New Lounger
    Thanks

Intel Advanced-N 2654 wireless

Recently a series of changes (new wireless router, endless Win 10 updates) have made my wireless network card on my laptop suddenly loose connection to the internet. It still seems connected to my home network - it just drops off the internet. When I disconnect and reconnect it works fine for a while till it suddenly dropps off again. And the dropping off is weird - it kept on playing a streaming video, but could not open any other sites in new tabs last night. The drivers al;l claim to be the most recent ones and working well.
    So so do I have a hardware or a software problem? My network itself seems to be fine - I can connect through my nitwork with my i-phone, even while my laptop seems hung up. For what it's worth, I have a really old (but loaded) Precision M4700.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One thing you can check is if the router's channel setting is set to auto or to a specific channel.

This can disrupt a signal when it changes but I would have expected that to be noticeable on the stream.

Win 10 updates can download and install its own drivers which may be out of kilter with the adapter, but you would either have a connection or you wouldn't - that sort of disconnection does sound weird though.

Try rolling back the driver should it have been updated then stop Win 10 from installing driver updates.

Event Viewer may have an error recorded with a time stamp for when you experience the disconnects.

Not sure if these commands would have any effect but you could try them from a Command Prompt (Admin) -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

then reboot.

Which browser are you using ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-04-22 at 17:41.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd put money on a software issue. Doesn't sound like hardware to me.

If it were hardware, most likely you would lose all connectivity at once and not just to the internet. Also you say that it works fine for a while. And even the streaming video that continues playing while new connections won't open; this would be hard to explain as a hardware issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I use Chrome as my preffered borwser since my password manager works in it. And I'm using an EEOS wireless router.

So here's what happened when I tried this powershell or DOS commands. Notice the last command - whatever it was - didn't seem to work.

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

PS C:\Windows\system32>
    PS C:\Windows\system32> netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    Resetting Global, OK!
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
    Resetting Neighbor, OK!
    Resetting Path, OK!
    Resetting Subinterface, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the cmd this way to see if you get the same error -

netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ipv6 reset resetlog.txt

But it may return there is nothing to reset.

Thanks
    My guess as to why it kept playing the streaming video, even though you had lost your connection to the internet: It had downloaded a bunch of the movie (maybe all of the movie) already to your laptop -- that's what it was playing. It wasn't getting new content from the internet.

There is always a certain amount of video content that downloads before you see it on the screen. This is called "buffering". It allows you to keep watching for a while, even though you may have lost your internet connection. if the connection dropped only for a minute or two, you wouldn't have missed seeing any of the video.