Thread: LinkSys BEFSR41

New Lounger
    Thanks

LinkSys BEFSR41

Hi.
    I'm trying to hook a new LinkSys Router up to my @home cable modem and after several hours of not getting any where decided to ask for help. I think the problem is that Comcast@home uses a unique computer name to allow you access and I can't figure out where it goes. I'd love to get my wifes computer onto the broadband modem too and really don't want to have to resort to the reverse cable method. If any of you use the LinkSys with @home and can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated by both my wife and I. Please be patient with me as I am almost blind and wish I could increase the fonts on the manuals as easy as my computer. :> Having my wife read them to me sometimes loose a lot in the translation.

Thank you,

The Old One

Thom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: LinkSys BEFSR41

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with your router, or this type of setup for that matter. However, I've looked on the this page with possible help. You could maybe get the full text... without having to get your wife reading the manual for you.

Everybody's different... I know I myself need to read something, rather than have it read to me.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

I bought a NetGear. They had a CD with specific step-by-step on where to get the information and where to put it afterwards. This might also be on their web site.

If you are running Windows 98, use Start, Run... Winipcfg and look for your host name. During the set-up, your LinkSys box will impersonate your computer with that host name, while your real computers will get private addresses. At least that's my fuzzy recollection of it.

Thanks

I don't know if this is anything to worry about; I didn't click through to see if your model is affected.

<hr>*** {02.01.005} NApps - Linksys DSL router SNMP possible DDoS vulnerability

An advisory has surfaced indicating that various Linksys DSL routers,
    including the BEFN2PS4 and BEFSR81, will send SNMP diagnostic trap
    messages to the last address to properly query the SNMP service. If the
    default community string is unchanged (and Linksys does not provide
    a way to do this), then it's potentially possible to spoof an SNMP
    query. This in turn triggers the device to start sending the SNMP
    traps to the spoofed target.

This vulnerability has not been confirmed.

Source: SecurityFocus Bugtraq
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2002-01/0061.html>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bug...02-01/0061.html</A><hr>
    From the "Security Alert Consensus," available at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sans.org>http://www.sans.org</A>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Thom:

The following steps should get you going.

1)Connect your cable modem to your PC (the configuration you had before you bought the router).

2)Make sure you can connect to the internet.

3)Go to a DOS command prompt window. Type the command
    <font color=blue>ping -a mail</font color=blue>

Record the full url for your mail server. You will need it later.

4)Get your Comcast Host Name.
    If you are in W98 type the command <font color=blue>winipcfg</font color=blue> If you are using NT/2K/Xp type the command <font color=blue>ipconfig /all</font color=blue>

Record the "Host Name" for your system.

5)Reconnect router
    Shutdown your PC.
    Connect your PC to a router port and your cable modem to the router cable port.
    Restart your PC.

6)Configure your router.
    You should have received a manual with the router. Turn to and review the "Configuring your Network with the Cable/DSL Router" section. It is page 33 in my copy.

Start Internet Explorer
    Type <font color=blue>http://192.168.0.1</font color=blue> in the Address Bar. Press Enter.
    You should receive the configuration page for your router.
    Follow the instructions in the manual.

The critical points are to:
    a)Enter the Host Name you recorded in step 4 into the Host Name field for the router, and
    b)Configure the router for DHCP.

7)Reset Cable Modem. Reset Router.
    Reset the Cable Modem. Wait for it to finish synching with the cable network.
    Reset the router. Wait for it to stabilize.

8)Shutdown/Restart PC

9)Connect to the Internet.
    You should now be able to connect to the Internet via the router.

10)Fix your mail client.
    Replace the mail server address in your email client with the address recorded in step 3.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to those of you who replied tp my request for help. I have no idea why it's working at this point but it is!!!! My wife loves the broadband and its fun for us to bee able to share it.
    Had it working perfactly with her system and my old one but Zome Alarm Pro is burping a few too many times on my new Dell. I was surprised to find LinkSys and Zone Alarm Pro along with Treand Mico anti virus all working together to combine thier products. Oh my the typos. I'll have to put tje new covers on the.keyboard soon so I can see what I'm typing. :> I hope to pick up Wooies new book on XP soon. I like it so far but is like landing on a new planet. Or me going fro 5 years of running a BBS on a suped up (for those days) Atari ST and moving to running it on Dos the last few years it exsisted.
    Thanks again for the help everyone!

Tom