Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Win 7 Ultimate x64

Hello:

I believe I have found a lead to one of the reasons for the slowness of my Windows 7. It is slow when opening certain apps and when opening folders in DOPUS (Win Expl replacement). Never had problems before, but after installing Win 10 (and quickly abanding it) and then doing a CLEAN install of Win 7, I have these problems (I also have a new motherboard).

I had Sysinternal's Process Monitor running, and when I had a slowdown, I noted the time to the second. And, in the Process Monitor log, I discovered a 6 second row of thousands and thousands of lines containing this line (most important, I believe):

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\ZoneMap

and some variations of it.

Would anyone know what this indicates and how I can fix it?

I have Internet Explorer 11 and the latest Norton Internet Security.

Thanks,

Hans L
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-05-03 at 16:37. Reason: Addes NoParse tags - didn't help!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans L
    And, in the Process Monitor log, I discovered a 6 second row of thousands and thousands of lines containing this line (most important, I believe):

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\ZoneMap

and some variations of it.
    Without knowing the initiating process (Process Name), whether it's reading (RegQuery, RegQueryKey, RegQueryValue, RegEnumValue - usually safe) or writing (potentially unsafe - could be malware trying to add a compromised domain to IE's 'Trusted' zone) (Operation) and whether or not the operation was successful (Result), it's impossible to advise without more information.

In addition, was it a single instance over 6 seconds and was it from an unknown process (perhaps with an apparently randomised filename) or repeated instances from a known process?

Perhaps someone can advise better if you attach a filtered .PML file showing better info?

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's something to do with IE's security writing to the zone map for websites - but don't ask me to explain it

Do you have multiple windows open when this occurs ?

You could try resetting all zones to default under the Security tab in Internet options or just reset IE to defaults, but as you know the exact time this occurred, check Event Viewer for relevant time stamped errors - reliability history may also have some info for when it occurred.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sorry for the long delay in responding, but I have had a few issues off the computer that needed attention. I will turn on Process Monitor again this week and record and save and create a .pml file. I'll be back.

Thanks/Hans L
    Last edited by Hans L; 2016-05-08 at 16:50.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sorry for the long delay in responding, but I have had a few issues off the computer that needed attention. Yes, I had several windows open (always three monitors on). I will check with Process Monitor on first, and then try the default route. Thanks,

Hans L

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Cut down your usage to just one monitor and then check Process Explorer.

What does Task Manager/Performance show during these slowdowns in relation to CPU and memory usage ?

Not sure if a new motherboard is significant if it is the same make & model as the previous one or if you are using the best type of RAM for the new mobo.

Did the new mobo come between abandoning Win 10 and the clean install of Win 7 ?

What is the fragmentation status of the HDD - 0 to low fragmentation will aid Virtual Memory.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Cut down your usage to just one monitor and then check Process Explorer.
    What does Task Manager/Performance show during these slowdowns in relation to CPU and memory usage ?
    Not sure if a new motherboard is significant if it is the same make & model as the previous one or if you are using the best type of RAM for the new mobo.
    Did the new mobo come between abandoning Win 10 and the clean install of Win 7 ?
    What is the fragmentation status of the HDD - 0 to low fragmentation will aid Virtual Memory.
    Will use only one monitor after next slowdown with three. Will turn on Task Manager and check. Motherboard is not at all the same. New CPU, new mb, and new RAMs (which I am sure are good). New mobo came right before switch from first Win 7 to Win 10.

As for fragmentation: I have an SSD for the C: folder and have read on the Web that one should not regularly defrag, as it would wear out the SSD unnecessarily fast. However, one defrag would probably not hurt. So, I will reinstall my Diskeeper and do one defrag of C and of the other drives, which are on an HDD.

Regards,

Hans L

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You shouldn't defrag a SSD at all, so you should turn the Defrag schedule off.

Win 7 will detect you have a SSD and TRIM will look after that, but with the SSD installed, check that TRIM is turned on -

http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable...7-windows-8-1/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, TRIM was ON in Diskeeper, so it did not do a defrag (the process took about 15 seconds). My Win 7 TRIM is ON.

Thank you!

Hans L

Thanks
    Checking whether TRIM is 'turned' on' only checks that it's turned on in the OS, for TRIM to be active, it also requires the SATA drivers to support TRIM.

TrimCheck or Hard Disk Sentinel will enable you to verify it.

I believe TRIM is enabled (fsutil shows that), but Hard Disk Sentinel shows it is DISABLED. Why?

There is a big difference between the TRIM feature being enabled and being active. Enabled just means that the OS will send the TRIM command to the SSD device (via the controller driver where the SSD is connected), but that does not guarantee that the SSD will actually receive the TRIM command.

The fsutil shows if the operating system in general uses the TRIM function or not.
    The result of this is completely useless - as it returns 0 (TRIM "working") even if there is no SSD present in the system.

If the result is 0, it means that the operating system is prepared to send the TRIM command for the proper device (an SSD with TRIM function supported).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i've had a similar problem.
    i recently upgraded from W7 home premium 32 bit to 64.
    there were MANY issues, as not all previous applications would work with 64.
    after solving (and patching these), i still found the machine TREMENDOUSLY SLOW, to open applications and general dragging and moving icon / folders / files between the screens of the two monitors i'm using.
    finally, a glance at task manager "found the culprit"
    100 % CPU usage, due to windows update service [WUS] "kidnapping the cpu"
    in MY CASE, in spite of exploring the web , m$ site, downloading heir sipposed cure (KB3102810) for the problem, still i haven't been able to get a DECENT situation.
    MY patch (rather compromise solution?) is > task manager > services and find that service, stop and disable it
    of course, i don't get the AUTOMATIC UPDATES from m$ (unless i restart, in which case WUS will restart).
    as i use thunderbird as email client, i set an event reminder to restart-enable back WUS on Saturdays; just to check what updates might be available, if any.
    life goes on.... and i've tried to make the best out of it....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Checking whether TRIM is 'turned' on' only checks that it's turned on in the OS, for TRIM to be active, it also requires the SATA drivers to support TRIM.

TrimCheck or Hard Disk Sentinel will enable you to verify it.
    SanDisk SSD Dashboard says, under Optimization >TRIM: TRIM allows the operating system to request the selected SSD to free up the space used to free up the sapce used by files that have since been deleted. [ ] Enable Windows TRIM

I take this to mean that my SSD (SanDisk, or course) receives TRIM requests.

Hans L

Thanks
    Yes, provided the other components (SATA driver version) in between allow the requests to pass.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#trim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I normally run with the Windows Update Service (WUS) turned off (disabled). When I want it to be running, for example to run Windows Update, I run a batch file which starts the service, runs Windows Update (the batch file waits on a PAUSE while Windows Update runs), then closes and disables the service. A second PAUSE at the end lets me see what happened:
    ::
    :: Start the Windows Update service.
    sc config wuauserv start= auto
    net start wuauserv
    :: Now run Windows Update. Pause when finished.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapp.exe Startmenu
    pause
    :: When finished, stop the service and disable it.
    net stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start= disabled
    pause
    Other programs which require the Windows Update Service to be running, such as Secunia, are started with a similar batch file. I also have a startup script which stops and disables the WUS during the startup, in case it was running or enabled when the system was last shut down. One exception to that is when Windows Update installs updates and says that the system must be restarted. In that case I click "Restart now" without allowing the batch file to terminate. That way, the WUS will still be running after the restart, while the update process is completed. The startup script kicks in after that and shuts it down.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2016-05-12 at 00:31.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

audiogram (2016-05-12),danielr2 (2016-05-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Attachment 47554

I am using Hard Disk Sentinel trial version, and here is the TRIM info I believe is relevant. Is TRIM enabled or not? Thanks for verification.

Hans L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast