Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Win7 stops responding when idle

If I go away and leave my computer running when I return it will freeze up and stop responding does anyone know if there is a fix?. I have Goggled the problem but no help there. A fix would be appreciated thanks in advance.
    Lyle Hensley
    Really Enjoying Every Breath
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't leave your computer running?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have a look in Event Viewer to see what errors are recorded - you could also check reliability history by going Start - start to type reliability and press enter or click on View reliability history when that is highlighted.

Just to add to FN's "useful" suggestion, do you think it knows when you are returning for when to do that

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My reply was snarky, based upon the complete lack of any information other than it's presumably a computer and it is running Windows 7. And the OP is at least in their late 70's.

It sounds like--but I don't know--the PC goes into standby or sleep mode and fails to wake back up. One assumes this is a new phenomenon on an previously working fine old computer.

Make, and model name and number of PC?

Such issues are not simple to track down or fix. There should be multiple ways of waking the PC; does keyboard clicks OR mouse (if?) movement (do both) not work? If neither works to wake the PC(?) when both are tried then neither is likely the cause. Are they USB based keyboard or mouse or PS/2 (the round plugs) based? [It can be a USB issue.] Are the keyboard and mouse wireless? [It can be a battery/wifi dongle issues.]

So, any new apps installed right before this started?

Any changes to a screen saver or power down (sleep) mode before this started?

Something has changed: Failed component, altered setting, installed app or update and it happened at the time of the change. The event viewer may diagnose though it is not easy for the average user to use. Select (type) "View reliability history" from Start Search box may or may not be more useful than Event Viewer.

Check if "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked in Device Manager.
    a. Click Start, type Device manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
    b. Select keyboard, it will display your keyboard, right click and select ‘Properties’.
    c. Select the ‘Power management’ tab.
    d. Check the “Allow this device to wake the computer” check box.
    e. Repeat these steps for your Mouse as well. [I'm guessing both are already set up to wake the PC. If they are not then something recently altered them.]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266283

Not knowing your computer diagnostic capabilities, but given the dearth of details I suspect you will have to hire someone to diagnose and fix the issue.

Another possibility is to disable sleep mode all together and leave it running. When bedtime comes shutdown the PC. Either way, constantly cold rebooting many times a day from a frozen PC is far worse for the PC. Especially an older PC and will lead to premature failure.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-03 at 11:17.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't appear to be showing any signs of Sleep or Hibernate if everything is still on but not responsive from what has been posted.

I was wondering if turning Hibernate off, a reboot and then back on may help.

@ valleyman7

You can do this by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then type this cmd and press enter to turn it off -

powercfg -h off

shutdown /r t 00

which will close the cmd window and effect an immediate reboot then type and press enter this cmd to turn it back on -

powercfg -h on

shutdown /r /t 00

Then give us some feedback on any progress.

You could leave it turned off altogether if you don't use Hibernate and that will free up about 6GB on your HDD.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-03 at 11:30.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope this capture will provide the necessary information about my system. First the hibernation and and screen display have been turned off. I prefer not to use them. When the system stops responding the only option is to hard boot. If I start to do something it will stop responding the allow me to continue for a second or two and stop responding again. This is a fresh install. I am not really sure what else I need to add. I have two more desktops and one laptop and they don't have this issue. I ran the Dell diagnostic and didn't receive any errors. Let me also say I am 75 and not tech savvy. The temp seem to be OK also it runs usually 37 Celsius.
    My computer.PNG
    Lyle Hensley
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How do you mean the screen display has been turned off ?

Has the machine froze up on you without you going away to give some sort of time frame on this ?

I don't think it will be memory as this would give you other problems as well, but running a memory test wouldn't hurt.

I notice that you have 8GB RAM fitted - if this comprises of more than one module, then you would have to remove so that the memory test only runs on one stick at a time because Windows Memory Diagnostics can only map a max of 4GB and you only run a memory test on one module at a time anyway as a problem with one can be masked by a working one.

You could use Dell Diagnostics for that if it has a memory test or just use Windows Memory Diagnostics.

You could also check to see if your hard disk requires defragmentation by going Start - type defrag and press enter when Disk Defragmenter is highlighted or click on that, then hit the Analyze button to see what it reports when done.

Go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the data you will be presented with Critical, Errors and Warning etc. in the upper pane.

If you aren't then click on the box next to Event Viewer (Local).

I'm not sure if you'll have any Critical but if they are just Event ID 41 then ignore those as they will be from your power shutdowns.

Click on Errors then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane then clicking on any in the upper pane will give a brief info of the error in the lower pane.

Look for those with a date and time stamp for when the freezes occurred.

There is a blue online help link in the lower pane and clicking on this will open a MS page with more details of cause and possible solutions if it has anything on the source and Event ID No.

For our perusal you can post any you think relevant after clicking on any by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then right click in the reply box and select Paste.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-06 at 16:57.

Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you mean the screen display has been turned off ? Set to Never, Dell Diagnostics ran it and all passed ran it twice. I use a utility called Reliability Monitor. It showed Acronis True image 2016. Turned all to manual and stopped by advise Scheduler. The past three days no indications of issues but still stops responding. I give up thanks to all who replied. I am 75 and to damn old to put up with the trouble shooting. Recycle time and get the laptop out. Thanks again. I will not be checking back and I am not receiving any emails which I thought I had that option. Thanks again.
    "GOD BLESS AMERICA PLEASE"
    Lyle Hensley Enjoying Every Breath
    Retired US Army1957 – 1978
    Lyle Hensley
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not just put it in to a repair shop to see if they can fathom what is freezing it up - if you cam manage with the withdrawal symptoms of being without it for a few days

Anyway Lyle, keep enjoying those breaths

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to but on my Military pay I can't really afford it. They just took 20% of my disability $220.00 a month because I was told by the contractor Dr. after 30 minutes asking me if I had seen any dead body's or was around Agent Orange while in Vietnam. Then the rest of my review was it was her daughters birthday the next day and she really had a lot to do and needed to get back home. I appealed but I doubt it will be approved. They need the money so they can pay the big bonuses and pay the people who really need to be fired. I am just waiting for the next shoe to drop. That also is the reason I bought this computer off of eBay and I haven't heard back from the seller and don't think I will. One last thing I spent money wiping the HD and installed a clean 64bit windows7 pro hoping that would fix the issue. I also put a new G-force 210 I guess it's time to quit winning so I am off to get some cheese. I am done and thanks for all the help.
    Lyle Hensley
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978