Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bye bye Windows updates...

Since a couple of months, I've noticed that the WU icon has disappeared from the tray and I'm no longer getting notifications of updates (Win7 x64). If I click on WU in the program list, I'm given the list of updates I need to apply (setting: notify but do not download or install).

If I select the downloads to install, the process just hangs.

So, what's Microsoft playing at...?

I hear the Linux sirens calling...

Thanks
    Windows 7 Updates have been AGONISINGLY slow (emphasis intended) for several months now in enumerating the updates which need to be applied. At least four "fixes" have been proposed, and sometimes one or more seems to work, but not always.

I've currently been trying to update a newly-installed Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit laptop for about 30 hours, with the wuauserv SVCHOST task sitting at 50% CPU = one of the two cores flat out (found using Resource Monitor: perfmon /res, CPU tab, Services section).

I shall leave it overnight again, and maybe tomorrow morning I shall find several hundred updates (probably over 300, since I also installed Office 2010) sitting waiting to be downloaded and installed.
    Or maybe not...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

After seeing the OP's post I booted to my Win7 HP (Dual Boot Laptop) and what did I get but:

This is Not a Genuine Windows! Say what?

So I tried entering my License Key again....not valid!

Next, get out the Macrium Reflect and restore the drive image. Instant valid windows!
    Win7HPActivation.JPG

I uninstalled my GWX Control Panel, downloaded and installed the latest version.

After the install Windows wanted me to sent the file for Analysis. (Made me so mad I clicked it off before capturing an screen shot) Yes MS asking me to help them "force" (sorry but at this point that's the only way I can describe it) Win 10 on this installation. Remember I already have Win 10 on this machine (and yes I have a separate license!).

I'm currently running an Update Check and BATcher I'm feeling your pain!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Saw this from another poster on an earlier thread regarding slow WU. I recently had to do a restore from an image that was almost 3 months old due to a borked driver install. My bad for having such an old image, but when I finished the restore, my WU was still behaving badly.

I took the advice of the other poster and installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145739. Rebooted and ran WU. It found over 40 updates and installed them flawlessly even with a progress report. I hid the update KB3138612 and do not plan to install it.

Not sure why this has anything to do with WU, but mine has not worked this well in months.

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I got it again so here it is:
    gwx control panel virus.JPG

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-29)

Thanks
    I used Google Translate on "We found some files we'd like to analyze. Send them to Microsoft to help us improve our anti-virus and malware measures."

Apparently it means "We have detected attempts to stop Windows 10 being installed so will implement massive Windows Update slowdown for earlier versions and spurious error messages until you just give up and accept. Resistance is futile."

Thanks
    It is possible (I put it no stronger than that) that the first* (KB 3138612) of the two updates mentioned in Woody's InfoWorld article: An unlikely combination of two Windows updates can reduce scan times from hours to minutes might have sorted out the problem for the laptop I'm currently working on. I now find (after yet another reboot) that there are 272 Windows 7 (and probably Office 2010) updates, just under 2 GB in total size, and 11 optional ones now waiting to download and install!

* I say 'the first' because the second one failed installation
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Sorry I forgot to post back last evening. I did finally get my updates after trying to use the manual update per post #4, it hung up also.
    I rebooted and magically the updates appeared and two iterations and done. And I'm still Genuine!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of installing just the newest win32k.sys security updates for Win7, try downloading & installing the June 2016 KB3161608 Update Rollup for Windows 7, which includes the KB3161647 Windows Update Client fix of June 2016.

Installing KB3161608 seems to have permanently resolve the problem - about as effective as installing the newest win32k.sys update for June which is KB3161664.