Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Lightbulb Tutorial - Removing OEM Disk Partitions

Hey Y'all,

Since this seems to come up frequently I thought I'd publish a step-by-step how-to on the topic.

The following was done on my main desktop machine (Dell XPS8700) running Windows 10 Pro.

1. Make SURE you have a FULL DRIVE IMAGE AND WORKING RECOVERY MEDIA (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) FOR YOUR IMAGING PROGRAM!
    2. Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a WORKING WINDOWS RECOVERY DRIVE (CD/DVD or USB)!
    3. Make SURE (BOOT IT TO MAKE SURE!) you have a bootable copy of Partition Wizard Mini-Tool just in case!
    4. Re-Read Steps 1-3!
    5. Use Partition Wizard Mini-Tool's Explore function to decide which partitions you want to delete.

Starting Partition Setup:
      BegPartitions.PNG

Example of Explore feature (get there by right-clicking on the partition you want to explore)
      PWMT-Explore.PNG

NOTE: I'll be deleting the three (3) partitions following C: on Disk 1.
    6. With the Mini-Tool delete the selected partitions. Don't forget to Click the APPLY button!
    7. Reboot to make sure you haven't bolixed the boot process. Use the Windows Recovery Drive to recover from an error here (Fix Boot). If that fails dig out that Full Drive Image and Restore it.

Mid-point Partition Setup:
      MidPartitioins.PNG
    8. With the Mini-Tool extend your C: drive to use the free space. Again don't forget the Apply button.
    9. You'll get a message box like the following:
      PWMT Message.PNG
    10. Click the Restart option. You computer will reboot and make the changes at the "DOS" screen then reboot again back into Windows.
    11. Enjoy your new larger C: drive!

Final Partition Setup:
      AfterPartitions.PNG

HTH

Update: If you use a Clone, perfectly acceptable, remember to MAKE SURE YOU CAN BOOT FROM THE CLONE, or better yet make the changes to the Clone!
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-05-01 at 20:12.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

microwave (2016-10-06)