New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Backup consistent "0x81000037" failure

I consistently get error "0x81000037" running W7 backup, creating image backup(s) of my c: SSD boot drive & file backups of most of my HD data drive, Z: onto a USB drive, X:

When I run
       dir /AL /S | find "junction"
    on every drive, nothing is displayed.

sfc /scannow & chkdsk's show no errors.
    I have no quarantined executables. Windows Security Essentials, and others, pass my system, except excluded locations.
    I have no drives mounted as directories.

I am using Intel Smart Response Technology to use 20GB on my SSD as a cache for my HD.
    My 4 libraries are each set to point to directories on my Z: drive, and my wallpaper is all in a directory on the Z: drive.

Why doesn't Windows 7 Backup work? Help!

tOM

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would seem that you are following the steps in this MS solution ? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...karoundissue12

The cmd DIR /AL /S doesn't do much for me in my Win 7 either but I can successfully create system images for C: and System files onto external HDDs.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DIR /AL /S
    Volume in drive C is WINDOWS
    Volume Serial Number is 506C-4FCA
    File Not Found

C:\Windows\system32>

If your external drive is recognised in diskmgmt.msc then it may be worth running the Pre-Scan in Option 2 of the free version of Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com to see if you have any Reparse Point corruption with which the Reparse Point repair can usually resolve.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to suggest you stop using Windows Backup.

You have already experienced how fiddly and flaky it can be when making backups. Imagine what it would be like when you try to recover from a backup only to find it wasn't usable.

There are several very good free image backup packages (such as Macrium Reflect) or paid for software (eg Acronis) which suffer none of Windows' unreliability in such a critical function.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tom

I agree with Martin.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If your external drive is recognised in diskmgmt.msc then it may be worth running the Pre-Scan in Option 2 of the free version of Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com to see if you have any Reparse Point corruption with which the Reparse Point repair can usually resolve.
    I've done that too...
    The only redirects I have in my system are:
    - Libraries on C: (my SSD) are redirected to my data hard drive, Z:
    - The wallpaper directory on C: is pointed to a directory on Z:

I've regularly run CHKDSKs on all my drives, and SFX /scannow

The image backups of C: seem to work.

For the file/directory backup, I have specified the directories (on Z: ) I want backed up.
    It seems to do some of the file backup. C: is 75G occupied, Z: is 550G, the backup drive is 700GB occupied.

Thanks
    +1 -- For a long time I used only Acronis True Image, then added Macrium Reflect Pro to the mix. Have just recently added Image for Windows 'cause I want to learn more about it.
    You can get any number of 3rd party real-great-working backup/restore utilities for free. You don't have to go the pay-for route like I did.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/