Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender Offline - Virus Signature Updates

Folks,

Following the last Windows Secrets Newsletter I thought I would download and test Windows Defender Offline. I have never had a virus on any of my machines but you never know when it can happen. I got a spare Flash drive and downloaded the 64 bit version. I then adjusted the boot sequence to include the flash drive as one of the first options. I booted up the WDO from the flash drive. It said that the virus definitions were out of date and I needed to update them. That of course was problematical given that the stripped down version of Windows that comes with WDO doesn't allow internet connections (or at least I don't know how do to it if it does). And WDO won't function with an outdated virus signatures. The Microsoft page for WDO says if you can't download the new signatures you just have to download the entire package again. But I had just done that and it seems I got an outdated virus signature set. Can anyone help me get the updated virus signature file? Is there a way of updating the virus signatures outside of WDO?

Also, and maybe just as important, does anyone know how often the virus signature set becomes outdated. I suspect the answer is that they get updated daily/weekly. If true this means that if I have an infected computer I have to either download a new version from an infected computer or use another computer to download the WDO file. Again if this is the case doing anything a head of time (other than learning how it works) if rather a waste of my time.

Thanks.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would seem that WDO doesn't have a built in option to connect to the 'net to obtain its own updates - unlike the Kaspersky Rescue bootable disk.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

Not sure there's a way around that if MS don't have an up to date package you can download - perhaps you should take that up with MS.....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

Thanks. I thought that might be the answer. I might send a note to MS but I am not hopeful that this is the package I want to depend on to get me out of trouble. I appreciate your swift reply.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It would seem that WDO doesn't have a built in option to connect to the 'net to obtain its own updates - unlike the Kaspersky Rescue bootable disk.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

Not sure there's a way around that if MS don't have an up to date package you can download - perhaps you should take that up with MS.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

This article tells you how to do it. Just make sure your USB key is plugged in before you run the download.

Note: the program runs but gives absolutely NO feedback! I just tried it and ran it twice because I didn't think it worked but the second time I did notice the USB Key's light blink a couple of times (of course some keys don't have lights!). So I booted and the Update page showed that the Definitions were updated today.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Kaspersky disk is thorough - it took about 9 hours to scan my C:

If you want to scan with an online one then the ESET Free Online Scanner does a thorough job as well - just doesn't take as long.

http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Util...Online-Scanner

With this one, check the boxes for PuPs and PuMs then click on Advanced and check those boxe, but you don't normally need to bother with Archives or Proxies.

It also has a box somewhere to check to auto uninstall when done, but can't remember offhand where that is now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bob,

This article tells you how to do it. Just make sure your USB key is plugged in before you run the download.

Note: the program runs but gives absolutely NO feedback! I just tried it and ran it twice because I didn't think it worked but the second time I did notice the USB Key's light blink a couple of times (of course some keys don't have lights!). So I booted and the Update page showed that the Definitions were updated today.

HTH
    That's very helpful, RG!

I have never considered using a previously-downloaded copy of WDO. I always figured that the definitions would be out of date, and so the easiest way to make sure you have the latest definitions was simply to download the program again.

(Of course, I always downloaded it to a CD, which means that there was no way to update it.)

And I figured that it would be up-to-date as of the date that you download it. It never occurred to me that the one I download might not have been updated by Microsoft.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,

Thanks. This is great. I will try to download the updated signatures tomorrow and try it out. This will also let me use another internet connected machine to download the signatures if I run into trouble.

Now why wouldn't MS put that on the WDO webpage.

Again many thanks.

Thanks
    Bob,

I created a Shortcut to: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70632
    for the 64Bit version and placed it on my desktop so I can download easily anytime.

You can hover your mouse over the link in the article and Right Click then select Copy Link Location to get the actual link address on the Clipboard and then Paste that into a new Shortcut.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

How extremely helpful. Many thanks again.

Bob

Thanks
    Sometimes I use AVG's "Rescue CD" to scan a system. Can boot from CD or USB; downloads the latest definitions to RAM, so no need to download the latest version if is not totally up-to-date; works at least as well as WD Offline, probably better.

http://www.avg.com/au-en/download.prd-arl
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-27)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin,

Thanks. I will take a look at it as well

Bob

Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

Well I tried it but was not successful. I downloaded the 64 bit file (mpas-fex64.exe) and ran it. I had the WDO USB in the drive and it seemed to work. Or at least the mpas-fex64.exe was installed on the USB. Since I wasn't sure if anything had happened I ran that same file from the USB. I then rebooted with the USB driver and WDO but got the same message about the virus definitions being out of date. Did I miss some step along the way?

Thanks.

Bob

Thanks
    Bob,

I just re-updated as follows:
    1. Plugged in my USB Key (WDO already installed w/old definitinons).
    2. Using Shortcut w/Link to website downloaded the mpas-feX64.exe to my Desktop.
    3. Double-Clicked the Desktop Icon.
    4. Used the safely remove USB device icon to remove the USB Key from my desktop.
    5. Inserted the USB Key in my Laptop and booted.
    6. Clicked on the Update tab in WDO and it showed:
      Definitions last updated: 4/28/16 at 11:40 AM
      Virus definition version: 1.215.1088.0
      Spyware definition version: 1.215.1088.0

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Bob,

Interestingly enough after the Scan completed the Home Tab shows the red computer screen with the white X and indicates the definitions are out of date! With the White on Red Turn On button! AFAIKT this is just an indication that Automatic Definition Updates are not enabled.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

Thanks again for your advice. I started from the beginning and downloaded WDO again as well as downloaded and ran the virus definition update. Alas, the result was the same. WDO said that the definitions were out of date. The update tab didn't have any definitions posted.

I think you and I have spent enough time on this. I will just look for a different offline package. I don't have a problem but wanted to prepare in case I get one. But clearly WDO and my system aren't playing nice with one another.

Again thanks for taking the time to help me.

Bob