Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot safely remove USB 3.0 drives from Win10 Pro

All,

I use a Seagate 4TB as an archive but have never been able to safely remove it since upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (and now after Win10 Reset). Nor can I remove 6 out of 7 other USB 3.0 drives from my system, a Dell XPS 8700.

There is no Quick Removal option selected on any of the drives. Windows 10 is not indexing the contents of the drives in addition to the file properties, Search Everything is off and the Recycle Bin is empty when this occurs. It really would be handy to be able to quickly remove the drive, which I mostly leave disconnected as insurance against ransomware. But the only way I know to be sure no backup data is lost during disconnection is to shut down the PC before disconnecting the drives - which is a real pain! If I don't do that, when I connect the removed drive to a Win7 Pro machine, I get the Scan and Fix dialog every time so it appears there is a delayed write problem with the drives unless I shut down the Win10 PC before I remove them..

This has been a problem not only with that Seagate but also with WD Passport Ultras, even after installing the latest WD Drive Utilities.

Both SeaTools for Windows and the WD Utilities find nothing wrong with any of the drives.

(Strangely, the only USB 3.0 drive I have that does work properly with Safely Remove is another Seagate drive, a 2 TB Backup+ unit. Flash drives are no problem, just most external hard drives.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Will
    Last edited by WilliamJames; 2016-05-06 at 14:01. Reason: In line with new title, I expanded the text.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you don't get the small icon with a green tick in the system tray as you do in Win 7 that you can click on, see if this article helps.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/safely...re-not-working

Thanks
    Rather than shutting down, you can sign out, remove the drive, and then sign in again. To sign out, click on the Start icon, click on your account at the top of the Start Menu and then click on Sign Out.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WilliamJames (2016-05-06)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    WilliamJames,
    Open My Computer (or is it Computer? I have no Win7 system handy...) find the drive entry for your external drive, right click on it and select Eject.

That has done it every tme for me when one of these stubborn external drives was thought to be accessed by some program but nothing was running at all.

As usual in Windoze, YMMV.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

medab1 (2016-04-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Rather than shutting down, you can sign out, remove the drive, and then sign in again. To sign out, click on the Start icon, click on your account at the top of the Start Menu and then click on Sign Out.

Jerry
    Thanks, Jerry! Signing out or logging off in Classic Shell parlance will definitely save time. I appreciate that suggestion. Will

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    WilliamJames,
    Open My Computer (or is it Computer? I have no Win7 system handy...) find the drive entry for your external drive, right click on it and select Eject.
    Hey, Eike - Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, in This PC, there is no Eject option for these drives. So far logging off or shutting down would seem to be the only workaround. - Will

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If you don't get the small icon with a green tick in the system tray as you do in Win 7 that you can click on, see if this article helps.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/safely...re-not-working
    Thanks, Sudo. I do get the icon, it's just that the subject drives (Seagate and WD both) do not appear in the drive list under Safely Remove.

For some weird reason, my always-on Seagate Backup+ drives appears as does my C: drive - and no other drives except flash drives!

Will

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On my other laptop where I'm able to plug both of my Seagate external drives in, while I sometimes have to go looking for the icon, it does list both of them to choose which to eject.

With your WD plugged in, does it have a drive letter in diskmgmt.msc ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-06 at 11:20.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, all the drives I mentioned show up in both This PC and Disk Management.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder if it's worth going into Device Manager/Disk Drives right clicking on it and uninstalling it.

You could then either Action/Scan for hardware changes or unplug it then re-plug after a reboot to reinstall the drivers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lounger
    Thanks
    If it were just one drive, then I'd give that a try. Because every single external USB 3.0 hard drive but one has this issue, I'm not inclined to do it. Also, I've installed the latest drivers for all seven drives I've tried on this PC (and only one ever appears in the Safely Remove device list) so reinstalling drivers should not be needed.

In my original post I mentioned I had not tried these drives with Win10 Home. That said, I do have Toshiba Canvio 500 GB drives at home where the Win10 Home version is in use, and they work brilliantly with Safely Remove.

Thanks again, Sudo, for your careful attention to this thread!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Hey, Jerry - I tried yanking the drive after signing out, but when I attached it to a Win7 machine in the office I got the same old message that the drive needed to be scanned and fixed (see attachment). Only shutting down before removing the drive avoids that problem, and we have an office with a mix of Win10 Pro and Win7 Pro, so I guess I'm back to square one. But thanks, this was worth a try. - Will
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So is it only the WD disks that this affects ?

I think there were problems with WD and Win 10 TP but would have thought that resolved by now - but may be not as it may not have been a priority for MS.

Does the WD work okay on your home machine or aren't you allowed to take that home ?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lounger
    Thanks
    In response to your question whether this issue occurs only with WD disk drives, actually I've tried 7 USB 3.0 disks. Five were WD Passport Ultras, the other two were Seagates.

The main 4TB Seagate Expansion Disk that I use has this problem as well - can't see it in Safely Remove or Eject it from This PC, and I lose data if I remove it without first shutting down the PC. However, inexplicably, the other Seagate (a 2TB Backup+) works normally with Safely Remove. It is the only external drive in the past 9 months to do so.

I haven't tried taking any of the work drives home and honestly I'd rather keep this limited to Win10 Pro for now. (I may try your suggestion later on.) But I will say that on my Win10 Home PC and laptop two 500 GB Toshiba Canvios work perfectly with Safely Remove.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are the other ones that don't do it all in excess of 2TB ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast