Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

I really need backup/update help, please

I just joined this group today and I hate to come in asking for help before contributing but I have some serious concerns regarding my PC

Its a custom built i7 -3930k@3.2ghz 16gb ram running Win7 64x with an ASUS mb. I use it as the basis of a project recording studio and it has a 3 internal drives in addition to the 120GB C// drive. I record client projects to an F drive with instruments sounds on the other 2.

My problem is ,I cant back anything from my computer to an external usb drive or get Win7 updates or upgrade to Windows 10. This has been going on for roughly 5 months now and I'm worried I'll lose personal or client data at some point Plus I'd like to migrate to Win 10 to stay current

Backups - Three years ago I bought and installed Paragon Home backup and it worked for a few months then it stopped doing auto backups. I corresponded with their tech but, to me , its a cryptic program and I gave up trying to get it working. It remained on my computer and tried to set it up again ,a few months ago. Didnt work and it still keeps trying to open and run the last scheduled update everyday but just sits on 0 % completed all day or until I close it.

In the mean time I've just been dragging pertinent files to an external drive to save. One of my many usb drives is a Seagate and ,for me, the Seagate software has been simple and perfect for auto backups but the last iteration I'd been using would give a periodic BSOD and I had to uninstall. Seeing the shortsighted of having nothing, I reinstalled the Seagate software 2 days ago with the intention of doing a backup of all drives and then uninstalling. I set it up to run and it just stuck on 0 progress. I then uninstalled Paragon yesterday and tried to use Reflect to image my C drive. It ran all afternoon yesterday and all night just to show 0% complete this morning. I feel like I have an errant file in place or something blocking all of these backup programs. I looked to System Restore but my last restore point is 2013 and I would lose a lot of installed programs if I rolled back

Updates - I though a solution might be installing Win 10, but each update attempt just stalls and I cant even download it. I'm anxious to get this fixed and at least have a C// image . If anyone has any ideas, or recognizes these symptoms ,please let me know. The computer works great otherwise ad is solid in the studio. Thanks for reading all of this

Thanks
    Try running chkdsk /f from an administrative command prompt.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try running chkdsk /f from an administrative command prompt.
    I tried this and got "Chkdsk cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked on restart"

I'll say yes, restart and see what happens

Thanks for the reply

Thanks
    From your opening, I gather you've tried both scheduled and on-demand full image of your OS partition and your data partition, did I read that correctly? My eyes are not what they should be.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    From your opening, I gather you've tried both scheduled and on-demand full image of your OS partition and your data partition, did I read that correctly? My eyes are not what they should be.
    Thanks for reply. Yes, with Paragon, I've tried both. With Reflect I've only tried on demand. Check disk just did its thing so I'll try again. Also should mention that when this all started ,my shuts downs would hang and I'd have to shut off my PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update that after running chkdsk /f I tried running the disk image with Reflect again. Its been running for 2 hours and still on 0%. The disk is being created to a USB 3 drive and its only 115gb. I'll leave it running overnight but if anyone has any other ideas; they'd be appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you looked in the log created by Macrium - that might have a clue as to what's going wrong? I assume that Paragon would also have a log as well.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can view the chkdsk /f report in Event Viewer by going Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

Expand Windows Logs then click on the name Application then on Action/Find

In the Find box type chkdsk or wininit and press enter then cancel the find box to read the report in the scrollable window and as well as seeing if it repaired any files, also check to see if it reported any KBs in bad sectors - but I think your system would benefit from running the free version of Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com

It's advocated to run the main repairs twice in Safe Mode, but work your way through the Options as the Pre-Scan in Option 2 may be particularly informative if it finds problems with the Package Files.

Event Viewer may have something recorded for your Volume Shadow Service if restore points aren't being created, but it would be worth going Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy and that should be showing as Manual, but is dependent upon RPCSS, DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper services showing as Started and Automatic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    B.G.,

Have you tried making the Macrium Recovery Media and then booting from it and creating your Image from there. This will take any problems with your Windows Installation out of the equation. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2016-04-28),Trev (2016-04-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the responses.

access- I never thought of the log files ,since the programs never actually reach a conclusive fail. In every case they just run for hours and never get past 0% progress so I stop them. Right now ,Relflect has run all night and still at 0%. Looking in the install folder I dont see anything indicating it would be a log file. I will follow this idea up however

Sudo - thanks for this suggestion. I will try this and also run Tweaking

Retired - I was able to create a boot disk so I may check this out. This approach is on the periphery of my comfort zone as I'm anxious about being able to get back to a working state or trying this prior to having created a image that I can restore from. I'm sure you suggestion is practical: I'm just paranoid.

Thanks all!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Is the external drive formatted?

2. Can you write (copy) files to the external drive using Windows Explorer?

3. Can you read the files you copied to the external drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    1. Is the external drive formatted?

2. Can you write (copy) files to the external drive using Windows Explorer?

3. Can you read the files you copied to the external drive?
    I responded to this yesterday, dont know what happened to the post. Anyway ,the answer is yes to all of the above. In addition, I stated that I'd try a new drive ,which I did, and the backup also ran overnight with a 0% completion after 12 hours. Thanks for the response. I'll try the Tweaking suggestion next

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked the services are as they should be yet ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    B.G., Have you tried making the Macrium Recovery Media and then booting from it and creating your Image from there. This will take any problems with your Windows Installation out of the equation. HTH
    Don't forget to try this, we need to determine if this is a:
    -- backup/restore drive chain problem
    -- or a security/monitoring operations problem
    -- or a Windows Prime operations problem
    -- or, perish the thought, a combination of the above

Oh, from experience I learned about backups/restores; I have restored many an OS on my computers over the years. Presently, weekly or bi-monthly, at least two full images of both OS partition and data partition are made onto two usb external platter-clatter hard-drives using both Macrium Reflect [free & pay-for] and Acronis True Image. Shofar, I have not been successful with Image for Windows.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-04-30 at 06:05.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    #Build Gates
    You're attracted the attentions of several great sources of help, so I'll just hang around to see what I may learn.

#RolandJS
    I'd be interested in learning what difficulties you've had in the use of Image for Windows. Perhaps you should start a thread on the subject. I think there are others here who could help resolve your problem(s) with IfW.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-04-30 at 20:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast