Star Lounger
    Thanks

win 7 updates kill Flight simulator and Age of kings start icon Games

Hi Forum members Some help please. Both above listed programs need a CD to be present to start the Games. Win updates makes the games no longer start. My workaround is not to have the updates installed. Deleting the updates from Sept. of 2015 onwards makes them work again. I don't know which updates causes the problem so I deleted everything after that date. I have set my updates to never. The concern is the obvious one. The Grand Kids really like both games. Is there a known update the kills the CD requirement for those games? I wold really like to be able to continue having the kids play these games. Flight simulator is 2004 and Age of kings is also old. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Kb3086255?

Important This article contains information that shows how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement this workaround, you should take any appropriate additional steps to help protect the computer.
    See also: https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/septe...ks-many-games/

This September 2015 Windows update KB3086255 basically disables secdrv.sys which is an anti-piracy copy protection that is used by many games developers and some other software companies. The driver, secdrv.sys, is used by games which use Macrovision SafeDisc. Without the driver, games with SafeDisc protection would be unable to play on Windows.

You will know very quickly if you are affected by this update when you try to play a game that uses SafeDisc copy protection because you will get a message saying “Please login with administrator privileges and try again”. or some other similar message saying you need administrator privileges.

If you see that message on Windows 7 or Windows 8 / 8.1 then use the fix described in the Microsoft KB
    I honestly cannot see anyone constantly enabling and then disabling the already hated and buggy secdrv.sys driver service on a daily basis. It will get left enabled and then a user will be vulnerable to the attacks currently using it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petrox View Post
    Hi Forum members Some help please. Both above listed programs need a CD to be present to start the Games. Win updates makes the games no longer start. My workaround is not to have the updates installed. Deleting the updates from Sept. of 2015 onwards makes them work again. I don't know which updates causes the problem so I deleted everything after that date. I have set my updates to never. The concern is the obvious one. The Grand Kids really like both games. Is there a known update the kills the CD requirement for those games? I wold really like to be able to continue having the kids play these games. Flight simulator is 2004 and Age of kings is also old. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Peter
    If you could remember the approximate date that the games quit working, you could install all updates and then uninstall them, one at a time, from that date backward, testing the games after each uninstall, until the games start working again.

Then note that update, do a scan for updates, and hide that one when it shows up in the list of updates. Then install all but that update.

If the problem comes back, start uninstalling them, one at a time, beginning with the one before the one you hid, testing the games after each one, until the games start working again.

After going through this entire process, you will know which update(s) is the culprit, and you can keep them hidden so they won't inadvertently install in the future.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you satrow and jimphelps. I have read all the suggestion and will try to do the fixes. The KB3086255 is not on the computer. The delete update one at a time I have tried but gave up after an hour. I will let you know which update if I find it which is unlikely. Thanks again for your replies. Regards Peter