Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question OEM Drive partition question

My Laptop is an HP ProBook 450 G2 and it started out as W7 pro. On 8/4/15, I upgraded to W10 Pro.
    My question is related to the HP Recovery partition on the HDD.
    Since Win 10 has taken over the old win 7 key, is there any reason to keep the recovery partition? In other words, if I had to actually use the Recovery system, would it be valid/work since it is now a Win 10 system?
    My thought is that if the recovery would no longer work, it is just wasting space on the HDD.
    Thanks for any responses.
    HP Drive Partitions.JPG

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes it is just wasting space, but you probably waste more than it.

You should have an external backup and recovery CD / USB.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-29)

Thanks
    As Paul says, the recovery partition is no longer functional after the upgrade, so can be removed. You should also run Disk Clean-up to remove the several GB of left over installation files (unless you think you may need to return to W7 within the first thirty days after the update) and any other detritus cluttering up the hard drive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-29)

Thanks
    @Paul T,
    Yes I originally made a recovery DVD and a clone ( which I set aside and bought another HDD to clone and upgrade to W10 on ) as soon as I got the laptop setup. Thanks
    @Calimanco,
    I'm loooong past the 30 day revert to W7 so now I will have to figure out how to delete the recovery partition and extend the C : partition. Thanks

Thanks
    Whether you can extend the C partition depends on where the partitions are located on the hard drive. If they are adjacent, it can be done. If separated by another partition, it cant - not without deleting the intervening partition anyway. You can check in Disk Manager for the partition arrangement. If its possible to merge the partitions, its better to use a third party tool to do the job, rather than the try to use the very basic Windows tool. MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good choice.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-29)

Thanks
    As you can see from the Disc Manager pic I posted in the OP, HP Recovery D : is located next to Windows C : so I will look at the link you posted.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The other way to do it would be to make a verified image of the new Win10 installation and then kill the drive partitions (assuming those are the only two partitions), then repartion the drive into one partition and then do a quick format. Then boot up your backup's rescue disk and reinstall your Win10 partition from the image. Minitool is a lot slicker.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-29),PhilI (2016-05-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    The other way to do it would be to make a verified image of the new Win10 installation and then kill the drive partitions (assuming those are the only two partitions), then repartion the drive into one partition and then do a quick format. Then boot up your backup's rescue disk and reinstall your Win10 partition from the image. Minitool is a lot slicker.
    Yeah, I guess I could re-clone and then mess with it in Disk Manager. I was thinking about just getting rid of the HP Recovery D : and extending Windows C : and keeping HP Tools E : ( drive letter would need to be changed obviously ).
    Does that sound feasible and relatively easy to do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Whether you can extend the C partition depends on where the partitions are located on the hard drive. If they are adjacent, it can be done. If separated by another partition, it cant - not without deleting the intervening partition anyway. You can check in Disk Manager for the partition arrangement. If its possible to merge the partitions, its better to use a third party tool to do the job, rather than the try to use the very basic Windows tool. MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good choice.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html
    The free MiniTool Partition Wizard doesn't extend partitions according to the features list, am I missing something?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of that link, I suggest you download the ISO file for the bootable CD here:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...otable-cd.html
    then burn the CD. Next, boot from the CD and do the deed.

You don't have to "install" the partition wizard mini tool to use a bootable CD.
    Remove the undesired partition. Apply. Then drag the right edge of the C: partition to the right until it occupies the previous space. Apply.
    Fairly simple.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-04-29 at 21:21. Reason: inserted "apply" text

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-30)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Tutorial - Removing OEM Disk Partitions

Hey Y'all,

Since this seems to come up frequently I thought I'd publish a step-by-step how-to on the topic.

The following was done on my main desktop machine (Dell XPS8700) running Windows 10 Pro.

1. Make SURE you have a FULL DRIVE IMAGE AND WORKING RECOVERY MEDIA (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) FOR YOUR IMAGING PROGRAM!
    2. Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a WORKING WINDOWS RECOVERY DRIVE (CD/DVD or USB)!
    3. Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a bootable copy of Partition Wizard Mini-Tool just in case!
    4. Re-Read Steps 1-3!
    5. Use Partition Wizard Mini-Tool's Explore function to decide which partitions you want to delete.

Starting Partition Setup:
      BegPartitions.PNG

Example of Explore feature (get there by right-clicking on the partition you want to explore)
      PWMT-Explore.PNG

NOTE: I'll be deleting the three (3) partitions following C: on Disk 1.
    6. With the Mini-Tool delete the selected partitions. Don't forget to Click the APPLY button!
    7. Reboot to make sure you haven't bolixed the boot process. Use the Windows Recovery Drive to recover from an error here (Fix Boot). If that fails dig out that Full Drive Image and Restore it.

Mid-point Partition Setup:
      MidPartitioins.PNG
    8. With the Mini-Tool extend your C: drive to use the free space. Again don't forget the Apply button.
    9. You'll get a message box like the following:
      PWMT Message.PNG
    10. Click the Restart option. You computer will reboot and make the changes at the "DOS" screen then reboot again back into Windows.
    11. Enjoy your new larger C: drive!

Final Partition Setup:
      AfterPartitions.PNG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-04-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice. I would recommend the mod separate this from this thread (or copy) and post it as a separate sticky in whatever you deem the appropriate forum. Then we can keep posting the link because retiredgeek is correct it keeps coming up over and over and over ....

Thanks
    RG is a Mod

Thanks
    Thanks RG
    Your tutorial does lead me to ask a few questions ( Possibly dumb ones, LOL ) though:
    Make SURE you have a FULL DRIVE IMAGE AND WORKING RECOVERY MEDIA (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) FOR YOUR IMAGING PROGRAM!
    Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a WORKING WINDOWS RECOVERY DRIVE (CD/DVD or USB)!
    Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a bootable copy of Partition Wizard Mini-Tool just in case!
    1- I clone instead of image so if there is a mess-up, I would swap drives.
    8- With the Mini-Tool extend your C: drive to use the free space. Again don't forget the Apply button.
    2- According to the mini-tool Features website there is no "Extend" on the free version, only the Pro and on up. Are you using Pro? OR is there a "Resize Partition" on the right click menu and you have to do the math to figure out how much space to allocate?
    3- In my case I was thinking about keeping HP TOOLS E : ( not sure if it is worth it or not but a thought anyway, opinions? ). So I would be taking HP RECOVERY D : out from between 2 partitions and extending WINDOWS C : ( all shown in #1 Post ).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Lumpy,

If you have a clone obviously that is just as good as an Image.

Yes I am using the Pro version but I used the Move/Resize option, "Extend" was just what I did not the option sorry for the confusion.

I'll see about making it a sticky after I consult with the other moderators on the appropriate location.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast