iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Build 14328 reveals the next evolution of Win10

Field Notes

By Tracey Capen

It's about three months to go before Microsoft releases the next big Win10 upgrade the so-called Anniversary Update, reportedly due out in July.

But the Win10 preview builds are coming fast, and the just released Version 14328 shows some nice refinements to the user interface.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/build-14328-reveals-the-next-evolution-of-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That three line icon

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post

Field Notes

By Tracey Capen

It's about three months to go before Microsoft releases the next big Win10 upgrade the so-called Anniversary Update, reportedly due out in July.

But the Win10 preview builds are coming fast, and the just released Version 14328 shows some nice refinements to the user interface.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/build-14328-reveals-the-next-evolution-of-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    From what I've read elsewhere, no one, including me, wants that three line icon - which you need to use to get to the settings, the major settings, that are now available with one click under the current start menu. They are fixing something that isn't broken, and breaking it in the process. As you noted, I do NOT want all apps displayed on the start menu, I have the ones I use pinned to the task bar and use All Programs only when using one I don't use often enough to pin. I'm not seeing this as the improvement you are. As for Cortana, I'll never use that feature either, I'll never agree to the TOS to sign in with a Microsoft account - that is way too Big Brother for me. I don't want MS tracking my every move which signing in with a MS account essentially gives them free reign to do. It is why I don't use either of their browsers. I value my privacy and don't trust MS to value it as much as I do. I don't use Google search for the same reason. One can find anything needed with Windows Explorer and online with any number of private search engines. Just one opinion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears that Microsoft is going to continue with it's never ending interface changes. Users barely have time to figure out the new changes (particularly since updates don't come with any kind of changes or "What's new" document) and another set of changes is rolled out.

We already had the Taskbar and the Desktop (which can hold both individual apps and folders for grouping apps), and the Start Menu Tiles, and the Most Used Apps, and All Apps. Now MS is changing things again and "this build pulls the All apps list from its separate window and puts it in the main Start screen, under the Most used list". I swear that this whole thing is being designed by competing groups of people who each have their own vision of what constitutes an ideal interface. And each group gets to put one or two things in each new go around.

And it looks like Settings is going to be reworked again. It already takes me 5 min to find something because there's so much stuff to wade through. I'm starting to think that the actual plan is to so obfuscate and overwhelm the user that they will give up and just let all the settings go to the defaults, thus giving MS what they really want - total control with most machines having the same settings.

And I really don't get all this work being poured into Cortana. Do people really talk to their computers? I yell at mine frequently but it doesn't do any good. And I discovered early on that Cortana won't obey me when I tell it to go away and never return. I'm thinking of getting a restraining order but not sure what court to apply to.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Tracey, I already have build 14332 - got it automatically about 2 days ago. Is that the next intermediate step or what?
    Thank you for your informative articles - they are so helpful!
    Alan Salls
    Temecula, CA
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-04-28 at 17:51. Reason: Removed email addy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    From what I've read elsewhere, no one, including me, wants that three line icon - which you need to use to get to the settings, the major settings, that are now available with one click under the current start menu. They are fixing something that isn't broken, and breaking it in the process. As you noted, I do NOT want all apps displayed on the start menu, I have the ones I use pinned to the task bar and use All Programs only when using one I don't use often enough to pin. I'm not seeing this as the improvement you are. As for Cortana, I'll never use that feature either, I'll never agree to the TOS to sign in with a Microsoft account - that is way too Big Brother for me. I don't want MS tracking my every move which signing in with a MS account essentially gives them free reign to do. It is why I don't use either of their browsers. I value my privacy and don't trust MS to value it as much as I do. I don't use Google search for the same reason. One can find anything needed with Windows Explorer and online with any number of private search engines. Just one opinion.
    ...make that two please. This is my opinion also.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My biggest gripe of Windows 10 (by a long shot) is the forcing of driver updates. I can live with the other OS updates being forced but IMO Microsoft has no business deciding which hardware drivers a user wants or needs. I've already had issues with a driver Microsoft installed that I did not want (especially video card drivers). For example when installing Nvidia vid card drivers manually, you can select which parts of the driver you want to have installed depending what you need for your system. When Microsoft installs the video driver, it auto installs the whole package. I then have to go back each time, un-install it and then download driver from nvidia, manually install it again to have what I want. Pain in the butt each time Nvidia updates their drivers and Microsoft update then installs it. This should be a user decision, not Microsoft.
    Last edited by Mike89; 2016-04-28 at 17:02.
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), Soundbaster Z, , WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    Build 14322 is mostly a massive bug-fix edition. There will undoubtedly more builds coming.