Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Fan runs all the time on Asus laptop

I'm the family tech support guy. My 14-year-old grandson uses an entry-level Asus laptop that I've upgraded from Win7 to Win10. This week, I noticed the cooling fan runs continuously, and it's loud enough that my 67-year-old ears can hear it clearly. It doesn't buzz or screech—it sounds "normal," you know, but it just runs ... and runs. I read on an Asus support forum that perhaps a BIOS upgrade would help. I chatted online with an Asus techie who said yes, I needed to upgrade the BIOS to work properly with the new OS.

I upgraded the BIOS, but the fan still runs. The computer runs well otherwise, so maybe I'm fretting over nothing. If there's reason for concern, where do I look—hardware? Software?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Very often such a problem arises from the laptop having been used while sitting on bedclothes, etc., so the laptop's cooling system sucks up fluff/dust and other into the CPU cooling area.

You could try using compressed air to blow out any such muck from the cooling channels.

Otherwise you could try using a laptop cooler, e.g.. Coolermaster Notepal U3 Plus: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...tepal-u3-plus/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This has been a common complaint on laptops after upgrading to Win 10 and in some cases has been found that Cortana was to blame.

Have a look in Task Manager to see which process is using the most resources.

If it wasn't running hot when it was using Win 7 then it's more likely to be because of Win 10's apps running in the background and if you haven't disabled the P2P that MS are using to assist with the updates, then check the Networking usage as well.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys!

To my knowledge, the user has never operated the machine on anything other than his desk. I've inspected it visually—peered into the vents with a flashlight—and I see no sign of dust build-up. I need to get a can of compressed air today.

As for running hot: The case does not feel unusually warm, so I don't think any components are overheating. I'll check the Task Manager later today. I pulled it up yesterday and didn't see that anything was working extra hard. I'll look closely at Cortana. My grandson never uses it, as far as I know. I can't say I know much about it. (I'm a Mac guy myself.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While having an air duster can is handy, to check the temps you can download the free version of HWMonitor.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If MS has downloaded inappropriate or additional drivers, that could also upset the balance - display drivers have been favourite for that, so checking Device Manager and going to the computer support site for Win 10 drivers could correct that.

A Google for the fan always running after upgrading to Win 10 produces a number of articles with what others have found to be the cause and may offer other suggestions for you to check.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laptop+fan+alwa...ding+to+win+10

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great tip! Thanks!

... checking Device Manager and going to the computer support site for Win 10 drivers could correct that.
    I failed to mention that I've been to Device Manager, but I didn't find any alerts. What signs do I look for?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I saw in one of those articles that one machine had two graphics drivers after MS had downloaded another, but expanding the sections and right clicking on the drivers and selecting Properties then Driver will show you the date of the driver.

You would only see an alert if the driver wasn't working and not for if it was only partially doing the job.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just now ran HWMONITOR. Interesting!
    The machine's temperature: 51° C (123° F); min: 123; max: 132. Looks good.
    CPU fan speed: 2900. Min: 2800; max: 3000.

Okay ... the fan speed is squarely between min and max. What does that tell us?
    Last edited by Caesar3; 2016-04-23 at 15:27. Reason: Added information.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Device Manager —> Processors shows two identical devices: AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics.

The Properties sheets for these devices are identical in every detail, including the Driver Date: 4/21/2009. There's one very small difference. In the Events tab —> Events, we read that both devices migrated at the exact same date and time. The first paragraph in the Information block says "Device ... [blah-blah-blah] \_1 was migrated." The same paragraph for the second device says " ... \_2 was migrated."

Do you detect any clues in that information?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Those temps look good as long as they stay around the 50 to 60 mark.

When it goes over 60 then it is starting to run hot.

The min and max may not be the min or max the fan can run, just as the min and max temps just show the current min and the hottest it has recently got to.

This laptop doesn't have a sensor for the fan for me to compare with.

What you are seeing for the APU and graphics is in the Processor section of Device Manager for me and as this Toshiba also has a dual core with integral graphics, I also have two displayed.

Expand Display adapters and see what it has in there.

Under the Driver tab will also show which OS they are for.

While booting up into Safe Mode will isolate the GPU so that it just uses the on board VGA, it will also isolate other items which wouldn't necessarily eliminate the GPU as the cause, so see if the fan takes a break or eases up when you perform a clean boot - this will isolate all 3rd party start up items and non-MS services.

Check to see if your antivirus program reinstates itself when you hit the Apply button as it may be best to leave that enabled should it not.

It is also essential that you check the box to Hide all Microsoft services before you hit Disable all - otherwise you will have greater problems.

https://windowsinstructed.com/clean-...ndows-windows/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-04-23 at 17:12.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give that a go and see what happens. Thanks!