Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Attention Windows Live Mail users

See Using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Outlook.com? Time to update your email application!.

NOTE: I do not know if this applies to older versions of WLM but I'm guessing it does
    Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-05-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I've read so far, I'm guessing that it does affect older versions. At the same time, I understand that if you subscribe to Office 365, your WLM 12 should continue to work.

Although I have Outlook 2010 installed, I've never really liked it and prefer WLM, but for lack of choice might have to migrate to it - instead of upgrading to Windows 10 and the Mail App that comes with it.

I'm averse to upgrading to the free version of Windows 10 because my desktop is 6 years old (but still running strong) - and don't want the hassle of resetting and reconfiguring my system.

If you do have Outlook and are considering using it instead, there are some important things to know before making the change. Try the following link for more info http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...okcom-account/

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    The point about Office 365 is that you get the current version of Office Pro Plus (i.e. the Office desktop applications) including Outlook. Microsoft is making changes so all its properties which deal with email use the same underlying technology so one set of APIs are used to access any Microsoft based email. IF WLM will work with Office 365 I doubt it will for long.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are there other options?

I don't use the Office apps often enough anymore that it makes it worth upgrading, I am still running Office 2003 and it works just fine for me. I really like Windows Live Mail, I have tried the Mail app that comes with W10 and am unimpressed. I would like to keep using HotLook, (what I call the Hotmail/Outlook hybrid) since I have had that e-mail address for over 20 years. The Mail app doesn't have Contacts and it makes me hunt around for most of my folders. Who thought that was a good idea?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Are there other options?

I don't use the Office apps often enough anymore that it makes it worth upgrading, I am still running Office 2003 and it works just fine for me. I really like Windows Live Mail, I have tried the Mail app that comes with W10 and am unimpressed. I would like to keep using HotLook, (what I call the Hotmail/Outlook hybrid) since I have had that e-mail address for over 20 years. The Mail app doesn't have Contacts and it makes me hunt around for most of my folders. Who thought that was a good idea?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    The Win10 mail app uses contacts defined in the People app automatically. If you don't want to use Outlook try the web interface. Not sure what third party clients will work after WLM doesn't.
    Joe

Thanks
    Outlook is pretty much your only choice other than pure web based.
    Outlook is a major pain in the ass to set up for my Hotmail account because of their "Exchange" tech.
    One will need a third party app (Authenticator) to generate a password to get through two-step authentication.

I'll be setting it up in the next week or two, will advise further.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My experience with newer versions of Outlook (2013 & 2016) is that Outlook automatically configures Hotmail accounts very well.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried using the Windows 10 Mail app. Surely, no one with any knowledge of how this stuff should work ever said, "Yep, this is ready for Prime Time!". This is the best alternative? Must be the same people that designed Edge.

Wow, this is so bad. Doesn't show my folders, unless I specifically add them as favorites, can't add a folder, no option to empty Junk Mail folder, (well, there is one but it doesn't work). I'm going to try Outlook 2003 and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm stuck with the online version.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS are being rather tight-lipped about 3rd party email clients.

My own Outlook.com account was upgraded some time ago, and it works fine with Thunderbird. However, if this is another upgrade, I suppose it depends whether or not they continue to allow existing protocols to work side-by-side with the Exchange ones. If they do, all well and good. If not, Thunderbird won't work without an addon; there is one available [link] but it's not free (just US$10 a year). Others will probably come on line in the future.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    MS are being rather tight-lipped about 3rd party email clients.

My own Outlook.com account was upgraded some time ago, and it works fine with Thunderbird. However, if this is another upgrade, I suppose it depends whether or not they continue to allow existing protocols to work side-by-side with the Exchange ones. If they do, all well and good. If not, Thunderbird won't work without an addon; there is one available [link] but it's not free (just US$10 a year). Others will probably come on line in the future.
    If your account has been upgraded and it works with Thunderbird it will continue to work. The article is addressed to the 300 or so million accounts which have not yet been upgraded and are using WLM.

Microsoft is not obligated to worry about 3rd party clients on its own.
    Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

tonyl (2016-05-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think there is some confusion here; this isn't about Outlook, Microsoft's email and calendar software, but Outlook.com, Microsoft's web based email client.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I think there is some confusion here; this isn't about Outlook, Microsoft's email and calendar software, but Outlook.com, Microsoft's web based email client.
    It is not about the web mail client but the underlying outlook.com mail service and what client software can be used to connect to the service.
    Joe

Thanks
    I'd say if you were happy with WLM and want an something that's not too dissimilar then eM client is around to try
    http://www.emclient.com/

its easy to set up. download and add your accounts. only thing is, if you have more than two accounts you will have to pay for the Pro version, but I don`t need to because I only have the two. on win10 I see that the eM client import button looks for data from the system to import.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The point about Office 365 is that you get the current version of Office Pro Plus (i.e. the Office desktop applications) including Outlook. Microsoft is making changes so all its properties which deal with email use the same underlying technology so one set of APIs are used to access any Microsoft based email. IF WLM will work with Office 365 I doubt it will for long.
    JoeP517

Yes, you do get the Office 365 Personal (Not Pro Plus) free for one year and chargeable thereafter. (I do have Office 2010 Professional - but when I click on the link, it guides me to download Office 365 Personal). Might be a better idea to SEPARATELY get the Office 365 ProPlus or Office 365 Home - which you can install on upto 5 computers - although I have been reading that some functions such as Pivot tables don't work well in Office 365 Home. Suggest that you download the different versions of Home, Personal and ProPlus.

FYI : Office 365 is a desktop application. The difference between Office 365 Proplus and Office 2016 Professional is that the former is a subscription based suite and installable on 5 systems (as far as I know) whereas the latter is tied to one computer and has a one time purchase fee.

IMO, Office 2016 Professional is not worth it as there might be complications if your system "dies" and you want to transfer the license to another system. At $12 per month per user for Office 365 ProPlus, it would take 3 years for Office 2016 Professional to become cost effective, and who know when MS will come up with newer versions - which may be automatically integrated into the subscription of Office 365 ProPlus.

With regard to WLM in Office 365, I agree that it will eventually be done away - and as MS says in their email "we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows" - if you upgrade to Windows 10.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Dee; 2016-05-09 at 05:33.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It is not about the web mail client but the underlying outlook.com mail service and what client software can be used to connect to the service.
    Actually, they are both interlinked as your originating thread appeared to ask for alternatives to WLM-12

If people who used Outlook to access their Hotmail accounts received the same email, then it seems that the only way to download email to the desktop client is either to upgrade to Windows 10 and/or upgrade to Office 365 - unless other 3rd party desktop email clients latch onto ways to overcome the migration to Outlook.com

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Dee; 2016-05-09 at 05:18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast