New Lounger
    Thanks

File Access Denied

I have a VB.Net application that installs in the Program Files (x86)\application name\bin folder. The bin folder also contains a static data file that is permitted as read only. The application runs perfectly in development where the bin folder is located in the VS\projects\application name\bin folder. However when the deployed application is run, it throws the error "access to path denied". This is the path to the folder in which the application resides. I am at a loss to understand why access is denied to a file in the folder containing the application. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fritzsche,

You don't mention the version of windows in use, I'll assume W10.

In development are you using an Admin Account?

Is the machine/account running the program, when Access is Denied, running as a "Standard User"

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Fritzsche,

You don't mention the version of windows in use, I'll assume W10.

In development are you using an Admin Account?

Is the machine/account running the program, when Access is Denied, running as a "Standard User"

HTH
    This happens running Win 10 or 8.1 using a standard account running as a standard user.

Thanks
    Fritzche,

If the program is installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86) Standard Users are barred from writing to these locations, e.g. installing software.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fritzche,

If the program is installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86) Standard Users are barred from writing to these locations, e.g. installing software.

HTH
    The application does not write to the file. It reads data from the file. The contents of the file is never changed. That is what has me puzzled. It is my understanding that you can read a file as a standard user.

Thanks
    Fritzsche,

Could you post a screen shot of the Security tab for the file after selecting the appropriate user in the Group or user names: box on one of the machines/userids with the problem?

Example:
    FileSecurity.PNG

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's possible your program is attempting to open the file read/write and therefore you get access denied.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Security.PNG
    Fritzsche,

Could you post a screen shot of the Security tab for the file after selecting the appropriate user in the Group or user names: box on one of the machines/userids with the problem?

Example:
    FileSecurity.PNG

HTH
    I have attached the screen shot. I hope it came through.
    Security.PNG

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Process Monitor will track file access requests and show you what's happening.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Process Monitor will track file access requests and show you what's happening.

cheers, Paul

Interesting tool. Here is what it shows me.

ProcessMonitor Shot.PNG

The code opens the file SitRpt.dta as a random file and then opens another file for output, ReportK. It sets SitRpt.dat to the first record by a seek statement and then gets the first record and prints the record to the text file ReportK. It continues doing this for a few records and then moves to a different location via a seek statement to move more text from SitRpt.dat to ReportK. This does not seem to be what the Process Monitor is reporting as it shows opening SitRpt.dta twice and closing it if that is what CreateFile means. It then attempts to open it a third time and throws the error. I must not be interpreting this correctly. And it does not copy enough records to even think about advancing to a different position in the file.

Dave
    Last edited by Fritzsche; 2016-05-11 at 18:47. Reason: Tried unsuccessfully to paste the image.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The image shows an attempt to create the file with "generic read/write" and this fails. Can you change your code to open the file, read it's contents into memory and then close the file?

p.s. the dangers of developing with full rights cannot be overstated. I have had many problems installing badly behaved software on corporate networks where we limit user access.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The file contains a series of text messages. The specific message read depended upon the users response and was located using the seek statement. It appears that moving around the file using the seek statement is treated as a write activity and thus throws the error. I finally decided to convert the file into a series of text files from which a user can choose. The text file is read successfully. Thanks for helping me understand what was going on. I am still not sure why moving with a seek statement is considered a write activity, but the problem is solved by moving to text files.

Dave

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glad you sorted it out.

cheers, Paul