Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 - Really slow on the downloads since I upgraded

I upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 Pro on my homebuilt PC late last year - one of the 'earlier' adopters but not the earliest. I had mixed results with Win10 - on one Dell laptop, I had to roll back to Win 7 for a while until I understood things a little better. Maybe Microsoft understood its new OS a little better, too. I don't know, but when I put 10 back on the laptop, things were a lot better. I digress.

My problem is with my old clanking desktop that I built about 8 years ago following the advice on parts from a computer mag. It's served me valiantly, but I have come to the realization that since I upped to Win 10, not all is roses.

I consume a lot of downloadables, mostly music. Pre-Windows 10, I could download a normal 100-MB album in a couple of minutes. Now, if I'm lucky, it takes 45 minutes to an hour. My system specs are below. The other possible culprit, I suppose, could be Chrome, which I have used exclusively almost since its release. I'm going to check a Chrome forum or two and I'll report back.

Any advice, tricks, or admonitions to "go away, kid" will be taken in a spirit of gratitude. I know there is an enormous load of imposition placed on each individual these days, so I simply thank you in advance.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix, AZ - once AKA DeadVAIO

Operating System - Windows 8 Professional (x64) (build 9200)

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-790XTA-UD4
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F3 05/13/2010
    Processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X3 720
    - 256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    - 512 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    - 64-bit ready
    - Multi-core (3 total)
    - Not hyper-threaded
    RAM: Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
    - Slot 'A1' has 2048 MB
    - Slot 'A2' has 2048 MB
    - Slot 'A3' has 2048 MB

Thanks
    Have you tried a browser other than Chrome?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's one of those questions that occur to you after you press the 'Post' button. Yeah, I'm giving Firefox a try with the same result.

And, oh, thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Does this happen on non-music downloads?

Wired or wireless network connection? Have you checked the network card vendor for a driver update?

Joe
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

DeadVAIO (2016-04-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh shoot, I might as well answer my other question - Chrome. I searched high and low on the Chrome user fora - and there isn't even the glimpse of an answer.

My Internet provider is Centurylink since 2012. I pay for 40 Mbps download speed. When I do a speed test at Centurylink's site, my wireless rig measures 19.56 Mbps down and 4.81 Mbps up. Blistering.....

I do not know how to correlate a 19.56 Mbps rate to downloading a 100 MB jazz album in 45 min to 1 hr. I don't think they compare, or am I mistaken?

Thanks to all who peruse my sitch-er-ay-shen.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe. I'll check for the NIC vendor and a driver update.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NIC report: apparently the drivers are up to date for both:
    - Realtek 8812 AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC [installed 11/14/15] &
    - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller [11/14/15]

However, in digging into the "Details" of each of the NIC entries, we find both of them have at the top a request for "further installation" whatever that means. I am beyond my depth at that point.

I'm prepared to do what anyone recommends. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVAIO View Post
    NIC report: apparently the drivers are up to date for both:
    - Realtek 8812 AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC [installed 11/14/15] &
    - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller [11/14/15]

However, in digging into the "Details" of each of the NIC entries, we find both of them have at the top a request for "further installation" whatever that means. I am beyond my depth at that point.
    Are you looking at the Details tab or the Events tab where you see "requires further installation"? The first Event is normally "Device install requested", and the Information for that event gives the device bus and the VEN ID for the device, followed by "requires further installation". That just means that the hardware has been identified and paired with the correct driver(s). The last (bottom of the list) Event Information should show the same VEN ID with the notation "was started", followed by the Driver Name.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

DeadVAIO (2016-04-24)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I guess it was the "Events" tab. So everything I was citing was normal. O well.

I'm just really puzzled why the download performance got so sluggish after being so quick for so long.

Thanks again for all the help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I have a new angle on my slow download problem, one that may make sense, finally. I was copying some files onto my big storage drive in anticipation of switching - soon - to a 2-in-one laptop/touchscreen machine.

The old computer had a hiccup and I decided a restart was in order. When it restarted, I saw a message flash very quickly that the Broadcom 802.11 device did not work any longer or some such thing. I clicked on it as fast as I could and I just got a slim Windows page that advised I go to the manufacturer to see if there is a newer device available.

To me, it seems like it could be a cause of the difficulty. Anyone else?

As I said, I'm going to be getting a new machine soon, so I don't know how much I should think of spending on new hardware. I suppose I'll consider it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops. I didn't think I hung onto the Win10 message. Here it is:

Your app doesn't work with Windows 10

The app you're trying to use was blocked from opening because it might damage your PC or result in loss of data. This is because some apps that worked with a previous version of Windows might not work in the same way with Windows 10.

Go to the support website for the app developer, and check if a new or updated version of this app is available for Windows 10.

Thanks
    You can try uninstalling the NIC in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall it.

Unleash Windows