2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partitioning my thumb drive - can't assign drive letter

I have a Lexar 128 GB thumb drive that was delivered as a single partition, FAT format.
    I wrote 10 GB of data on it, then got the bright idea to partition it in half, with the second partition as ExFAT.
    That way I could read/write between my PC and MAC Book as well as just store data for Windows backup and transfer.

I managed to get the partition built but can't get a drive letter assigned to it.
    So Windows Explorer doesn't see the second partition.

I'm using Acronis Disk Director and Windows Disk Manager.
    I reformatted the partition to ExFAT with the MAC Book Disk Utility.

I do have a 16 GB thumb drive that I partition completely as ExFAT, which works fine.

Any ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There seems to be an issue with multiple partitions on a USB stick.
    http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/multipartufd
    http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-har...ash-drive.html

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-08)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRon View Post
    I have a Lexar 128 GB thumb drive that was delivered as a single partition, FAT format.
    I wrote 10 GB of data on it, then got the bright idea to partition it in half, with the second partition as ExFAT.
    That way I could read/write between my PC and MAC Book as well as just store data for Windows backup and transfer.

I managed to get the partition built but can't get a drive letter assigned to it.
    So Windows Explorer doesn't see the second partition.

I'm using Acronis Disk Director and Windows Disk Manager.
    I reformatted the partition to ExFAT with the MAC Book Disk Utility.

I do have a 16 GB thumb drive that I partition completely as ExFAT, which works fine.

Any ideas?
    Your Mac and Windows and Linux can use FAT32-formatted drives, I use a 250GB portable HDD with all of mine. I used the bootable GPARTED CD to create and format the drive. Windows has a limit of 32GB FAT32 partitions and Mac OS X has issues with NTFS unless using third-party software. If the Thumb drive were mine I'd use GPARTED to clean it then partition and format full size as FAT32 [the way it came when new].

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Your Mac and Windows and Linux can use FAT32-formatted drives, I use a 250GB portable HDD with all of mine. I used the bootable GPARTED CD to create and format the drive. Windows has a limit of 32GB FAT32 partitions and Mac OS X has issues with NTFS unless using third-party software. If the Thumb drive were mine I'd use GPARTED to clean it then partition and format full size as FAT32 [the way it came when new].
    OK, let's see - GPARTED avoids the Windows limit on partition size... but I really want to preserve the 10 GB of data I have on the primary partition now.
    That's my reason for trying to build a second partition.
    That apparently runs me into the issue of the partition table and drive letter assignment.
    Looks like there are third party solutions to that issue but really a deep dive for me...
    All of this comes from the unit being classed a removable drive.
    Sigh, guess I'll move the 10 GB over to a hard drive, re-do the format and move it all back.
    Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks
    Windows will assign a drive letter to the USB drive, when you plug it into your PC, and the drive letters given will depend on what drive letters are already used on your PC. That will probably vary, from PC to PC.

So, don't try to assign permanent drive letters to your USB drive, , , that's just not the way things work!!!

I have several USB drives, both Flash Drives and External Hard Drives and I've partitioned most of them, but on every PC that I plug them into, they may have different drive letters. That's just the way it works.*

* Even the Flash Drive that I use in my car, to play music, is partitioned and each partition is Named but not given a drive letter.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Windows will assign a drive letter to the USB drive, when you plug it into your PC, and the drive letters given will depend on what drive letters are already used on your PC. That will probably vary, from PC to PC.

So, don't try to assign permanent drive letters to your USB drive, , , that's just not the way things work!!!

I have several USB drives, both Flash Drives and External Hard Drives and I've partitioned most of them, but on every PC that I plug them into, they may have different drive letters. That's just the way it works.*

* Even the Flash Drive that I use in my car, to play music, is partitioned and each partition is Named but not given a drive letter.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    I agree about the USB Thumb Drives but have 3 USB External HDDs that have drive letters assigned. Since they are never unplugged the lettering is static, show up in DIsk Management and can be changed there if desired.