Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import .pst into Thunderbird?

has anyone ever done it? Does anyone know of a way to import Outlook into Thunderbird? There does not appear to be a way to do it. The import choice for Outlook is greyed out and everyone who answers questions about that seems to think that therre is a reason for it and it's OK. There does not appear to be a path from Outlook to TB.

Thanks
    I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for years now, and I cannot remember finding any way to import pst data into T-bird. I hope you can find some 3rd party utility that can "read and parse" pst file and export info into some format that t-bird could import.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may not be what you're looking for, but you might want to check out MailStore Home.
    http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstor...archiving.aspx

A few years ago I used MailStore Home (a previous version) when I decided to archive all my old Outlook Express email and Windows Live Mail, then switch to Thunderbird.
    I noticed that their website mentions *.PST files now.

Thanks
    If you export the email from Outlook to .EML format you might be able to import it into Thunderbird.

I have had to help many customers with the same problem, but usually use "Emailchemy" to extract the emails (not free).

http://weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/index.html
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I won't get a chance to try either of those today...maybe tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me to them. I'll try the free solution (Mailstore) first.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you not just drag & drop the emails? You may have to drag them out of Outlook on to your desktop (or other folder), then drag them into TB.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Can you not just drag & drop the emails? You may have to drag them out of Outlook on to your desktop (or other folder), then drag them into TB.
    Haven't tried that. Not sure I have the time...that's a lot of emails.

Thanks
    If the drag and drop works on one or two emails, perhaps do 10-20 [one by one] clumps as time permits. Have you looked into the other solution ideas posted?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mccornwall View Post
    Haven't tried that. Not sure I have the time...that's a lot of emails.
    <Ctrl+A> selects all. Note that dragging them out of Outlook (or any client) only copies, not moves, them. While they're still selected, you can just press <Del>, unless you want to keep the .pst file as an extra backup. Then again, you could just make a copy of the .pst file before you start.

Thanks
    Again not sure if it is what you want but Thunderbird has an import function.(Tools\Import) I do not use Outlook and can not experiment but if you have a running copy of Outlook that should work.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Again not sure if it is what you want but Thunderbird has an import function.(Tools\Import) I do not use Outlook and can not experiment but if you have a running copy of Outlook that should work.
    The Outlook portion of the TB import function is greyed out and apparently has been for over 10 version numbers as people have indicated in the TB forums. SO it will require some third party path.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mailstore Home did the trick. Archive the .pst, then Export it to a file folder. TB sucked the file folder right in. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! Thanks for posting.

RockE