3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What do I do with these updates?

OK, I always read Susan's Patch Watch to decide what to do with the latest Windows Updates.
    However, little-by-little, I seem to be accumulating updates that I don't know what to do with (Maybe Susan failed to mention them, or I missed something). I know the suggestions for the first one on the list were too vague, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Anyway, Can I get some help? What do I do with these?

KB:
    2952664—this month-- so I suspect I'll get word on a subsequent Patch Watch
    3133977—ditto
    3137061—ditto

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before I download/install any updates I click on them then on the More Info link in the right pane and if any are for ease of upgrade or anything to do Windows Update Agent or RDS which I don't use, I'll hide them.

One of those is 2952664 which you have in your list, so if you don't want Win 10 then hide that one.

I haven't checked your list against what I have installed in my Win 7 but a Google on each will tell you what they are for.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo:

Thanks.

I have done that, but often I STILL am not sure what to do.
    Also, I am starting to really resent the time necessary for safe hex.
    Between doing regular backups, virus/malware-checking, updates along with the additional research you discussed, it is truly getting RIDICULOUS. Sigh....

Mel

Thanks
    I'd be cautious about hiding updates related to Windows Update Agent. There have been some Updates that fix the long time Windows Update takes on Windows 7.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry:

I've heard about that update delay. Can you elaborate on what that delay is? Is it the delay that occurs after you've selected the updates and chosen to download and install them? Or is it a delay when you request that Windows searches for available updates?

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It can be both but when mine stays at 0 KB and 0 % I just leave it and get on with something else and they eventually download and install.

It's up to you but having those updates installed has still been hitty missy for some.

Thanks
    See
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/stickin...alls-for-pain/
    for details. Installing KB3083710 and KB3102810 as mentioned in the article fixed it for me.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. So, the delay can be either of those I mentioned.
    I also just walk away and let it update when those delays occur.
    Not a big deal.

As I said, for me the real annoyance is the time involved in the whole security stuff as I delineated!

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Oh, I don't walk away from the machine - I can still work the forums or play Solitaire.

I restored those two KBs referenced by Jerry and after a quick check for updates, it just gave me 3102810 which downloaded and installed straight away.

Not sure if Sunday afternoon (UK BST) is a better time to download updates, but next month I'll be leaving mine until the Sunday when perhaps MS servers may not be so busy - shouldn't have told you that, now everyone will be trying it

Thanks
    Would someone please comment on kb 3127229. I've become wary of installing updates that Susan hasn't commented on--one completely removed sound and video from my laptop.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Charles

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That was a .NET Framework February 2016 release for v 4.5.2

I now have v 4.6.1 which superseded the v 4.5s and Disk Cleanup probably removed that one from my Win 7 x 64 system.

I've always installed .NET Framework updates without any adverse effects, but Windows does create a restore point prior to installation.

You could download v 4.6.1 then do a check for updates to see what else is offered, but from my own experience I would say that you can install that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=49981