New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade created another boot loader

I run a dual boot Windows and Linux system on separate disks. I wanted to upgrade the Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool and had many problems. I ran the Windows 7 recovery/diagnostic disk which found a startup problem and which was automatically fixed. The rest of the upgrade from the tool went to EOJ but when I tried to boot Windows it failed. I started the system with Super Grub and it found 2 boot loaders (hd0,msdos2) and (hd0,msdos1) and only the (hd0,msdos2) entry works. The other fails. If I try to start Windows from the Linux grub menu it fails the same way. I suspect the boot managers are trying to start the boot loader in the first partition rather than the second. How do I remove (hd0,msdos1)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Lewis View Post
    ... only the (hd0,msdos2) entry works. The other fails.
    By "works" do you mean that you can boot Windows from there?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I boot with Super Grub, it lists 2 selections, one of which boots to windows and the other doesn't.

Thanks
    Which is your primary OS? Or to put it another way, which do you use to get to your boot menu, Linux or Windows?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My primary OS is Linux (Opensuse). The configuration is:
    4 disks
    - sda for Windows with 3 partitions
    - sdb for Linux with 2 partitions
    - sdc for data
    - sdd for data

The Windows disk (sda) is first in line but the bios loads sdb (Linux) first. In setting up the Linux boot loader GRUB configuration, the OS Prober found 2 Windows loaders on sda, one on sda1 and one on sda2. The GRUB menu now shows both Windows loaders and selecting the one on sda2 starts up Windows. The one on sda1 errors out. I ran a Windows 10 recovery disk, selected Troubleshooting and diagnose startup problems. The diagnosis found a problem but recovery couldn't fix it.

Thanks
    If the sda2 loader boots Windows, and Windows runs as it should, then just delete the loader on sda1; aside from not working, it's redundant.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that is my original question. How do I do that? I'm not a Windows guy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Lewis View Post
    Yes, that is my original question. How do I do that? I'm not a Windows guy.
    Boot into Linux, locate the loader, and delete it. If you're using MBR and not GPT, it will be on the root of sda1, a file named bootmgr.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That took care of it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.