discovered by Win 10, and I cannot install it on this pc (and another, where I had to replace my laptop due to physical damage). Until yesterday, I could still use it from the third upgraded pc; last night it no longer found the printer, either.

How can I regain access to this printer? It is my workhorse.

Thanks.

globlist

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...ts.oid=1140731
    Install the drivers for your OS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Go to http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...ts.oid=1140731
    Install the drivers for your OS
    I tried, unsuccessfully.

The site you referenced says it has to "see" the printer before it will install.

Trying to reinstall from my original CD says it won't install because my software/firmware is up to date.

As I recall, I could "see" hardware on my network previously, but I had to enter the alphanumeric designation of the printer before - a strange combination of letters & numbers. However, I don't see that anywhere now.

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    I tried, unsuccessfully.

The site you referenced says it has to "see" the printer before it will install.

Trying to reinstall from my original CD says it won't install because my software/firmware is up to date.

As I recall, I could "see" hardware on my network previously, but I had to enter the alphanumeric designation of the printer before - a strange combination of letters & numbers. However, I don't see that anywhere now.

Other ideas?

Thanks.
    I have an HP Laserjet and an HP Officejet Pro attached to my Router via Ethernet cable. During install on different computers [yesterday on a rebuild of Win7], they got identified by the IP address, 192.168.1.136 and 192.168.1.114 during the HP Software setup and choosing Wired Network. Those addresses can be changed in the printer's control panel. I have Win7, Win10, Win10 Insider Preview, Mac OS X and Linux Mint able to print to either. I'm not terribly fond of Wi-Fi/Wireless, too hit-or-miss.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before reinstalling a printer, you would need to uninstall it first as well as removing the device from Win 10's equivalent of Devices and Printers.

I've never had any wireless problems when using my Epson printer in Win 7 and it's one less cable to trip over.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I find the ip address of a printer that the printer install app doesn't see? And I didn't see a place for an ip address during my attempt to install a printer - where do I access that?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    How do I find the ip address of a printer that the printer install app doesn't see? And I didn't see a place for an ip address during my attempt to install a printer - where do I access that?
    You should be able to get that from your router interface (usually web-based).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    DHCP in the router assigns it an IP address when you switch the printer on and in some routers, they will have a DHCP table which will show what devices are connected, although that may only identify the device by its name and Mac code and not display the IP address.

Thanks
    To see the devices attached to your Network, open File Manager and click on Network. You may have to wait awhile for it to enumerate the attached Network Devices. You should see all attached devices on the network including your Gateway router.

See if Can't Print after upgrading to Windows 10 on this page helps:
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ent/c04714314/

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recalled how to address the router and confirmed that the laserjet is on the network - it is the one with the crazy designation I mentioned in an earlier message. Months ago I assigned it a fixed web address. However, my PCs still do not detect it when I try to install a new printer.
    Is there a way to indicate the local Ethernet address during the installation process? I don't see a way at this time.

Thanks again.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you know the IP address you can add it.
    http://www.technipages.com/windows-i...via-ip-address

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

globalist (2016-04-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. The printer is now available!

EXCEPT that the driver selected doesn't support double-sided printing. I tried changing the device properties to show double-sided, but it did not change the performance. How can I upgrade the driver?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might not like this idea but it has worked well for me quite a few times
    --- On one printer that wouldn’t copy & scan when using the install disc, it did work ok after the following recommendations.
    --- EDIT: And that was on a printer that worked fine on Win7 but ran into the mentioned problems after upgrading to Win10
    Uninstall your printer
    If you have confidence you can work wirelessly that’s ok but I would connect hard-wired in your case
    --- You can go back to wireless once the printer is up and running ok.
    Since the link in post 2 didn’t work for you, go to
    Detect my product http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html
    Click on Identify Now
    I don’t recall the exact steps but follow the procedures and prompts

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That did not seem to help. [BTW: This printer does not have a wireless capability. But it has had a double-sided capability since I first purchased it - until now.]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I GOT IT. I had gone to printer properties and clicked the option for duplex copying, but forgot to click "apply". It now works properly.
    THANKS EVERYONE FOR REACHING OUT WITH SUPPORT!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to globalist For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-23)