Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Star Lounger jgstanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Free Upgrade Ends

    Microsoft has stated that the free upgrade eligibility to Windows 10 will end on July 29, 2016. After that, it will cost USD $119 to upgrade...

    Does that finally mean that those of us that do not want this upgrade or can not successfully upgrade to Windows 10 can finally get on with business as usual after this date, without having to jump through hoops to avoid this potentially unwanted upgrade?

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    554
    Thanked 137 Times in 128 Posts
    One hopes.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 50 Times in 22 Posts
    WS Loungers have described how to download an install version of Windows 10, to, say, a memory stick.

    If I were to do that, but to delay actually installing Win 10 until some date after 29 Jul 16, would my upgrade still be free-of-charge? In other words, is the critical date the date that I download Win 10, or the date that I activate it? At present, I am a contented Win 7 Pro 64-bit user, but I'm probably going to have to go to Win 10 sooner or later.

  4. #4
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgstanley View Post
    Microsoft has stated that the free upgrade eligibility to Windows 10 will end on July 29, 2016. After that, it will cost USD $119 to upgrade...

    Does that finally mean that those of us that do not want this upgrade or can not successfully upgrade to Windows 10 can finally get on with business as usual after this date, without having to jump through hoops to avoid this potentially unwanted upgrade?
    That would be my guess, but I'm not letting down my guard.

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    554
    Thanked 137 Times in 128 Posts
    My understanding is the transformation must occur by July 29th. But you can image your present drive, swap the OS, then image that, then re-image your old setup and be ready to go if you decide much later to swap to Win10.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,577
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    According to Microsoft when you upgrade and get the digital entitlement that entitlement for that PC is permanently recorded in your Microsoft account. So, the successful upgrade is the key. It needs to be done before July 29.

    Also, according to Microsoft they will gradually withdraw the GWX functionality after July 29. Once removed there should not be any more nagging to upgrade via GWX. That does not mean there won't be ads or banners urging you to go to Win10.
    Joe

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    Fascist Nation (2016-05-06)

  8. #7
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    According to Microsoft when you upgrade and get the digital entitlement that entitlement for that PC is permanently recorded in your Microsoft account. So, the successful upgrade is the key. It needs to be done before July 29.

    Also, according to Microsoft they will gradually withdraw the GWX functionality after July 29. Once removed there should not be any more nagging to upgrade via GWX. That does not mean there won't be ads or banners urging you to go to Win10.
    Is this the same as the Microsoft account (vs local account) that you create when you are setting up a new user account in Windows?

  9. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,577
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The same Microsoft account you use when you upgrade and login to Win10.
    Joe

  10. #9
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The same Microsoft account you use when you upgrade and login to Win10.
    What if you have a local account, not a Microsoft account?

  11. #10
    Super Moderator Rick Corbett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Glos., UK
    Posts
    2,143
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 579 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps
    What if you have a local account, not a Microsoft account?
    The activation is based/stored on what Microsoft calls a "digital entitlement" (i.e. whether the device has an authenticated pre-qualifying activation from W7 or W8.1) rather than whatever user account (MS or local) that you use to log in to that device.

    At the moment there is no clear information from MS whether, for example, using a pre-saved GenuineTicket will let you Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First after July 29.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-05-06 at 21:28.

  12. #11
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    I would advise that if at some future date after the July 29 cutoff date you might want to upgrade to Windows 10, first make a current and complete drive image of your now-favorite Windows 0S. Next, go ahead and go through the upgrade process to Windows 10 and check to make certain that it is indeed activated before the cutoff date. That will give your PC a "Windows 10 Activated Installation" machine ID in Microsoft's database. Then restore your drive image of your current-favorite Windows OS and go about your merry way.

    I would caution, however, that if at some point in the future you might choose to upgrade some hardware, I would restore the Windows 10 installation to get that hardware change recognized and duly activated, and then go back to your other OS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  13. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,577
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Oops. My bad. Your digital entitlement is saved by Microsoft independent of any account information.
    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •