Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Admin account stopping wind back to WIN 7.

I'm trying to wind back to WIN 7 from WIN 10 on a Sony Vaio and its telling me "You created one account (Administrator).The account needs to be completely removed. Including their profile. Well I did create a administrator account but I have turned it off again with the Command Prompt and rebooted the laptop and don't what else to do. I tried the netplwiz command and there seems to be only the one user account there. Any help would be appreciated. In future I will stay away from the Hidden Admin Account.
    Thanks Pete.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    I'm trying to wind back to WIN 7 from WIN 10 on a Sony Vaio and its telling me "You created one account (Administrator).The account needs to be completely removed. Including their profile. Well I did create a administrator account but I have turned it off again with the Command Prompt and rebooted the laptop and don't what else to do. I tried the netplwiz command and there seems to be only the one user account there. Any help would be appreciated. In future I will stay away from the Hidden Admin Account.
    Thanks Pete.
    Only a couple of thoughts, the actual Administrator is hidden by default, should always be one User with administrative rights and if it has been more than 30 days since the free Upgrade to Win10 the ability to roll back to Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 is disabled. Since it's an OEM computer you may still have the [usually hidden] factory restore, different OEMs do it differently as to the process used. Most included a program used to create the discs for factory restore. Because the HDD crashed on an HP I had to order the discs for Win7 from HP, cost $35US including 2-day shipping. It's quite a nice computer now and I've disabled the GWX feature for the free Upgrade, need it to stay as-is.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-05-03)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One more thought, if you are still within the 30 days, does it allow you to do it in Safe Mode ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-04-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    One more thought, if you are still within the 30 days, does it allow you to do it in Safe Mode ?
    Yes it is well within the 30 days and it would not work in same mode. Where I am at now is I restored a Win 7 Professional back up to the Laptop and now it wont connect to my WiFi connection. I tried disconnecting windows fire wall and running the trouble shooter. Thanks for the help, I have to leave this alone for the day but will keep trying to solve the problem in the evenings after work.
    I can go back to my Sony Win 10 with a backup to continue my Win 7 roll back but my Macriun Free Rescue Media wont work so hoping I can fix the WiFi problem. Or you could say I'm trying to dig the hole deeper. I'm not very good at explaining my self so hope this all makes sense.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2016-04-23 at 18:05.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are there any yellow alerts or red crosses in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices ?

Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you get connectivity to see if it could be any 3rd party programs is an usual first step.

These cmds run from an elevated cmd prompt may help -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00 (to close the cmd window and effect an immediate reboot)

If you still can't connect then go Start - type services.msc aand press enter to check these services are showing as Started and Auto or Manual.

COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Wired Autoconfig is set to manual.
    WLAN AutoConfig
    Workstation

If a service is not running, click on it to highlight then click on Start (top left).

If it fails to start then right click to open its Properties and check the Dependencies and that each of them are running.

Any Dependencies not found in Services can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non Plug and Play Drivers, but when you check for any alerts, you would see a yellow alert next to Non Plug and Play Drivers if any of the Dependencies had problems, but you may have to reinstall the wireless driver.

Are you able to connect wired ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-04-24)

Thanks

Still no Net work connection.

Are there any yellow alerts or red crosses in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices ?

Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you get connectivity to see if it could be any 3rd party programs is an usual first step.

These cmds run from an elevated cmd prompt may help -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00 (to close the cmd window and effect an immediate reboot)

If you still can't connect then go Start - type services.msc aand press enter to check these services are showing as Started and Auto or Manual.

COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Wired Autoconfig is set to manual.
    WLAN AutoConfig
    Workstation

If a service is not running, click on it to highlight then click on Start (top left).

If it fails to start then right click to open its Properties and check the Dependencies and that each of them are running.

Any Dependencies not found in Services can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non Plug and Play Drivers, but when you check for any alerts, you would see a yellow alert next to Non Plug and Play Drivers if any of the Dependencies had problems, but you may have to reinstall the wireless driver.

Are you able to connect wired ?
    No, I can't connect wired.
    When I ran the Command Prompt Commands I restarted after running all of them not after each one (is that right) Two of them said "Unsuccessful due to Blue Tooth Media "
    There are yellow alerts next to Network Controller,
    PCI Device,
    PCI Simple Communications Control,
    Unknown Device.
    Is it possible to download drivers from another computer and transfer them to the problem computer.
    Should I be starting another thread as I have gone from my op to this. If I am able to go back to my original OS with the backup of it would be great but the USB stick with the Macrium Rescue wont show up when I plug it in but any other USB I plug in will show up.
    Scannow says nothing wrong, the laptop is ok but with no WiFi it is useless.
    Thanks Pete.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, you can download and transfer drivers that way and is the accepted way when a machine is unable to connect.

Go into services.msc - right click on Blue Tooth Support - select Properties then use the dropdown to select Disable - or are you using Bluetooth devices such as a keyboard and/mouse ?

You could just click on it then on Stop in the upper left pane as a trial as its status is usually Manual, but if you are using essential devices that use Bluetooth then that service will auto start.

Bluetooth is designed to skip out of the way when it comes near a DHCP assigned address but in this case it could be an IP address conflict which is preventing connectivity.

Reboot to see if connectivity returns naturally.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-04-24)

Thanks
    Yes, you can download and transfer drivers that way and is the accepted way when a machine is unable to connect.

Go into services.msc - right click on Blue Tooth Support - select Properties then use the dropdown to select Disable - or are you using Bluetooth devices such as a keyboard and/mouse ?

You could just click on it then on Stop in the upper left pane as a trial as its status is usually Manual, but if you are using essential devices that use Bluetooth then that service will auto start.

Bluetooth is designed to skip out of the way when it comes near a DHCP assigned address but in this case it could be an IP address conflict which is preventing connectivity.

Reboot to see if connectivity returns naturally.
    No I am not using any blue tooth device but for some reason Bluetooth starts automatically on start up. What a relief that I can download and transfer drivers although I will have to spend a bit of time on working it out. I will follow your instructions above about Bluetooth when I get home. Maybe run those Command Prompt commands again with Bluetooth turned off. Heres me working on ANZAC day.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you download the drivers, select Save - usually to your Downloads folder then drag and drop them into something like a Flash stick then you can drag and drop them into the Downloads folder of the affected machine where you can unpack the .zip to locate the Set up Application to double click on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-04-25)

Thanks
    When you download the drivers, select Save - usually to your Downloads folder then drag and drop them into something like a Flash stick then you can drag and drop them into the Downloads folder of the affected machine where you can unpack the .zip to locate the Set up Application to double click on.
    Done, Thanks to you Sudo15. There were 12 outdated drivers, I spent US$16 on Driver Talent Pro and it did everything for me so I'm really happy about that. Really annoyed about not being able to roll back to Win 7 because of the Admin account which caused this head ache. This version of Win 7 is from a Toshiba machine and I didnt know that installing it onto a Sony would change all the F8 F10 commands on boot up. The Sony backup has all the Sony Recovery. Long story but cheers big time for your help. The machine is running really good now.
    Cheers Pete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    ...I spent US$16 on Driver Talent Pro and it did everything for me so I'm really happy about that...
    Good luck with "Driver Talent Pro" but I suspect you will eventually find that program is not considered safe.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-05-03)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wouldn't have advocated using a driver updater program to update drivers, but if everything is working then it will have done its job.

What I would advise with a program like that and using a freebie version, is to let it identify which drivers you need then go to those vendor sites and download them from there.

Did you still need to disable Bluetooth to regain connectivity ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Good luck with "Driver Talent Pro" but I suspect you will eventually find that program is not considered safe.
    Okay I will give this Driver Talent a miss in future, I didn't know that it is unsafe.
    Cheers Pete.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2016-05-03 at 06:35.

Thanks
    I wouldn't have advocated using a driver updater program to update drivers, but if everything is working then it will have done its job.

What I would advise with a program like that and using a freebie version, is to let it identify which drivers you need then go to those vendor sites and download them from there.

Did you still need to disable Bluetooth to regain connectivity ?
    Yes I did have to disable Bluetooth to regain connectivity, but all is normal again.
    Cheers Pete.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you installed an OEM version from a Toshiba machine om a Sony machine that is a license violation. OEM versions are tied to the original hardware. If it is a retail version of Windows that is OK.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast