Lounger
    Thanks

Question HELP! IE11 "Save As" dialog can't see most folders

Hello,

I have a neighbor who just bought a new Windows 10 PC and I've been helping him to transfer his applications and set up the computer.

The other day we ran into a bizarre problem. He uses Acrobat X Standard to convert Web pages to PDF from banks and other accounts. The Adobe plug-in for IE11 seems to have carried over OK to the new computer, except that when he goes to convert a Web page to PDF, the "Save As" dialog will show him only a small subset of the available folders and files under Documents. The rest -- it's as if they didn't exist, as far as the Save As dialog is concerned. Before you start forming a hypothesis, though, please read on...

The only workaround I've come up with is to manually type the path to the folder where he wants to save the file; in that case, IE seems to remember it as a choice the next time he performs the same operation. But obviously this quickly gets tedious if he wants to save files in different places, and in any case the other PDF files in those folders won't show up, so he can't tell ahead of time if he's giving an existing name to a new file.

I've looked around the Web for reports of similar experiences, but nothing's turned up yet that sounds like the issue that he's run into.

What makes this situation strange is that Adobe on IE11 appears to be the ONLY combination that's having trouble listing all the files and folders in the Save As dialog. If he tries to convert a Web page using the Adobe extension in Firefox 43, all the expected files and folders show up fine and he can navigate to the specific folder where he wants to save his PDF. Also on IE11, if he saves the page as an XPS document, the available files and folders again show up properly in the Save As dialog. Even if he uses the built-in "Print to PDF" function in Microsoft Edge, he can see the other files and folders in the Save As without having to type them out by hand. But, for whatever reason, not Adobe's Convert Webpage to PDF in Internet Explorer.

What the heck could be going on, and how might we resolve this? I hope that the information above has provided enough clues for someone sufficiently expert to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there anything even slightly different about those "expected folders"? I'm thinking anything beyond plain vanilla folders in the Documents/My Documents folders, on a local C: drive.

Thus, could they be:

- cloud storage for Box, DropBox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, etc., including as replication sources for those cloud services?
    - redirects through symbolic links, junction points, or other volume pointers?
    - has the user moved their Documents folder to a volume other than C:?
    - could the user be storing to a users folder other than their own? I'm thinking specifically of the All Users/Public folders, but it could be any non-personal folder set?
    - are some of those folder resources network shares to other computers, a NAS, file server, or anything of that sort?
    - did the user recently change their login account, even after adopting Windows 10?
    - you're sure it is Acrobat X and not the newer Acrobat DC?
    - is the Windows 10 instance 32-bit or 64-bit?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for asking. I babysat the whole transfer process, so I can answer these questions:

* He's not using cloud storage of any kind.
    * There's nothing fancy or esoteric about where he's storing his files. Everything is in the Users/xxxxx folder (where "xxxxx" stands for his name) on the C: drive in his own computer. It's a system with a single hard disk, so there are not even any "OS SSD + data HDD" complications.
    * The login account is the same as when we first booted up the PC and entered his name and password on the login screen.
    * I can confirm that it's Acrobat X Standard and not Acrobat DC.
    * It's Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

I hope this will help to guide the search for a diagnosis. What's really puzzling is that this one combination of plugin and browser is somehow crippled, while all the other combinations (some of which include either the same browser or a plug-in from the same application) work just fine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, you got me. No strong ideas what could be going on.

Back in the Windows XP/Server 2003 era, there was still a strong distinction between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer. Acrobat is still a 32-bit product and I believe that IE is 64-bit only on a 64-bit OS since about Windows 7. You might have discovered a bug in the Acrobat plug-in and it might be related to the 32/64 bitness, but that's highly speculative.

Have you tried reporting this to Adobe?

Another tack could be this. There was a relatively short-lived Acrobat XI. My records show this lasting up to 11.0.08 (roughly). You could try upgrading this client to Acrobat XI or DC. It's an open question as to whether this would resolve the problem though.
    Last edited by BHarder; 2016-05-03 at 16:08. Reason: Updated version # for Acrobat XI.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that there had been an Acrobat XI. Maybe I'll suggest that (the PC isn't mine).

I can report it to Adobe, but hopes aren't very high that they'll do anything about it, considering that they stopped supporting Acrobat X last fall. But maybe a visit to their forum will turn up reports of similar experiences by other customers.

The next thing I'm trying is to rebuild the Search Index. My neighbor said today that he went to search for an old e-mail in Outlook and Outlook wouldn't return any results even though he can see the e-mails themselves on his screen just fine. That gave me the idea to try rebuilding the index. We'll see if it works.