New Lounger
    Thanks

DFS and mandatory profiles

Hello Everyone,

When I give a direct path \\jkr527\profiles\student\profile, everything works like gold!!! When I give the profile \\warstar.com\profiles\student\profile, it saves the changes. I looked at my dfs (replicating fine).
    Still no change. I would appreciate any help o this. I even ran gpupdate on the client nothing, but when I directly put a server path instead of a dfs path works perfect.

Thanks
    What specifically are you trying to accomplish here?

Is there a reason you want to put the web address (i.e. external path) rather than the direct server (i.e. internal) path? Things will be less complicated if you stick with the internal network names rather than putting the web address as part of the name.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cross posted, see rule 14.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserver8gen

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    What specifically are you trying to accomplish here?

Is there a reason you want to put the web address (i.e. external path) rather than the direct server (i.e. internal) path? Things will be less complicated if you stick with the internal network names rather than putting the web address as part of the name.
    It does not work whether I put the .com or not. \\jkr527\profiles\student\profiles work with no problem.
    \\warstar\\profiles\student\profiles does not work whether it is warstar or warstar.com

screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Cross posted, see rule 14.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserver8gen

cheers, Paul
    Rule 14?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What I am trying to do insmake work with DFS instead of just one singular server. Thanks!!:-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr527 View Post
    It does not work whether I put the .com or not. \\jkr527\profiles\student\profiles work with no problem.
    \\warstar\\profiles\student\profiles does not work whether it is warstar or warstar.com

screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png
    "jkr527" is the actual name used by your network. "warstar.com" is the external website address used by your network. I believe you will be more successful using the actual name than the one which redirects things to the actual name.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr527 View Post
    What I am trying to do insmake work with DFS instead of just one singular server.
    Perhaps this would be helpful to you.

Rule 14 states that you shouldn't post the same question on Windows Secrets Forums that you posted on someone else's forum.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    "jkr527" is the actual name used by your network. "warstar.com" is the external website address used by your network. I believe you will be more successful using the actual name than the one which redirects things to the actual name.

Perhaps this would be helpful to you.

Rule 14 states that you shouldn't post the same question on Windows Secrets Forums that you posted on someone else's forum.
    Thanks, I did not know about rule 14. I just did not want a direct server profile. So in case the server went down, it would accessible regardless. That is why I put it in dfs. Warstar is the domain. Thanks for your help. I am still confused. Newbie.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For more information on why cross posting is frowned upon see this page.
    http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-04-26)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    For more information on why cross posting is frowned upon see this page.
    http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

cheers, Paul
    Really great stuff in the post you linked to.

I had a chuckle reading one guy's response to the posting: He went on and on about why he disagreed with the person who explained why cross-posting was a bad idea. Hopefully he'll learn when he ticks a bunch of people off by cross-posting, and gets cross-banned. His response gave me a very clear understanding of why cross-posting is NOT allowed.

Thanks
    What is your DFS root name? That should be somewhere in the UNC path. For example, let's say your DFS root is named DFS. In your case the UNC path would look like this: \\warstar.com\DFS\profiles\student\profile. Not sure referencing a DFS link/share would work with just the domain name in there.
    Basic info on DFS and namespace characteristics
    If you don't try new things, you'll miss out on life's most important disappointments.