Thanks

Paint Shop Pro 7 not working correctly after Win 8.1 repair.

I have had to reinstall and repair the system a few times. Paint Shop Pro 7 was reinstalled several times as necessary and it worked well.

Since the last repair it doesn't work correctly. When I click on a jpg file, PSP opens but no image is displayed, and a notice "There was a problem while sending the command to the program" appears.

I have tried installing it with compatibility set to XP SP3 with no effect, and I have tried right clicking the exe file in its installation c.d. and trying the compatibility route from there. All to no avail.

During my efforts to get it working I also received a message, when closing PSP,

"DDE Server Window. PSP.exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x61ab69c referenced memory at 0x00000011. The memory could not be read."

I don't remember now what I had been doing just before that.

I must assume that a new update has caused the problem. Does anyone know how I can get round this so that PSP once again works correctly.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Thanks
    There was a serious memory bug in the original Paint Shop Pro 7.00 so Jasc rushed out a 7.02 patch. This helped a little but Jasc ended up releasing a 7.04 update, mainly because of DDE issues - if I remember correctly. (I was a PSP subscriber at the time and, after several complaints about stability and crashes due to DDE, Jasc sent me a free boxed PSP 7.04 Anniversary Edition, probably to shut me up.)

I'm still using PSP 7.04, albeit in Windows 7 and Windows 10, and it's very stable... no DDE issues at all.

Do you have the PSP 7.04 update installed? If not, it looks like the patch is still available at oldversion.com.

If you do have the PSP 7.04 update installed, try this:

1. Open File > Preferences then, on the Undo/Redo tab, put a tick in the Limit undo/redo... checkbox, OK the change then restart PSP for the change to take effect.

If things still don't improve, try this:
    2. Remove the tick from the Enable the redo system checkbox, OK the change then restart PSP for the change to take effect.

psp.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Thank you Rick.

My PSP is version 7.04 Anniversary Edition. I tried ticking and un-ticking the boxes but it hasn't had any effect.

It's so annoying that it was fine until, presumably, a Windows update messed thing up.
    Last edited by Syncopator; 2016-04-27 at 14:19.

Thanks
    DDE was always Paint Shop Pro's Achilles' Heel up to and including v9, not helped that the DDE settings for PSP were stored in the registry but split into 2 seperate places, i.e. by 'Machine' and by 'User'.

Try another account on the PC/laptop. If you get the same error then it's probably the DDE settings for 'Machine'. If you don't get the same error then it's probably the DDE settings for your profile. ('Probably' because I don't know what recent updates were installed.)

Either way, it's probably easier to just repair or uninstall/re-install PSP than trying to sort things out manually in the registry.

Sorry but I don't know of any other potential easy 'fixes' for this.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-04-27 at 16:39.

Thanks
    Thank you again Rick.

I installed PSP on the default Administrator account and it behaves in exactly the same way.

Clicking the program's icon opens it up. Once it's open I can click on File, then Open, search for a jpg, click on that and it opens in PSP.

So I can still use even though it's annoying to have to do so that way.

Oh, and I just followed the normal installation procedure - didn't bother with compatibiity settings etc.

Thanks
    I uninstalled it again, from both accounts.

Then I ran JV16's Power Tools "Uninstall software and leftovers". I found two entries related to PSP and deleted them.

Then reinstalled PSP normally - no messing about with compatibility etc - and it now works correctly again.

Thanks
    Glad you got it working again. Thanks for posting back.