3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2016 (Ofice 365) crashing on exit

Running Win7 64 bit, and I have upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 365, which has given me the 2016 versions of the Office programs. I have uninstalled Office 2003 in case of conflicts. All the 2016 applications (Outlook, Excel etc.) are working OK, but I have a problem with Word. It will open Ok and seems to function normally, but crashes when I shut it down. The error in Event Viewer looks like this:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.6769.2017, time stamp: 0x570134d0
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23392, time stamp: 0x56eb302d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002e0e6
    Faulting process id: 0x8f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d19c7be2d37089
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 25add9e1-086f-11e6-9398-74d4351c67a4

I believe that 0xc0000005 is some kind of access violation, but I can't find anything more on it. Does anyone know what's happening here?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried running Word with add-ins disabled?
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is that safe mode, where you start it with the /safe switch? I have tried that, and I don't see any add-ins, but it makes no difference, it still crashed on exit. When I tried it just now, after the crash it said "Word is restarting" and restarted itself. When I exited from that, it crashed again, and again said "Word is restarting". When I exited again, it crashed but did not restart. I seem to have all the functionality within Word, I can view, edit, create and save documents etc., but the crash on exit (and sometimes a restart) is annoying to say the least. I am exiting by clicking the X in the top right corner - is there another way to exit?

When I installed Office 365, it gave me the 32 bit version, but the error is occurring in the 64 bit version (I assume?) of ntdll.dll. Could that have anything to do with it?

I have tried tracing it with Process Monitor. I don't pretend to understand all those trace entries, but I didn't see anything obvious like ERROR or ACCESS VIOLATION. Is there any other utility, or maybe a log file, that would give me a hint?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could try repairing the Office installation or uninstall/reinstall Office.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved (I think/hope). I tried a quick repair, which didn't help, and then an online repair, which effectively downloaded and installed everything again, and that didn't help either. Word was still crashing on exit. Then I thought about compatibility, so went to Winword.exe, properties, compatibility, saw that the compatibility setting was empty, and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7, which is the OS I am running anyway. That fixed it, no longer crashing on exit. I can't explain that, but am happy that it's solved.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!! Glad you got it resolved. Nice detective work.
    Joe