Thanks

Question Explanation Please

Every time I check for updates, Windows offers Silverlight. I had it years ago, but deleted it when no longer needed. I cannot find it in Explorer or the Registry, but it still shows up. Where is Windows finding Silverlight on my machine??? And how do I stop it from being offered in Updates???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    How did you delete it?
    Joe

Thanks
    Don't remember.

Thanks
    If I remember correctly there are 8 different offerings of Silverlight, the only difference being the KB number. You need to keep hiding each Silverlight offering then manually check for updates again until it's exhausted its list.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Silverlight usually comes as part of Windows Essentials, but it has its own entry in Programs and Features where it can be uninstalled.

It may be just one of those updates that MS chuck out as I often get one for Skype on an older laptop that has never had it installed and doesn't even have a camera installed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    If I remember correctly there are 8 different offerings of Silverlight, the only difference being the KB number. You need to keep hiding each Silverlight offering then manually check for updates again until it's exhausted its list.
    I find you can hide it until you're blue in the face, and it still comes up when you look again, perhaps after a reboot. I just treat it with a complete ignoral...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-05),satrow (2016-05-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same thing, but (for me at least) it's listed as optional rather than recommended so it's easy to ignore. I do sometimes see updates for MS software I don't have - Outlook is another one.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I don't know why I didn't think of it before... here's a screenshot of each Silverlight release that I've hidden on my Win 7 PC, with KB numbers, to date. I was wrong... it's 10, not 8.

silverlight.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-05)

Thanks
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Update suppose to check only the programs installed on each individual machine? If so, it must be detecting an installed program that you might have unknowingly installed or thought you had uninstalled. Where does Update look to determine which updates are needed? There must be some hidden location which we cannot find. Maybe one of the experts has knowledge of this and can explain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Update suppose to check only the programs installed on each individual machine? If so, it must be detecting an installed program that you might have unknowingly installed or thought you had uninstalled. Where does Update look to determine which updates are needed? There must be some hidden location which we cannot find. Maybe one of the experts has knowledge of this and can explain.
    Not sure if this is an answer or not but I have been offered Skype in "Optional" a number of times and I have never-ever had Skype on my W7 computer so I hid it each time.

Thanks
    I have also been offered the Skype updates (and hid them) and have never installed Skype. I am running Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 on 2 computers.

I also have the same list of Silverlight updates hidden as Rick Corbett on 2 different computers. One computer has never had Silverlight, the other I installed Silverlight long enough to let Windows Update enable "Get updates for other Microsoft products along with Windows updates" to get office support updates. Then I removed Silverlight.