New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyper-V and Windows Task Manager

Hello,

I have Windows Server 2012 R2 running on a 4 core machine. I have Hyper-V enabled and I created a VM with 2 CPU's. This VM is now running a video conversion, which (of course) uses 100% CPU on this VM. So I think it is reasonable to expect that the host is running at least 50% CPU load.

However, Task Manager on the host only shows a load of 2%! It seems that Task manager ignores the load from VM's. I find this misleading, to say the least.

Has anybody seen this too?

TIA,

Bart

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The host controls how much CPU it allocates to the VM. You should be able to adjust it in the config of the VM.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. But the problem is not that I am or am not able to control the CPU allocation.

The problem is that Task Manager on the host seems to ignore or hide the CPU usage by VM's. It says 2% CPU load while I am sure that one VM takes at least 50%.

Bart

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How can you be sure if Windows doesn't tell you?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    How can you be sure if Windows doesn't tell you?

cheers, Paul
    Well, my reasoning is the following:

- I am pretty sure that the VM is running on this very same host, not on another system in my network
    - It is doing some real work. I can see the results: converted video files.
    - On the VM, Task Manager reports 99% CPU utilization, using 2 virtual CPU's

Still, the host Task Manager reports only 2% utilization, which corresponds to sitting idle.

Bart

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest trying Process Explorer from Sysinternals. This is as a way of trying to validate that Task Manager data (or validate your thesis that the VMs are excluded).

The other possibility is that these Hyper-V VMs are not just fractional cores, but are only getting a tiny percentage of those cores maximum capacity (i.e. ~2%). This too would explain your current result, though these would not seem to be sensible defaults for a VM setup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I suggest trying Process Explorer from Sysinternals. This is as a way of trying to validate that Task Manager data (or validate your thesis that the VMs are excluded).

The other possibility is that these Hyper-V VMs are not just fractional cores, but are only getting a tiny percentage of those cores maximum capacity (i.e. ~2%). This too would explain your current result, though these would not seem to be sensible defaults for a VM setup.
    Thanks, but no. Process explorere also reports 98% idle, in other words, it does not see the load of the VM. This VM is still happily pounding on the video conversion, and it does produce output, so I do not believe it gets only a tiny fraction of the available resources.

When I run a video conversion at the same time at the host itself, it says that it takes 100% CPU, but I do not know if the performance would be the same if the VM were not running. Difficult to say, because one video conversion pass takes several hours.

TANSTAAFL(*), so where do the resources come and go?

Bart

(*) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.