Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10

My wife is no longer able to use her Windows 7 laptop so I decided to apply the Windows 10 upgrade. Some time ago I had noticed the upgrade icon on the taskbar, but it had gone. It was selected to ask before downloading updates and the dialog stated the last updates to be October 2012, even though lots had been applied since then. One potential update was indicated so I tried to apply that but the supposed download went on for a couple of hours with no progress listed. I shut down and the next re-boot indicated 212 updates available but still no action whilst a download was supposedly in operation. Again I aborted an successfully downloaded the Windows 10 installation update from the Microsoft site and got as far as the download being verified, after I accepted the terms and conditions it started to look for updates and again there was no progress over the next two hours. It appears there is something blocking the looking for updates/installing process sfc /scannow found no fault. I have a Macrium image dated 2012 but if I use this presumably I would need to apply hundreds of updates before I could try to install Windows 10. What would be the best course of action.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know about a "normal" procedure but I've done about 30 Upgrades and usually start with a full/deep scan with the up-to-date antivirus followed by an antimalware program such as Malwarebytes. Then I run the Updates for the installed OS, usually Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 [as shown by Microsoft to get the Win10 free Upgrade] which takes awhile. Once all the updates have completed the install of Win10 goes pretty good, did one just yesterday on a Win7 Notebook, it had over 120 to do the first go-around then another almost 120 followed by 19 then by 6.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First make an verified drive image of your wife's laptop boot drive in case something goes horrible wrong with the Win10 upgrade.

1. Windows Update has been giving people fits for the past few weeks.

Try loading this first and then try the Win10 upgrade again. Nobody has any idea why it works or if it works if it will continue to speed up their updates later. Keep in mind it is a big download.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145739

2. If that fails, manually download and perform the Win 10 upgrade.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ade-first.html - hattip to Rick Corbett for this link

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...indows-7-and-8

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...rosoft-Sway%29
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-04-28 at 16:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-29)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    My wife is no longer able to use her Windows 7 laptop .... What would be the best course of action.
    Perhaps you should start by addressing the problem causing your wife to be unable to use Win 7. Upgrading a faulty system is a fairly common path to grief. If the last recognised update is from 2012, but you've applied updates since then, a serious problem is likely.

Regardless, having backed-up your data, you should be able to simply restore the Macrium image, install the KB3035583 (Win 10) update, then use that to upgrade. It's possible you'll have to install a few other updates as well, but there should be no need to install all the other post-2012 updates.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may just have to be patient and wait for it to download the updates in its own time, but which antivirus program are you using ?

They have been known to block updates by locking them while it checks the files.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone. I have done various malware scans to no avail, but I have tried again with the antivirus turned off (360 total security), to no avail - 0 kb and 0% downloaded after about an hour. I will try the other suggestions until something works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Recently following a recovery with a system image that took this Win 7 laptop back to before April's updates, I had to leave it on overnight for them to complete because it was sat at 0 KB and 0 %.

I don't know how long it actually took, but it was about 6 hours later when I got up after it had been running for over two hours beforehand.

Just let it run and forget about it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    First make an verified drive image of your wife's laptop boot drive in case something goes horrible wrong with the Win10 upgrade.

1. Windows Update has been giving people fits for the past few weeks.

Try loading this first and then try the Win10 upgrade again. Nobody has any idea why it works or if it works if it will continue to speed up their updates later. Keep in mind it is a big download.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145739

2. If that fails, manually download and perform the Win 10 upgrade.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ade-first.html - hattip to Rick Corbett for this link

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...indows-7-and-8

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...rosoft-Sway%29
    After doing a complete system backup, you might want to try a factory refresh - this will put it back to brand-new Windows 7 condition. Then do all updates, then do the upgrade to Windows 10.

Another possibility: Install a new hard drive, and then do a fresh install of Windows 7 onto the new hard drive. It is possible that there is a problem with her hard drive; hard drives fail eventually. Installing a new one will set the hard drive failure clock back to zero, and she will have a bigger and faster hard drive. Also, the old hard drive will then be a full backup of the system. Then do the upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks
    Another alternative:
    1. Download the Windows 10 update using the Media Creation Tool and create either a DVD or USB (preferable) installer. See How to Download a Windows 10 ISO File for more info.
    2. Temporarily disable 360 Total Security.
    3. Follow steps 4 to 6 inclusive in this article to save an .XML file with the current Windows 7 validation details.
    4. Run setup.exe from the installer you created in step 1 to install Windows 10 on the Windows 7 laptop as an upgrade rather than a clean install.
    5. Follow steps 8 to 11 inclusive in the same article as above to copy the .XML file you created earlier to Windows 10 to validate it.
    6. Re-enable 360 Total Security if not already re-anabled.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-04-29 at 18:41.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Perhaps you should start by addressing the problem causing your wife to be unable to use Win 7. Upgrading a faulty system is a fairly common path to grief....
    Nice catch and absolutely true.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-05-05)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @ Rick - For info - It isn't Norton 360 but 360 Total Security which is a different AV program.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

And a bit more - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/se...eview-3627597/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-05-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    @ Rick - For info - It isn't Norton 360 but 360 Total Security which is a different AV program.
    Thanks - have edited my previous post.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-05-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Success at last. I tried all the solutions but every one hung part way through - then I tried the waiting game as one suggestion and it has installed after 27 hours and twenty minutes. The installation on my desktop took about four hours but on the laptop (an Asus) most of the time was spent on repeatedly"checking for updates" with the progress at 0% indicated for hours on end. Thank you all for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @mike21, I'm glad her system is working OK now! Personally I've found it much faster to simply backup those docs, pictures, music which you want to keep. Then simply use a flash drive or DVD created from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to install Win 10 fresh, wiping out ALL existing partitions in the process (you must select custom install for that option). Then you can restore the backed up files and reinstall whatever apps you need. Your system will be faster and cleaner, and you'll be surprised at how many apps were once installed that you don't really need.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm no geek, and reading through the thread it struck me that you weren't allowing enough time for the updates. There have been many reports where it has taken all night - once on my previous machine - but 27 hours is incredible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast