Thanks

Back up contact groups in Windows Live Mail?

My friend uses Windows Live Mail 2012 to access his Cox email. He has about 600 contacts, and 224 of them are in a group (Category). He accidentally deleted all the contacts in that group. I was able to restore them by finding an old sent email and recreating the group. My question now is, is there a way to backup the group in case this happens again? I've exported the contacts, but it just seems to be the 600 contacts, with no ability to tell which ones are in the group.

Thanks

Thanks
    I did some experimenting and I did manage to come up with a makeshift way to backup the Category.

I can go to the Category and open it, select them all, tell it to create an email to all of them, and then copy those addresses from the To: line to a text file. If needed, the group can be recreated by pasting the contents of that text file into a New Category dialog.
    This seems kind of primitive, if someone knows a better way I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Actually it turns out this does not really work too well. I ended up the email addresses in the category as expected, but the contact names were not imported. So I am needing to rebuild the category. Rather than confuse this thread with that issue, I am going to start a new thread.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is how I keep a second copy of my WLM Groups (actually a second copy of all of my address book entries).

I exported all of my WLM contacts as "business cards" (.vcf files). (It'll be too late for you to do this now, but will work in the future once you have recreated everything.) Note that Categories/Groups are not exported in this fashion.

I import these Business Cards into my "Users-(my user name)-Contacts" folder as "vCard (.vcf) format. (If there are presently any other contacts in this folder, I delete them first to avoid duplicates.)

I recreate all of my Categories/groups within the Contacts folder.

Then I maintain both the WLM Contacts and the items within the User-my user name-Contacts folder identically (i.e. in "lock step"), this includes the Categories/Groups. In other words, when I change or add something to my WLM address book, I do the exact same in the Contacts folder.

If/when the WLM address book gets farkled, I simply delete everything in it (including categories) and then do an Import from the selection "Address Book for Current Windows User". All of the contacts and groups from the folder are then imported directly and perfectly back into my WLM.

It's sometimes a bit labor intensive to make changes twice, but has saved my bacon many times, including when I transfer things to a new computer.
    Last edited by al taylor; 2016-05-17 at 19:18.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to al taylor For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanks for the idea. But the problem is that my friend cannot be relied on to keep both lists identical, so not sure that this would work for him.
    I've still not yet rebuilt the group for him successfully, keep having problems. I'm experimenting with using Gmail contacts and Windows Contacts as intermediaries, it looks promising.

Thanks