Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New ASUS build will not post

I just tried to start my new build with ASUS Maximus VIII Formula. It will not POST. I have a Samsung M.2 950 Pro mounted on the board and no hard drives connected. There are two optical drives connected. When I try to start, both optical drive trays will open. The board lighting turns on. The display code is 00. Fans connected to the board do not operate. CPU fan is running. Nothing shows up on the monitor. How do I get it to POST?

Installed: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 2400
    Skylake i7 6700

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

Have you checked the BIOS to see if the M.2 slot is bootable and in the boot order.

You may also have to use a HDD or SDD to get it to post to install Windows on the M.2.

As I have no first hand experience with M.2 drives/slots I'm taking shots in the dark based on past experience.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG - That may be a problem. I have thought about putting a HD in or simply removing the M.2. The thing that is perplexing is that there are two fans plugged into the mobo. When I press the start button, the CPU cooler fan starts, but the two chassis fans do not. {There is a 3rd fan that I have not yet plugged in.} I can't imagine anything that would prevent the two fans from starting, especially since the connectors are designed so that they only connect in the correct position.

Since I have not used an M.2 before, it is an unknown for me. I have read that some people had trouble installing Windows to it, which is why I didn't connect anything else that might be a default for Windows.

I haven't checked anything on the BIOS because it doesn't display. The monitor remains blank. I am considering switching to a different monitor, but the fan thing still bugs me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    If the board will not post, drive bootability doesn't matter. The board should post with no drive installed. The fact that the board fans are not operating suggests a bad connection or a power supply issue. What does the board documentation say about a code of 00?

As a first step, disconnect everything except the power supply, one memory board and the video card and see if the system will POST. Review the board documentation and with power off, make sure everything is properly connected.

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found the problem. The ASUS tech help guy did a pretty good job. It turned out that there were two problems. The first (big surprise) was that I had somehow bent the edges of the CPU card. I bent them back and feared the worst, but after that, the fans operated. The error numbers changed to an indication that there was no RAM present. I moved the ram around, trying a single stick, then the other stick. No dice. ASUS said the RAM was not on their approved list. I bought Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400. I knew it was not on the list, but thought it would work, since much of the Corsair line was listed. The problem is that I was unable to find any of the acceptable RAM for sale. The PDF copy of the RAM list will not allow anything to be copied, so that rules out copy and paste.

I bought the RAM from Newegg, so I will call them tomorrow. [These things always happen on Sunday, when the suppliers are closed.] I don't know if Corsair would consider swapping or not. Maybe I should ask?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From research the ASUS error code list doesn't seem to give a lot for error code 00 - http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=00 and further research suggests that mobo can be fussy about its RAM and checking the ASUS QVL for your RAM may be advisable.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGg&cad=rjt

EDIT - I see you're on the same lines that I have found

They probably will if you return the modules in the original packaging so that they will be resalable.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-01 at 13:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-05-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For info - if you highlight a line in the QVL then right click on it, it will copy & paste -

CORSAIR
    CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10(XMP)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-05-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    QVLs are fairly meaningless. RAM is so standardized it works, period. Has for years. Some exceptions are if you bought seriously out of spec RAM. While the CPUs memory controller supports 2,133MHz RAM, 2,400 should work just fine and is a JEDEC standard.

Are you sure the memory stick was fully seated with both securing arms snapped into place?

The recommendation to build a minimal system is the place to start. Better if the build is outside the case on a non-conductive surface to eliminate shorts to case and make it easier to make connections and recognize improperly seated ones. Also I'd use onboard video and leave the GPU card off the minimal build. Put the stick in the slot nearest the CPU.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-02 at 02:19.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-05-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FN - Thanks. I assumed that the RAM would work because it was advertised to be for the Z170 chipset. The memory I selected was Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 (2x8GB). It was also within the frequency range that is supposed to be supported. The only thing I have not tried is to remove the board from the case and try to run it outside. The reason I am resistant to that is that the PSU cables are in place and tied down, so there is a good bit of work involved. I would think that would be justified, if the error codes were different. I got two error codes: 55 = memory not installed; 53 = Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed.

The sticks were properly seated. It is easy enough to see that there are no gaps at the edges and that the memory went in just as the last dozen or so have (other boards).

I am using onboard video and plan to only use it. My last computer (the one I am using to write this) is a Haswell i7, running from the CPU video. It has worked well for the past 3 years (I don't play games), so I expect the improved Skylake video to be perfect for my needs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    For info - if you highlight a line in the QVL then right click on it, it will copy & paste -

CORSAIR
    CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10(XMP)
    I must be using the wrong reference file. The one I have is the PDF of the ASUS board manual. It is locked in such a way that it is not possible to copy any highlighted text, nor is it possible to search for anything. ASUS may have released the QVL separately, without the lock.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    .... I got two error codes: 55 = memory not installed; 53 = Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed.

The sticks were properly seated. It is easy enough to see that there are no gaps at the edges and that the memory went in just as the last dozen or so have (other boards)....
    Memory properly seated is detected by the two latches on the sides being properly seated into place. It is the most common mistake to be made with this error.
    RAM proper seating.JPG
    At this point I am going to assume they are fully seated. So based upon the messages that leaves three likely possibilities: incompatible RAM, bad RAM, bad MB. Bad CPU memory controller would be less likely. If you tried both sticks by themselves with the same result it is unlikely both sticks are bad. It is more likely incompatible RAM or bad MB.

It is overclocked RAM (from 2,133MHz). I would have expected XMP to have properly set the appropriate settings but it is possible the settings were not made in BIOS. You may also need to turn on or direct it to XMP 2.0 support in the BIOS to get the MB to automatically make the timing adjustments for you (in MB manual?). If not, you can easily make them manually (see timings below) usually either in a RAM section or Advanced/Overclocking section. [Of course now that I think of it you can't get into the BIOS menu at this point can you?]

One other thing to do is update the BIOS if it is not already the latest revision (BIOS 1601, 2016/03/31). Fortunately ASUS does not require any RAM or even a CPU be present to do this, and your RAM should not be present during an update since it is currently an issue. See MB manual. It is easy to do using a flash drive, the designated port and pushing the BIOS button. All the revisions are stability updates so maybe it will help.

edit: There is one other thing to try: A CMOS reset. Sometimes a reset will make a new installation work because some settings are a bit wonky by forcing the system to reevaluate what is installed upon it. So put both sticks in the slots you want (usually A or zero channel) and reset using the jumper (see manual; preferred method) or with PC unplugged from wall remove the CMOS battery, hold the power button in for a few seconds to discharge caps and replace battery after 20 minutes).

This is also a time when recontacting ASUS support is not a bad option before returning anything. Corsair support as well...though unless you can access the BIOS Menu there isn't much they can do.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...-VIII-FORMULA/ - MB

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...MULA/HelpDesk/ - support

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO.../HelpDesk_QVL/ - RAM QVLs

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...135.1452473605 - manual

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-...6gx4m2a2400c14 - I believe this is your RAM model???? Which is on the latest QVL with full support listed
    Speed: 2400MHz
    Tested Latency: 14-16-16-31
    Voltage: 1.2V
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/under...g-ram-timings/
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-02 at 11:40. Reason: there is one other thing to try....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-05-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since ASUS told me that the RAM I had was not supported, they would not pursue any other solution. So, I returned the RAM and took the shipping and restocking loss. I bought new RAM after first confirming with ASUS that the new RAM was supported.

DDR4 2X8GB 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

It just arrived, so I put it in and gave it a try. I didn't expect it to work and it didn't. The error code showed 55 (no memory). Since I found that the corners of the CPU had been bent, I fear that somehow I did not get it reformed so that it would contact at every point.

I previously tried clearing the CMOS, using the mobo button.

I suppose I should try to update the BIOS, if that can be done without posting. So far, I haven't seen anything on the monitor screen, so I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings.

Thank you for the links. I will check them out to see if any suggest something I can try.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation

Since ASUS told me that the RAM I had was not supported ....
    So it wasn't the RAM model I linked in the bottom paragraph?

Since I found that the corners of the CPU had been bent, I fear that somehow I did not get it reformed so that it would contact at every point....
    BENT????!!!! Just mentioning this now? Bent how? I have never heard anyone describe a CPU as having its corners bent. Bent is not a description that ends well in tech support with the exception of the MB's appearance after clamping the heat sink down. That is the only situation where bent is normal.

Inadequate contact with the socket can definitely be causing the issue, but the CPU should not be bent in any manner. It is called a zero insertion force (ZIF) socket for a reason. So I think we need an explanation of what you mean by "bent." And "reformed."

edit: What model CPU? The Skylake's are thin. Did you use a 3rd party heat sink fan (HSF) (I know some of the newest high end CPUs don't come with a Intel HSF?) If so, what make and model number? Are you clamping it down too hard, if possible? or too non-uniform (or the HSF is not completely snapped into place on all four corners if a snap in model)?
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-07 at 09:44.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Bendgate

Interesting. I was unaware of this issue that had circulated six months ago. Intel has not updated its CPU-HSF instructions. I initially smelled a class action lawsuits....denial, finger pointing....not pretty, but I note it is a big hullabaloo the middle of December and then silence since.

The issue is the Skylake processor's PCB is noticeably thinner than previous CPU releases. Heavy 3rd party heat sinks that screw down have cause warping and damage to the CPU corners and the CPU socket pins in their corners when apparently jolted during transport. Does not seem to effect spring mounted HSFs. Gravity on the mass combined with transmitted impact force and already close to tolerance HSF clamping apparently is involved in exceeding Intel's specified loads.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake...-some-coolers/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...party-coolers/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30120...y-coolers.html

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482732-in...ount-pressure/

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...-party-coolers - interesting links

http://www.overclockers.com/msi-cpu-...-skylake-cpus/ - a 3rd party fix?
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-07 at 10:55. Reason: added synopsis of the issue

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2016-05-09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast