New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I boot from an SD card?

I'm pretty sure I can't, but I don't know how else to solve my problem.

Acer Iconia Tab W500 purchased Feb. 2012 w/Windows 7. Upgraded to Windows 8.1. This is a netbook/tablet with an attachable keyboard.
    Problem: I haven't used it in about two years, and I forgot my password--local, not MS password. Spent several hours trying to remember password or figure out how to re-install Win8.1. I have a flash drive with the Win8.1 image copied to it, although I don't know if the flash drive is bootable.

However, the keyboard covers up the only USB port when it's attached to the tablet. Great design, huh?

Any ideas how to get around this? TIA.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows Defender Offline on a an old SD card, and it boots OK on my ASUS PC, just got to pick it in the boot order setup in BIOS.
    However, I do run it in a USB port using a card adaptor, which won't help in your case, but give it a try.

Alex

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A1ex For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-04-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Laurie,

The answer is maybe!

I tried this on my Secure Boot Dell desktop and it would not work. I did not however try changing to Legacy Boot mode.

I took the SD card to my older Dell Laptop (Not Secure Boot able) and it booted just fine.

Thanks, I now have a use for some of my old 1gb SD cards.

Note: Make sure you format the SD card as Fat 32, Primary Partition, Active. I used Partition-Wizard Mini tool free to set it up.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-04-24)

Thanks
    To bypass the password issue, you could try using Recovery Management to restore your tablet to factory specs (i.e. a fresh install of Windows 7). Here is more information.

Once you have done that, you could then try to restore the Windows 8.1 image you have created, or just do the upgrade to Windows 8.1 again.

Thanks
    Good suggestion by Jim in post #4. It looks like Acer use different key combos so, if ALT+F10 doesn't work to kick off Recovery Management, try this: How do I reload the operating system on my ICONIA Tab W500?

Hope this helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-04-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    To bypass the password issue, you could try using Recovery Management to restore your tablet to factory specs (i.e. a fresh install of Windows 7). http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631/related/1 is more information.

Once you have done that, you could then try to restore the Windows 8.1 image you have created, or just do the upgrade to Windows 8.1 again.
    Thanks, Jim, but that's not an option. The only way I can restore Win7 is to buy an external DVD drive to connect to the tablet. That's the only reason I upgraded to Win 8.1. I thought I could restore 8.1 with a flash drive, if necessary.

I just now managed accidentally to set my Boot drive to the 32 GB SD card, but now I can't load the Win8.1 recovery image to the card because my desktop can't read it. I think I've run out of options. I've spent too much time trying to figure this out, even with the help of all you nice techies, so I'm just going to have to take it as a loss unless I can find someone willing to buy it as is. I knew I wasn't going to get much anyway for a 4-year-old computer.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-04-25 at 17:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post
    Thanks, Jim, but that's not an option. The only way I can restore Win7 is to buy an external DVD drive to connect to the tablet. That's the only reason I upgraded to Win 8.1. I thought I could restore 8.1 with a flash drive, if necessary.

I just now managed accidentally to set my Boot drive to the 32 GB SD card, but now I can't load the Win8.1 recovery image to the card because my desktop can't read it. I think I've run out of options. I've spent too much time trying to figure this out, even with the help of all you nice techies, so I'm just going to have to take it as a loss unless I can find someone willing to buy it as is. I knew I wasn't going to get much anyway for a 4-year-old computer.
    A 4-year old computer isn't bad, even though that's what the marketers would have you believe.

As far as a USB external DVD drive, you can get a Samsung (with M-drive support) for $25, including shipping, from Newegg. And a USB external DVD drive would be useful for all of your computers, not just this one.

As far as your computer not being able to read the 32 GB SD card, it could be a bad card, or maybe a bad drive. Have you tried it in another computer or another drive? If the drive is bad, you could get another USB external card reader (they don't cost much and are available in lots of stores) and try it in that one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post

You may not need to connect an external DVD drive in order to restore Windows 7, if you still have the original hard drive installed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You may not need to connect an external DVD drive in order to restore Windows 7, if you still have the original hard drive installed.
    Quite true. Win8.1 should not have altered the recovery partition containing the original OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try to burn your Win8.1 ISO file to your SD card with the free tool ISO2Disc (or Rufus). If your tablet uses UEFI, you have to choose GPT partition style.