5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSN Home page white space

I'm not sure whether or not this is the right forum for this topic as I suspect it isn't limited to Windows 10 but if a moderator wants to move it to a more appropriate forum that's ok with me.

I just upgraded 2 computers to Windows 10 and am using MSN
    There's a lot of white space at the top of the home page
    Is there a way to close up that white space?
    MSN White space.PNG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed that on a number of pages/sites and more than 1 browser, assume it's simply that an advertisement hasn't yet finished loading or the coding of the page can't find it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "an advertisement hasn't yet finished loading or the coding of the page can't find it" I suspect that is the case. I just checked another computer using Win10 at the office plus a Win7 laptop and the white space is there also when using MSN.
    --- Although it isn't a performance problem I was hoping to eliminate the white space but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Thanks
    I was able to catch the advert loading:

adverts.png
    Click to enlarge

I guess they can't pre-load the advert as the coding behind it has to work out who you are, your location, any of your preferences that have previously been data-mined, etc. all before displaying what they think is most likely to get you to click on the ad. Page loads may be faster if you save them all that bother and just use the Sign in link so even more data can be harvested.

Cynical? Moi?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See how www.google.com loads or hit the refresh button on MSN.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Since this months Win10 updates, that white space does include an ad now most of the time; once in while its still white space but about 90% of the time an ad does appear on my home computer.

Thanks
    I suggest you try a decent ad-blocker in your browser to try and get an acceptable compromise if theses adverts/white spaces eventually bother you.
    The image below shows an MSN page with no ad-blocker (empty space) and the same page with the ad-blocker active.

My examples above are using Firefox 46.0.1 browser and uBlock Origin as my preferred ad-blocker.

uBlock > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...ublock-origin/

Note: Ad-blockers, there are several good ones out there, can potentially block all adverts in a page but the better ones allow a user to have a certain amount of control allowing adverts to be blocked or allowed via the settings/options.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to consider an ad block before I posted this thread.
    I just noticed it probably would have been a good idea to include the fact that my Yahoo pages ads are loaded immediately without any issues and the ads don't bother me.
    I was wondering whether or not I could close up that MSN white space but prior answers are correct pointing out coding or that the ad just never loads.